This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Hillsborough - The Ongoing Fight

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by liamo3, Mar 30, 2009.

1. liamo3

liamo3
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Great piece from BHB

March 30, 2009
    Hillsborough - The Ongoing Fight
    It is fast approaching the 20th anniversary of the disaster, 20 long years since 96 human beings were led to their deaths by gross mismanagement. I refer to them as human beings as that is what they were; not football fans. 96 fans did lose their lives that day, and they did so because the people responsible for ensuring their safety neglected their duties and treated them as sub-human scum. Football fans were not treated as human beings, they were treated as animals.

April 15th will forever be a date associated with 96 lost lives. I can't see or hear that date without the word "Hillsborough" jumping to the forefront of my mind. My wife was born on the 15th April, and I have to "celebrate" her birthday every year on that date; returning from the Memorial Service a saddened man, and have to try and pretend to be happy and enjoy myself. I just can't do it.

My aunty gave birth to her first child on that very day. April 15th 1989, she gave birth to her first child as many other parents were losing theirs. When April 15th is brought up anywhere, my wife's birthday or my cousin do not even register, my thoughts immediately race to Hillsborough. It is a part of who we are as Liverpool fans; it's engrained in our very being.

20 years on, and Anne Williams is still fighting for justice. Anne lost her son Kevin at Hillsborough, yet nobody has ever been held to account for his death, as well as the 95 others we lost that day; but Kevin is different.

The enquiry that followed the disaster ruled that all those that perished had done so before 3.15pm. That was the cut off point, and no evidence was heard after that point. This is vital in the case of Kevin Williams, as there are witness reports and medical reports stating he was alive at 4pm. Anne Williams is currently taking her case to the European Courts under the "right to life".

Anne Williams v The United Kingdom.

The cover up that followed the disaster prevented Anne from finding out exactly what happened to Kevin. His case was never heard as he died after the 3.15pm cut off. The jury returned a verdict of "accidental death", and is a verdict that has been challenged ever since. Families lost loved ones and witnessed arguably the biggest policing cover up of all time. Is it any wonder the continue to fight to this day when they were told their children died by accident, despite overwhelming evidence to state otherwise?

What really gets to me, is that 20 years later, a large percentage of this country still don't understand what actually happened at Hillsborough. They have been taken in by lies and taken them as gospel. Lies that were proven to be lies by Lord Justice Taylor himself during his enquiry into the disaster.

The Sun printed a headline on the 19th April 1989, stating "The Truth".

There followed a series of sub headings claiming that Liverpool fans urinated and picked the pockets of the dead. Claims that Liverpool fans beat up policemen giving the kiss of life to others, and the lies went on. Claims that ticketless fans charged the gates open and crushed their own fans; and as we all know, mud sticks!

The Sun newspaper has been boycotted by Liverpool fans ever since.

A frightening number of our populus believe those lies. They hold the belief that the words printed that day are the truth, as the headline claimed. The findings within a court of law, and the Taylor Enquiry that followed claimed otherwise. Yet still, the mud is there. It won't go away. The amount of times I've had to pull people and explain to them exactly what happened that day is frightening, yet it is something I will continue to do until the day that I die.

Lord Justice Taylor praised the Liverpool fans for their behaviour and reaction on the day, and clearly stated that blame for the disaster lay at the feet of the men in control of the ground that day. A football ground that had no safety certificate, as it had expired ten years previously. A man with no experience in managing football crowds given that role for an FA Cup semi final. Superintendent David Duckenfield was that man.

Duckenfield is the man that ordered Gate C to be opened and allow the fans outside to enter the ground. He is the man that then claimed the fans pushed the gate down, only to retract that statement when it was proven to be a lie. He is the man that failed to have check points erected away from the turnstiles as was the case the year before in another semi final. He is the man that failed to block off access to the central pens when opening Gate C, sending hundreds of fans down that tunnel and squeezing the life out of those at the front.

He is the man that refused ambulances access to the pitch to help those dying. He is the man that ordered his officers to stand in line across the pitch to stop rival fans attacking each other, when it was glaringly obvious that people were dying, needed help, and fighting was the The amount of times I've had to pull people and explain to them exactly what happened that day is frightening, yet it is something I will continue to do until the day that I die.

Lord Justice Taylor praised the Liverpool fans for their behaviour and reaction on the day, and clearly stated that blame for the disaster lay at the feet of the men in control of the ground that day. A football ground that had no safety certificate, as it had expired ten years previously. A man with no experience in managing football crowds given that role for an FA Cup semi final. Superintendent David Duckenfield was that man.

Duckenfield is the man that ordered Gate C to be opened and allow the fans outside to enter the ground. He is the man that then claimed the fans pushed the gate down, only to retract that statement when it was proven to be a lie. He is the man that failed to have check points erected away from the turnstiles as was the case the year before in another semi final. He is the man that failed to block off access to the central pens when opening Gate C, sending hundreds of fans down that tunnel and squeezing the life out of those at the front.

He is the man that refused ambulances access to the pitch to help those dying. He is the man that ordered his officers to stand in line across the pitch to stop rival fans attacking each other, when it was glaringly obvious that people were dying, needed help, and fighting was the last thing on their minds.

He is the man that retired through ill health in the aftermath of the disaster, and therefore couldn't be help professionally accountable for his actions that day. I don't know how he can sleep at night.

On the point of the ambulance, there was a superb feature in The Observer on Sunday 15th March, with one section being an interview with the driver of the only ambulance that gained access to the pitch that day. He gave his version of events, and there were pictures alongside the interview showing his ambulance out on the pitch engulfed by the chaos around him. Yet during the enquiry, it was stated that no ambulance gained entry to the field of play, and therefore no statement was required from this paramedic.

The court heard that no ambulance gained access to the pitch, yet everyone watching Grandstand that day could clearly see the ambulance on the pitch! That is just one small flaw in the entire case. There are many, many more; non more so than the case of Kevin Williams and his signs of life at 4pm. All ignored.

There is the myth that ticketless fans caused the disaster. I hope the figures below do something to dispel that myth. This is a post I spotted on a football fans forum last month:

My précis of what happened using info taken from the HSE Report.

Given all the debate and “opinions†expressed on numerous threads I wanted to post this. My guess is most have never taken the time to read the report, when you do, the cause becomes blindingly obvious.

Turnstiles open..
    10,100 capacity through 7 turnstiles

(The Kop End, 21,000 has 42 turnstiles)

Fans start entering from before 12.55 at a steady rate.
    At 12.55 CCTV starts recording all fans entering through the 7 turnstiles which are all grouped in one bank.
    At 1.40 the rate increased markedly and then remains constant between 2.05 and 2.50.
    The rate increases to a peak at 2.55.

The rate of admission was such that queues were forming as the rate of flow through the turnstiles was insufficient to cope with the numbers.

The average capacity of the turnstiles was 660 people / hour.

At 2.00, 2,000 people had been admitted, at 2.55 only 6,000 had been admitted via the turnstiles, 4,000 people are outside the turnstiles with the roar of the crowd as the team comes out on to the pitch.

At 2.48 a gate adjacent the turnstiles was opened and 130 people admitted in single file.

At 2.52 to 2.58 the same gate was opened again for 6 minutes, 1,800 to 2,000 people were admitted with less control. CCTV images show that
    while the gate was open for 5.5 minutes, fans walked, not rushed, into the ground.

At 2.59 to 3.07 the same gate was opened again 8 minutes, 90 people were admitted in single file controlled manner.

At 3.05 when the tragedy was occurring the best estimate of numbers in the end is 9,734 against a capacity of 10,100.

Immediately on entering the ground in front of the supporters was a tunnel leading to two central pens, no stewarding was in place to direct fans so excessive numbers chose the obvious entrance.

At the end of the 20 m long, 3.65m wide tunnel two pens were entered through apertures of under 6’

The designed capacities of the pens were calculated at 1015 and 1036, In reality the capacities should have been reduced as other factors were unsatisfactory,

Once in the pens the weight of numbers behind would be such that there would be absolutely no chance of exiting against the flow.

In previous years police had been placed at this central entrance tunnel to ensure they were not filled beyond capacity, once filled the gates would be closed and fans directed elsewhere, police officers were not deployed there on this occasion.

The pens to either side of these two pens were significantly under capacity.

Signage to indicate the alternative means of ingress was poor.

From very careful analysis of photo’s taken at 3.05 it is estimated in pen 3 with a capacity of 1015 there were1576 souls and the density increased to the front of the pen. Pen 4 was concluded to be similarly over capacity.

Given no means of escape because of the mesh perimeter fencing 96 people died.

When finally opened the single 2’ 6†gate was unable to ease the problem quickly enough.

On FA Cup semi final weekend, there are plans for a minutes applause before the game to remember the 96 that died at Hillsborough. Plans that have been agreed between the Hillsborough Family Support Group (HFSG) and the FA. It seems as though a minutes applause is the new minutes silence, no matter what the situation.

My understanding, is that a minutes applause is to celebrate a life. An appreciation and celebration of a life. I'm sure it's not just myself that finds applauding the deaths of 96 fans a little sickening. 96 lives that were lost during a disaster, and people are meant to applaud that? It's absolute madness.

For me, the 20th anniversary should be being used to educate the masses about the real truth regarding Hillsborough. It should be used to get right behind Anne Williams in her fight in the European Courts. It should be used to highlight that 20 years on, still nobody has been held accountable for those deaths.

I could go on and on, but would rather point you in the direction of the following if you wish to read further:

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

JUSTICE FOR THE 96!

Paul Jones

2. byrnetred

byrnetred
    Expand Collapse

wish an article like that was published in every main stream newspapers on the 15th cause its very well written and very informative about the tragic events that day. it spells everything out that even the most ignorant fuk cant ignore what actually happened

should be in the match day programme and the official site aswell

3. Daz

Daz
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Pretty much sums up how most reds feel about a minutes applause. Waht a load of b*llox.

Unfortunately there is a long, long battle ahead to clean that mud that has stuck. While national broadcasters continue to print and post glaring inaccuracies about the events (such as the shite the bbc had on their site yesterday) we're going to be continually swimming against the tide.

4. Daz

Daz
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Lads if anyone has a working link to the newsnight programme that aired last night - can they post it up please

5. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Excellent post Liamo. If only the people who still believe the lies about what happened at Hillsborough could read this. But I guess they would not be on forums like this!

6. pam

pam
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

that post sends shudders down my spine, they are the facts, as liverpool fans we know them, and if you dont know them read the post again.

Applause i wont be i will stand in silience and remember and pray for those that lost their right to life. and hope and pray that someday those responsible will put their hand up and say SORRY we made mistakes take responsibility. and ADMIT TO THE TRUTH,

7. Gaillimh1976

Gaillimh1976
    Expand Collapse

Great post - will be in Anfield on the 15th and applause will be the last thing on my mind.

8. Rover 609

Rover 609
    Expand Collapse

9. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Excellently worded post from last year, Disgracefull to think that Justice has still not been done!

10. LKDAVE

LKDAVE
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

This thread should be left as a sticky along with the Don't Buy The S*N thread.

Peter Jones was the commentator that day on BBC Radio 2. I remember listening to Sports Report at 5 and to the following as if it was yesterday. Jones was just great. He died the year after commentating on the boat race. He never got over it by all accounts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieVUJZJbeiM

11. JFT96YNWA

JFT96YNWA
    Expand Collapse

But swim we will , 'till justice is done :mad:

JFT96

12. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

21st annivearsary tomorrow RIP JUSTICE FOR THE 96
    SOS MEMBER 4550

13. serpheus

serpheus
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

John Alfred Anderson (62)
    Colin Mark Ashcroft (19)
    James Gary Aspinall (18)
    Kester Roger Marcus Ball (16)
    Gerard Bernard Patrick Baron (67)
    Simon Bell (17)
    Barry Sidney Bennett (26)
    David John Benson (22)
    David William Birtle (22)
    Tony Bland (22)
    Paul David Brady (21)
    Andrew Mark Brookes (26)
    Carl Brown (18)
    David Steven Brown (25)
    Henry Thomas Burke (47)
    Peter Andrew Burkett (24)
    Paul William Carlile (19)
    Raymond Thomas Chapman (50)
    Gary Christopher Church (19)
    Joseph Clark (29)
    Paul Clark (18)
    Gary Collins (22)
    Stephen Paul Copoc (20)
    Tracey Elizabeth Cox (23)
    James Philip Delaney (19)
    Christopher Barry Devonside (18)
    Christopher Edwards (29)
    Vincent Michael Fitzsimmons (34)
    Thomas Steven Fox (21)
    Jon-Paul Gilhooley (10)
    Barry Glover (27)
    Ian Thomas Glover (20)
    Derrick George Godwin (24)
    Roy Harry Hamilton (34)
    Philip Hammond (14)
    Eric Hankin (33)
    Gary Harrison (27)
    Stephen Francis Harrison (31)
    Peter Andrew Harrison (15)
    David Hawley (39)
    James Robert Hennessy (29)
    Paul Anthony Hewitson (26)
    Carl Darren Hewitt (17)
    Nicholas Michael Hewitt (16)
    Sarah Louise Hicks (19)
    Victoria Jane Hicks (15)
    Gordon Rodney Horn (20)
    Arthur Horrocks (41)
    Thomas Howard (39)
    Thomas Anthony Howard (14)
    Eric George Hughes (42)
    Alan Johnston (29)
    Christine Anne Jones (27)
    Gary Philip Jones (18)
    Richard Jones (25)
    Nicholas Peter Joynes (27)
    Anthony Peter Kelly (29)
    Michael David Kelly (38)
    Carl David Lewis (18)
    David William Mather (19)
    Brian Christopher Mathews (38)
    Francis Joseph McAllister (27)
    John McBrien (18)
    Marion Hazel McCabe (21)
    Joseph Daniel McCarthy (21)
    Peter McDonnell (21)
    Alan McGlone (28)
    Keith McGrath (17)
    Paul Brian Murray (14)
    Lee Nicol (14)
    Stephen Francis O'Neill (17)
    Jonathon Owens (18)
    William Roy Pemberton (23)
    Carl William Rimmer (21)
    David George Rimmer (38)
    Graham John Roberts (24)
    Steven Joseph Robinson (17)
    Henry Charles Rogers (17)
    Colin Andrew Hugh William Sefton (23)
    Inger Shah (38)
    Paula Ann Smith (26)
    Adam Edward Spearritt (14)
    Philip John Steele (15)
    David Leonard Thomas (23)
    Patrik John Thompson (35)
    Peter Reuben Thompson (30)
    Stuart Paul William Thompson (17)
    Peter Francis Tootle (21)
    Christopher James Traynor (26)
    Martin Kevin Traynor (16)
    Kevin Tyrrell (15)
    Colin Wafer (19)
    Ian David Whelan (19)
    Martin Kenneth Wild (29)
    Kevin Daniel Williams (15)
    Graham John Wright (17)
    Rest in Peace

14. Rover 609

Rover 609
    Expand Collapse

Tory ****s

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...thatcher-files-to-the-public-100252-29253547/

THE Government today announced it would appeal against an order to release the hidden ‘Hillsborough Thatcher’ files to the public.

Earlier this month, the Information Commissioner said confidential reports detailing the discussions then-PM Margaret Thatcher had in the aftermath of the 1989 stadium disaster should be made public.

The publication of the papers, said to include reports presented to the prime minister and correspondence with Home Secretary Douglas Hurd, would have come before the findings of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, which is currently deciding what information should be released to the public.

At the time of the Information Commissioner’s decision, the Cabinet Office said it would be wrong to put anything out before the panel had given it the green light and the families of those who lost their lives had seen it.

And today, it announced it will appeal the decision.

A Cabinet Office spokesman said: “We are appealing the Information Commissioner Office’s decision.

“The Government’s view is that it is in the public interest for the process that is underway through the Hillsborough Independent Panel be allowed to take its course.

“The terms of reference for that process includes the intention to disclose information to the Hillsborough families first.

“The Cabinet Office absolutely agrees with the principle of providing information to families about the Hillsborough stadium disaster, but we believe it is important that any release of information should be managed through the Panel’s processes and in line with their terms of reference.

“The Cabinet Office is fully committed to the disclosure process in line with the Terms of Reference and is working with the Panel to achieve that.

“The Panel have had access to all the information covered by thi decision notice.â€

15. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

That's unbelievable massive cover up there if you ask me

16. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

she and a few others must be expected to live another few yrs so

17. maloneavic

maloneavic
    Expand Collapse

Just another insult to the 96 by appealing the decision and also shows that as we all know, it is a massive cover up.

By saying that they should "let the Hillsborough independant panel take its course "is another joke and just buys them more time as they no it will take years and years of appeals as it has done already and they wont get anything from their appeals.

The english goverment is a disgrace.

18. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Fck me the Tories are some shower of scum

19. Juan

Juan
    Expand Collapse

If the government had their way, the papers would look like the following.

#19 Juan, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  20. leonsdaddy

leonsdaddy
    Expand Collapse

That is no surprise. They have covered it up for the last 20 years and they will try and keep it covered up for another 20. God knows what thatcher said but they do not want it getting into the public domain.