This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Bob Paisley

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Gerry, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Happy Birthday Bob

Thought people might like this - it was done a couple of years ago

Esteemed TV and radio journalist Stuart Hall pays tribute to the man he regards as the greatest manager in the history of English football - his good friend Bob Paisley.

There's no doubt in my mind that the late Bob Paisley is the greatest and most underrated manager in English football history. His record speaks for itself and it's just a shame he doesn't get the recognition his awesome achievements deserve.

For many years I've been tearing my hair out in fury, appearing on programme after programme, extolling the virtues of Bob. People talk about the likes of Matt Busby, Alex Ferguson, Jock Stein, Alf Ramsey and Don Revie as being the greatest manager but, for me, the one and only Bob Paisley was peerless and I think all true football fans believe this.

I was with Alex Ferguson at a function just the other night and even he raises his hat to Paisley, acknowledging that until he's won three European Cups he's not in the same league. Three European Cups - how good is that? Not to mention, countless League Championships and all the other honours.

I first met Bob when he was Bill Shankly's assistant. Bill was a great friend of mine and I used to go in the bootroom after every game and sit there with Joe Fagan, Ronnie Moran, Roy Evans, Tom Saunders, Bob and Bill. It was amazing to hear them expound at great length their philosophies on football.

Then when Bob took over as manager, in his cardigan and carpet slippers, he too became a great friend. I used to go down to Melwood and chat with him for hours about football. He was such a quiet, unassuming, fella that I never thought he'd make a football manager.

Of all the people to succeed Shanks, I never believed it would be Bob.
    But what he did was he surrounded himself with all the same people from the Shankly era and they all continued to support each other. It was a wonderful team. When you observed them in the bootroom, the total respect they had for each other was clearly evident. They never fell out and that was vitally important.

Even though management did harden him as a person slightly, Bob Paisley was so kind and gentle. He didn't shout, didn't give his players the hairdryer treatment or rush into print to criticise anyone. He was the complete opposite of the archetypical modern day football manager.

Saying that, I think Bob would fare fantastically well if he was still a manager today. The pace of the game is lot faster than it was during the late seventies/early eighties but he'd simply buy players who could adapt.

He'd have quick-silver strikers like Keegan darting through, blistering wingers like Heighway and players with the brains of Dalglish to combat the pragmatic, functional, negative style football that is now played by most teams in the Premiership. Whatever system was being employed against him, Bob Paisley would have an answer.

I have many special memories of the great man. He was quite simply the most wonderful man I have ever met in football but there's one memory of him that I cherish above all others.

It was 1977 and Liverpool had reached their first European Cup Final. I was working for the BBC and had this idea of filming the mass Liverpudlian exodus to Rome. In his own words Bob thought it 'was a bloody good idea'. I then expanded and explained how the BBC was forking out £3,000 worth of expenditure on the project and in returnit would be good if we could film in the dressing room. 'There's no problem with that,' was his reply.

Can you imagine that today? This was the biggest match in this man's career and he was allowing Stuart Hall, with a camera crew, into the dressing room!

I also obtained Peter Robinson's permission but my only problem now was the Italian FA, who refused me entry into the stadium. 'Just leave it to me,' said Bob. 'Kevin Keegan can carry the camera's, Emlyn Hughes the lights and Phil Neal whatever else. You put on a tracksuit and wear the number 14 shirt underneath.'

So off we went on the team coach to the Olympic Stadium and into the marble floored dressing room. It was not long though before the Italian officials began to smell a rat and so to put them off the scent Bob ordered me to take a walk around the pitch with the rest of the players and wave to the fans!

When we returned the dressing room kick-off was drawing ever closer and you could start to feel the tension in the air. All the lads were going round stamping their feet and geeing each other up but there was no shouting from Bob. He just shuffled around having a few quiet words with certain players.

When the time arrived for the team to walk out I followed them in single file out of the tunnel and onto the pitch. I then took my place alongside Bob, Ronnie Moran and the Liverpool subs on the bench, having to pinch myself that this was really happening.

Watching such a momentous match as that from the touchline next to Bob was an unbelievable experience. Of course, Liverpool went on to win a fantastic game 3-1 and afterwards we did all our filming as the players celebrated. Just then, the head guy of Italian FA walked in and saw what was going on but knowing he was beaten quickly turned on his heels and went.

Once everyone had finally evaporated into the night and the players were back on the coach ready for the journey to the post-match banquet there was just myself, Bob Paisley, Ronnie Moran, Joe Fagan, Tom Saunders and Roy Evans sitting on these wooden skips. We were drinking warm Coca-Cola as opposed to champagne and Bob turned to me and said 'This is the second time I have conquered Rome, the first time was on a tank in 1943!' It was a really special moment and we all embraced.

Everything about Rome '77 was just perfect. If you are going to win the greatest prize in European club football where better than the Eternal City and I'll always remember it as one of the most joyous times of my life.

On returning to England I rang James Callaghan who was then the Prime Minister and told him thatif he wanted to win the next election then he should give Bob Paisley a knighthood. Make him the King of Merseyside I said because this was the greatest moment in Liverpool Football Club's history and although they'll go on to win more European Cups this moment will never be repeated.

What happened? John Smith the Chairman was knighted instead, Bob got nothing and two years later Labour were voted out in favour of the Conservatives!

Had Bob become a 'Sir' back then he'd be renowned universally as the greatest manager in English football history. Of course, that's what he is. But by not receiving what would have been a totally deserved accolade his achievements do not get the nationwide attention they should.

Despite all this, I don't support the campaign for Bob to now be given a posthumous knighthood, simply because it's too late. An accolade like that should have been bestowed upon him when he was alive.

To the people who know, and by that I mean the Liverpool public, it doesn't matter. They are the best informed and most knowledgeable people I have ever come across when it comes to football and they know Bob was the greatest. And for me, that says enough

2. ianmahony1977

ianmahony1977
    Expand Collapse

enjoyed that, cheers gerry

3. LKDAVE

LKDAVE
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Stuart Hall is a legend...his reports on Radio 2/5LIVE always classic.

4. KEITHO M

KEITHO M
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Gerry for posting....

5. Bannerpool

Bannerpool
    Expand Collapse

Happy birthday Bob born on this day in 1919.

6. Rover 609

Rover 609
    Expand Collapse

The Stuart Hall thing in Rome just classic stuff,well in Bob.

I love Stuart Hall this is a gem,the Laurence Olivier of football commentary.

[YOUTUBE]srcaJ8_SUVw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]f3xPMH-u7a4[/YOUTUBE]

7. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Happy Birthday Bob

cheers Gerry , Rover 609

8. LKDAVE

LKDAVE
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I look forward to the day when once more he calls Anfield ..The Coliseum

9. kelly jones

kelly jones
    Expand Collapse
    20/3/07 LEKMK

good stuff that gerry really enjoyed reading that , for me bob paisley will always be the greatest manager ever bar none there isnt even an arguement to be made , for all the success demento has had and regardless of what he achieves between now and when he finally ****s off he should never even be mentioned in the same breath as bob , the man has no class no dignity and is an egotistical freak who cares about nobody but himself and his wallet , there a match made in heaven him and that shower.

sir bob paisley the greatest ever YNWA

10. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

To this day, im still baffled and annoyed why a great Man like Bob was never Knighted, especially when you look at some of the people who have been Knighted over the past few years.

Reading Kennys book now, and he cant speak highly enough of bob..Happy Birthday Bob.Your sorely missed.

11. Huggie

Huggie
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Happy Birthday, great read fair play for sharing it Gerry.

12. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Bob Paisley - The Greatest

The back pages of Britain’s Sunday newspapers were dominated by accounts of Kenny Dalglish’s first win during his second reign at Liverpool the day previous.

Yet the most significant milestone of the weekend was seldom mentioned in media – the birthday of the man who made sure the Reds’ achieved the success they are striving so hard to bring back.

"There was only one Bob Paisley and he was the greatest of them all.†Dalglish said of the man who brought him to the club.

Dalglish feels that he owes Paisley, more than anyone, a debt of gratitude for the success he’s enjoyed throughout his career. As a player Dalglish could always be confident he’d be surrounded by the best. Hansen, Rush and Souness were just a trio of the astute buys by the County Durham native during his time at Liverpool, where in the space of just five years he collected three European Cups – a feat still unmatched to this day.

As a manager Dalglish had the watchful eye of Paisley looking over him from his position as a director. It’s almost unheard of in modern football for a former manager to have such a lofty position within a club – it can be unsettling for the current boss – but when Dalglish was appointed as the inexperienced new manager of Liverpool Paisley was a vital advisor to the Scot, and there’s no doubt his wisdom helped Dalglish become the successful, four times English league winning, manager he is today.

Of course it’s not just Dalglish who speaks highly of Liverpool’s most successful manager. Former players and colleagues are always full of praise for the former Reds’ manager. Alan Hansen, who won multiple trophies under his management, said of Paisley’s managerial ability: "Bob pinpointed strengths and weaknesses better than any manager I've ever played for or ever met.

“He wasn't great with words but when he did say something, you always took notice because ninety-nine times out of a hundred he was spot-on. He had this line about the first two yards at the top level being in your head. When he first said it to me I thought it was rubbish. But the more I played the game, the more I realised it was so true."

Liverpool’s most iconic manager, Bill Shankly, also had a magnificent relationship with Paisley, stating in a characteristically amusing manner: "Bob and I never had any rows. We didn’t have any time for that. We had to plan where we were going to keep all the cups we won."

Even Shankly’s other half, Nessie, believed Bob had a positive impact on her husband during his time at Liverpool: “Bill depended a lot on Bob. They were like the terrible twins when they got going. I think Bill needed Bob. I think he calmed him down a bit." Nessie claimed.

"There is no magic formula, there is no mystery about Anfield, it's just down to pure talent. Bob Paisley epitomises that and I am amazed that people in football, who ought to know better, do not accept the fact.†Brain Clough, who stood in the opposing dugout to Paisley as the manager of Nottingham Forrest, said.

“He is on the same level as Sinatra in his field and nobody should question his talent. It's not the fact that he's got a bigger band or sings on bigger stages, it's just down to ability. The man oozes talent and he talks more common sense than ten of us managers put together and he probably works harder than ten of us put together as well!"

Bob Paisley was loved because not only was he a fantastic football manager, arguably the best, but because he was one of the true gentleman of the game. Some coaches, such as Jose Mourinho, are lauded for their tactical genius but their arrogance often lets them down. Others may not be the best bosses in the league but their passion and personality endear them to the clubs supporters.

Bob Paisley was the best of both worlds and that’s why, in my opinion, he is the best manager in the history of English football – a personality that is sorely missed.

13. Beanokelly

Beanokelly
    Expand Collapse

Happy Birthday Sir Bob

YNWA

14. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Happy Birthday Mr Paisley

15. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

happy birthday Bob 3 euorpean cups will never be match by any other manager it drives whiskey nose demented. Y.N.W.A

16. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

on LFCTV in half an hour

20:00 Paisley: the Greatest
    A tribute to the most successful English manager ever

17. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Happy Birthday Sir Bob.YNWA.

18. richie_lfc

richie_lfc
    Expand Collapse

Happy Birthday Bob. Cheers for the reading there lads, very enjoyable.

19. stamullenredmen

stamullenredmen
    Expand Collapse

love this quote happy birthday Bob

20. PaddyW

PaddyW
    Expand Collapse

Happy Birthday Sir Bob. Legend.