This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Why dont we get credit ?

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by flies, Feb 25, 2019.

1. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

I dont know where to put this so i started a new thread, but there one thing that's been bugging the bejesus out of me all season, is why arent Liverpool getting the credit they deserve for where they are. Every point dropped according to pundits and some fans alike is treated like we've bottled it, yet Man city dont get dat bs threwn they're way. Any time we drop points pundits act like city are da giants and are going to catch us. Is it sheer ignorance to citys failings or fear of our strengths? Is us winning the PL the only way we'll get credit or will it still be treated like the mighty city lost it not us winning it ?

2. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yes to answer your question, the only way we will get credit is if we win the league (or at least, if we don't, we get the satisfaction of all the sour grapes). Man City won it last year so have proven their mettle, that's how the pundits see it. Along with the fact that no pundit ever wants to be wrong, and every one of them said there was no catching city this year. If Liverpool win it will be an annoyance that they all got it wrong, so I think a lot of them are willing it not to happen.

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I've seen us getting heaps of credit all over the place, I don't think we're getting anything different to what other teams get except we'll notice what's about Liverpool far more and tend to get a bit sensitive about what's being said about our club. City. The reason they're talking about bottling it is because it sells papers and generates clicks. We had a 7 point lead at one stage, it's now down to 1 point and We're not playing very well since the turn of the year. If we don't win the league I'm not sure where it will rank in terns of the biggest leads coughed up in the PL era but it's got to be right up there. The fact that it will be to a fantastic side like City won't be the story but context is so important in everything, the story is still there to be finished anyway so let's write the one we want.

4. gowinit6times

gowinit6times
    Expand Collapse

Multiple factors I think. We were getting plenty of credit prior to the Man City away fixture but recency bias has kicked in since then as we have put in a series of nervous, tentative performances and the results from earlier in the season have faded slightly. Prior to the Napoli home match I think we put in a lot of mediocre displays in the first half of the season as well but results covered these up then we went the month of December playing similar type football that got us to the CL final last season and we were this all conquering swashbuckling side again.

Looking at it objectively I think City are a better footballing side than us but that should not be considered a slight on our own team. That said they do have their off days and can be mentally brittle as well when they suffer from defensive melt downs from time to time. They are definitely over hyped largely due to the Pep effect.

I can honestly say that I won't give 2 hoots how much credit we get from the media if we manage to finish top of the league though.

5. Sib

Sib
    Expand Collapse

We get a bit more credit from media than some of our own fans give us tbh. Any negative reaction from yesterday, the majority came from our own fans.

6. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I was expecting another thread on tickets when i seen the thread title :)

mushypea, Niall, honald_tdb and 2 others like this.
  7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I listen to a lot of podcasts and Liverpool this season have gotten more credit than any other team including City. Some folks on those shows did all along say City will win as LFC don't have the squad and so want to be proved right and I myself tend to focus on them. Even Gilsey last week was a given LFC lots of credit for Munich game and how much defence has improved. I though would have him down as LFC critic this season.

The Premier League always needs a narrative or two as part of the Soap Opera.

Earlier in season it was Mourino on the brink and Sarri going unbeaten. Those narratives went, so suddenly City are in crisis after a few bad games. LFC suddently draw a game or two and wheels are falling off.

Agree with Sib though, no bigger critics of the team than some of the fanbase, which in turn then feeds the media agenda.

mushypea likes this.
  8. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

People forget we have only lost 1 game all season but yes we have drawn a few but again is because of city or da media but now a draw also comes under da "bottling" narrative. The people lorded over city seem to forget they have bought football and for them not to be dominating is them failing not us. I think some of it comes back to pundits arrogance the majority went for city at the start of the season so they prefer to being kept proven right than hold up their hands and give credit where its due.

mushypea and Beano87 like this.
  9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Newcastle blew a 9 point lead in 96, man u got 28 points from their last 11 games. LFC could do that this season and still not win the league, crazy.

10. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

united had an 8 point lead with 6 games to go just a few short years ago....

11. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

After 27 games of that season city were actually 2 points ahead of man u.

12. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

let's hope we get a similar outcome then, although preferably not in injury time on the last day of the season, not sure I'd survive long enough to celebrate...

GaryMc likes this.
  13. KopHaney

KopHaney
    Expand Collapse

Win this and it will rank the greatest of the 19

14. Beano87

Beano87
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree

15. AWB89

AWB89
    Expand Collapse

We will now.

16. Terry

Terry
    Expand Collapse
    LFC till the day I die and beyond!

Will make our victories all the sweeter and enjoyable

17. Terry

Terry
    Expand Collapse
    LFC till the day I die and beyond!

Thought is quite funny how Ian Wright in particular said that City are more likely to be putting teams like this away early and not scrapping. Funny I believe they had two 1-0 wins recently against Bournemouth & West Ham !!

Keep your credit everyone, I’ll take the league instead.

Red forever!

AWB89 likes this.
  18. flies

flies
    Expand Collapse

Do people think this side will ever get the credit as being 1 of the best Liverpool sides in PL history?

19. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

They are already by far and away the best Liverpool Premier League side by a mile.

If you mean in history since 1892, they still have a long way to go to match 70s and 80s.

It's a totally different game now but what stands great sides out from really good sides is the motivation to go year after year and dominate. United did it under Ferguson as well.

Arsenal and Chelsea for periods in last 20 years had one\two really good teams for a period but it was never sustained 5 year dominance.

flies likes this.
  20. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Agree with Ed's point earlier that Liverpool fans like most fans are sensitive to any comments. We're getting heaps of praise and sometimes a show will just decide to concentrate more in something else as they can talk about us winning every week

I get people dont like Martin Tyler but honestly, he's just as downbeat at times about other teams' goals. He can't have an Aguero every time someone spawns one in

Colm75 likes this.