This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Simon Mignolet

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Ron1892, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Simon Mignolet: The first interview

Simon Mignolet spoke of his excitement at the prospect of competing with Pepe Reina for a place in the Liverpool team after he became the first Belgian to sign for the club on Tuesday afternoon.

The 25-year-old enjoyed his first day at Melwood after putting his signature on a long-term contract - and sat down for an exclusive interview which LFCTV Online subscribers can now watch in full.

He outlined his ambition to win the respect of Liverpool fans and to keep many clean sheets in front of the Kop over the coming years.

But Mignolet is taking nothing for granted as he joins Reina and Brad Jones in our goalkeeping ranks.

"Competition can only be a good thing," said the 13-time Belgium international.

"I've been in big competitions wherever I've been - in Belgium with the national team and in Sunderland with Craig Gordon and Keiren Westwood, who are international goalies. Now it's the same again with Pepe and with Brad.

"It's only a good thing - to be competitive and to train as hard as you can, it can only bring the best out of you.

"Pepe is an experienced goalkeeper who has proven a lot over the years. I'm looking forward to working with him, the same as I am with Brad and the goalie coach.

"It's a challenge but that's what you want. You want to play in the big games, you want to play for a big club and to play with pressure.

"I'm very confident in myself and I can't wait to get the first clean sheet under my belt.

[​IMG]

"I've never been a nervous person. I'm quite confident in my own abilities."

Mignolet will now jet back to his homeland before reporting for training at Melwood at the start of July.

On being the first Belgian to sign for Liverpool, he added: "I've been told that and it's quite a surprise to me because you see how many Belgians are playing in the Premier League today.

"It's something to be proud of - the first Belgian to play for a big club such as Liverpool.

"It's a big club and when you arrive it's a big thing. I'm very pleased to be here and I'm looking forward to getting started. The first training [session] will be very early and I'll be happy to be there.

"I tried to keep this as quiet as I could because there are a lot of things that have to be finalised before you sign. I kept it quiet because I know my friends and family, they'd get excited. But they're happy and hopefully they can come over for a lot of the games. I think they will be proud."

Mignolet has had several discussions with Brendan Rodgers over recent days and is confident he can adapt to how his new manager likes to play football.

"Back in Belgium, the goalies always train to play with the ball at their feet," he said. "We join in most of the time, playing more with our feet than with our hands. I'm used to this.

"I've spoken to him [Rodgers] a few times already and I'm very pleased. He is very ambitious, like I am.

"Let's hope we can win a lot of games and finish as high up the table as we can."

Mignolet has played against Liverpool six times - three of which were at Anfield - during his three years in Sunderland and the Kop's tradition of applauding visiting goalkeepers made quite an impression.

"Even as an away goalkeeper they always applaud you when you run to the Kop," he said. "I know they appreciate their goalies and hopefully they will appreciate me as a home 'keeper. I really can't wait to play in front of them and win matches in front of them.

"I think it will be very special the first moment I step onto the pitch. The first couple of moments I'll be nervous but I'm sure the fans will get me over that. Hopefully we can keep a lot of clean sheets and get a lot of points - that's what I'm here for.

"I know they're very passionate about their club and I know they love and support their goalies, so hopefully they can be behind me and hopefully we can enjoy a lot of wins and trophies together."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/simon-mignolet-the-first-interview

2. CHARMAC

CHARMAC
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

3. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Time to move Young Simon out of the Transfer section.

4. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome Simon.

I am surprised he is the first Belgian to play for us.

5. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

The dance continues, Pepe is no more, I know it:(

Welcome to LFC Simon!

6. CHARMAC

CHARMAC
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Aghhhh ya poor thing :)

7. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Sunderland had a cracking song for him. Hope we nick that of em too.

8. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Very thorough medicals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Terry

Terry
    Expand Collapse
    LFC till the day I die and beyond!

Welcome to LFC Simon.

That's Pepe hittin the road

10. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Welcome to the Club Simon.Would be excellent to have two top keepers for a change.Still
    not 100% convinced that Pepe will stay but time will tell.

11. MrsPepe

MrsPepe
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

12. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Cant wait for his song been sung in the kop

13. Venom1983

Venom1983
    Expand Collapse

Welcome

14. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

Welcome Simon

15. wertyu

wertyu
    Expand Collapse

Good signing today. Welcome Simon

16. Maverick

Maverick
    Expand Collapse

Great signing great keeper very happy

17. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I wonder will the same people that were against the chavs singing the Torres
    song mind if we sing a Sunderland song.Hopefully we will invent our own song for him
    if he earns it of course.

18. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

Welcome Simon, competition is great to have for this important position or if Reina is to get his wish, then we have signed a great replacement

#18 padski08, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  19. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks a very good keeper from what I've seen, wondering if we will have him and Pepe for the season

Hopefully we don't end up robbing Sunderland's songs also

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

To be honest Gerry I think it will be a sin if we don't use that song. I think as Liverpool fans sometimes we're guilty of taking ourselves too seriously and imo,this would definitely be one of those times. I heard that song for the first time tonight and thought to myself,I'd love to be in Anfield or at least a group of LFC fans somewhere singing that. It would be great craic. I'm sure we've had songs in the past that have had more than a hint of influence from something another clubs supporters have sung. I'm certain we'll adopt that song and I can't wait to sing it somewhere.