This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Mar 25, 2018.

1. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Bobby Robson wasn't far off winning 1990 after signing for PSV before it started.

Massive FA ego has blown up their chances of winning the world cup, madness.

2. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Could Real not have waited until Spain finished up in WC to announce it?
    It's not like their losing out by having to wait

3. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Maybe, but once decided always likely to eek out over next month, better be upfront now than 12 hours before a semifinal or something.

New head of FA appears to be mental, he will be strung up if they go out early.

4. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Personally I think Madrid didnt like being in the papers/news for NOT getting their supposed target as manager. Be that Poch, Klopp or whoever.
    Their collective ego just wouldnt allow there to be even a hint that they werent the top draw in football for a manager so they just went out and did what they always do - whatever the hell they want and to hell with the consequences.
    You can be sure that as soon as Madrid announced it, there was a line of Barca/Athletico players at Hierro's door a mite peeved at the thought of playing for the Madrid manager. (Course now rather than playing for the current Real Manager, they are playing for one of Real's biggest legends)
    Actually now that I think of it it - if the FA had kept Lopetegui, with Hierro as DOF - the Spanish team was basically under Real's control lol.

Still think the Spanish FA shot themselves in BOTH feet though.
    Of course it wouldve caused unrest in the Spain camp, but you would hope that they couldve pulled the old "in the interest of the Nation" crap, but the biggest foo-fa is surely Real Madrid wouldve had to buy Lopetegui out of his Spanish contract, now they get him free!

Maybe Spain felt with no Netherlands in the competition, someone needed to step up and play the drama card in their sted.

5. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

Real care about Real and no-one else. As mentioned above, the longer an announcement wasn't made on their manager, the longer it looked like they were being snubbed.

I would say that it was going to be difficulty for Catalan players to play for Spain under the new Real manager.

Having Real legend Hierro instead, if it happens, is only slightly better though!!

6. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

So what bets are yiz having,

Did Neymar to top scorer. tenner

Brazil/Neymar double fiver

Neymar top scorer for Brazil, Ronnie TS for Portugal, Kane for England, Lukaku for Belgium L/SKI FOR POLAND Fiver

And about 10 team acca for the groups fiver.

Stevie S likes this.
  7. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Portugal outside usual suspects.

8. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Argie win ew 9/1
    Argie win/Messi top scorer 40/1
    Croatia Semis at least 11/2
    Senegal/Croatia/Denmark/Egypt to qualify 16/1

Was tempted to lump on Brazil but 4/1 is very short and if they meet Germany the 2014 Semi will be on their mind big time

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Thought Spain had the best chance of winning it but you'd have to think again after sacking their manager(crazy decision). France in with a very good chance and I wouldn't be surprised if England got to a semi final even though I know they'll most likely have to face a tough quarter final.

10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Didn’t realize he had only signed a new long term deal a few weeks ago with Spain. Spain then found out he had agreed to be Madrid manager 5 minutes before they it was to be made public. Had he not signed a new long term deal a few weeks ago, it would seem harsh but I can see the logic now.

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'm all for people standing up for their principles but imposing your principles on a squad who didn't want it and a whole nation is a different story. Sometimes you have to eat shite when you're in a top job and this is one of those times when Rubiales should have eaten shite.

Griezman is doing one of those LeBron style documentaries on his decision of who to play for next season.The French manager must be ecstatic to have that going on while he's trying to win a World Cup.

12. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

The French have a habit of screwing it up even when they have a good squad as they do now. Koscielny is a big loss at the back for them also.

Brazil have a good defence and GK now which was sometimes their weakness as well as Paulinho protecting the back 4. Great going forward.

Germany will be there also but may over-rely on Werner for goals? Neuer can't be match fit either. Argentina have a good coach but an aging side. Spain have no chance now - there will be rancour in the squad whatever happens. Apparently, Ramos pleaded with the Spanish FA to leave the manager there and when the FA asked Pique, his most committed reply was that it was their decision. Not exactly a sow of support (not that I wouldn't have expected that).

As an outside bet, I have a fancy for Uruguay. They look solid and should get out of the group easily enough. I hope that it is a good tournament though and I hope that England and the LFC lads, whoever they play for, do well.

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

For sure the head of the FA there is under pressure. Anything other than Semis at least and he will take the fall. If they win it, he will be a hero

babbsnads likes this.
  14. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I don't think he has much choice but to sack him. 5 minutes notice is a joke and totally disrespectful to all concerned. He will be probably be gone from Madrid by October too.

GaryMc likes this.
  15. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Hate to say it lads but anyone think Saudi Arabia didn’t try very hard last night. Looked like they were going through the motions imo.

Pity we don’t have a conspiracy theory thread ;)

babbsnads likes this.
  16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Russia's reputation will mean we can never be sure if what's happening is above board and the Saudi keepers performance and the linesman ignoring an extremely obvious offside in the first half isn't going to help matters.

vodkacolly and honald_tdb like this.
  17. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I though the 2 defenders going to ground for the second goal looked strange. You’d expect one to do it but not two.

I suppose maybe they are keeping their best performances for the easier games - Uruguay and Egypt! :cool:

babbsnads likes this.
  18. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Egypt just about holding on.
    No Salah.

19. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Spoke too soon

20. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Great stuff.
    The sooner Mo is on a plane home the better.