This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Glen Johnson.....

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by mossy199, Nov 21, 2011.

1. mossy199

mossy199
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Lets start playing him in midfield....

Discuss.....

2. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Nope, not for me.

The best right back at the club, Englands number one right back, why would we move him? I believe we could still do with someone for the right side, but in Dirk & Henderson we have enough to keep us going until Jan / summer window.

Kelly is a hell of player, and we are incredibly lucky to have two very good right backs at the club, but I don't think we should be moving a player out of his best position to facilitate another.

Leave him where he is I say.

3. Kop On

Kop On
    Expand Collapse

I’ve thought about this and can only assume as it’s never been done by Rafa, Roy or Kenny that Glen himself does not want to play right midfield or doesn’t feel comfortable playing there.

I actually think we could have a super right side with Kelly right back and Glen ahead of him but there must be a reason it hasn’t been done. Glen isn’t getting into the England squad as a right midfielder, Adam Johnson and Miner would both be ahead of him. His place at right back (in the squad at least) is secure for the moment. It is most likely him and Micah Richards to fight it out for a starting place at Euro 2012.

It’s a strange one though cause there’s been times when we’ve been crying out for a bit of attacking flair on the right hand side and he’s never been considered. I think he could be really good there, a similar case to Gareth Bale.

4. luscaa

luscaa
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

rather johnson on the right than kuyt tbh

5. mossy199

mossy199
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I think he will be Englands third place right back....with Walker and Richards playing consistantly better than him..and can defend!

On an aside..we need to start getting Kelly into the centre back role i feel..similar to what Carra did. In 2 years time, im hoping that our first choice centre backs will be Kelly and Coates are first choice by then.

6. luscaa

luscaa
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

i agree but for now kuyt is muck and johnson would do well in midfield i think,especially against the so called big teams

7. mossy199

mossy199
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Bascially.... this is what im thinking...

We need to play Johnson as a f**kin winger.....
    Start playing Henderson in the "Gerard" Role...drop Adam
    Start Bellamy every game.
    Kelly Righback
    Dont start Carragher.....
    Cut Carroll's hair.....

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Playing right side of midfield is a completely different animal to being an attacking right back. Its much harder to find space,he'd find himself on the ball a lot less. He could probably do a job but imo he's much more effective attacking from deeper than he'd ever be starting from a much more advanced position. I'm sure it's crossed the minds of the managers he's played under once or twice too but I can't recall any of them employing him on the wing.

9. lfcjfk

lfcjfk
    Expand Collapse

I think he is fine where he is to be honest! We need to invest in an out and right winger but it's easier said than done. Someone like Steve macmanaman would be perfect :)

10. Maverick

Maverick
    Expand Collapse

I say leave him where he is.I think he is doing fine there at the moment and defensively he is improving gradually. If its so obvious to everyone that he would be a better right midfielder then why isn't he?

11. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I think Arry gave him a run out for Portsmouth that went relatively well but not spectacular. I completely agree with you about the 2 positions being chalk and cheese, yesterdays goal was a perfect example of a full back seeing space and attacking it. As a winger that opportunity presents itself a couple of times a season, never mind a couple of times a match. We do need a right winger more than any other position but Johnson is not the answer.

12. RedM

RedM
    Expand Collapse

This has been an ongoing debate since he's arrived at the club. I think leave him where he is. There's such a huge difference between a full back and a wide midfielder, I'm not sure he has the attributes. Johnson was signed at a time when in probably 15/16 of our home games per season teams were coming to Anfield and sitting back. Arbeloa was great at defending but didn't take advantage of the amount of space he was afforded going forward against these teams. Agree that Kelly should be getting a chance at CB in the near future, good that we can call on him as a RB though and he can slot in seamlessly.

13. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

This!

He excels in space, which would limited by playing RM. I'm sure he could do a job but only as a stop gap.

14. barrydoherty

barrydoherty
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought he played most of games at right midfield for Pompey?

15. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Wont be as effective , getting the space as comig from right back imo.

But then theres Bale ?

16. 1_mossy_1

1_mossy_1
    Expand Collapse

leave him right back. taught liverpool were great yesterday for been able to pass the ball out from defence instead of lumping it forward and this was mainly defenders like johnson, enrique, agger who are great on the ball

17. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

didnt that pompey side use wingbacks? could be wrong

18. torrard89

torrard89
    Expand Collapse

Thought he was badly missed today both going forward and defending. I know its only one game but I think it proves he is our best option by some distance at right back

19. Maverick

Maverick
    Expand Collapse

Once again I fully agree with you.Thought we missed him today.Granted Kelly hasnt played in awhile but still think Johnson is the better of the two for now.

20. No Name

No Name
    Expand Collapse

Not missed at all today imo, Kelly played well and has the next 10 years ahed of him at RB if only we give him a run in the side.

I'll never be a Johnson fan. He's great going forward and should be played on the right wing in front of Kelly, at least just for a trial period.

He's great going forward. But he's a defender and he doesnt defend well enough imo.

Kenny has settled on his back 4 and Glen's a part of that. Fair enough. He wouldnt be my cup of tea but c'est la vie.