This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What really grinds your gears.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Maverick, Apr 27, 2011.

1. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Notre Dame getting on my tits again.
    In a matter of days, €700m already pledged to help restore it.
    I know it's the donors money and they can do whatever they choose with it, but €700m would ease a lot of human suffering.

2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I suppose you could say the same about footballers being bought for 100 million these days

3. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

But that's business.
    This is a hand out.

4. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona v LFC not on any free tv channels next Wednesday night.

LFCRebel likes this.
  5. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Has there been any Wednesday night match shown on free to air this season .

6. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

It's a disgrace

7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

When the players want to earn what they do the fans are the ones that will have to pick up the tab! I think the days of top level soccer on free tv will soon be long forgotten.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The players dont dictate things like that Ed,the clubs,the leagues and Uefa/Fifa do. The players do what talent in every market does,extract as much of the money available as possible for themselves. If the people at the top found a way to stop that money going into the players pockets,do you think they'd suddenly stop trying to sell their product for as much as they could get for it or taking as much as they can get away with out of fans pockets?Players wages are a symptom of what football has become,not the cause.

redabbey and Niall like this.
  9. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, most recently Ajax v Juventus.

I am not against pay tv channels. A subscription to BT sports gets a fine package of sports what does a subscription to Virgin Media get besides the Champions League and Europa League?

Colm75 likes this.
  10. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Thought I should come back to this. They came back after 10 days and then tried to switch the cars around, I was out like a light and moved mine to block the space. Petty, but the look on their faces was worth it. We're back to sharing the space amicably for now though, so all is well.

Stevie S likes this.
  11. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Virgin Media Sports is free if they provide your TV and/or Broadband. Admittedly, outside of the CL & EL I haven't noticed much sport on their channels that would warrant payment of a standalone subscription.

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it's a tough one to know on I suppose, the players are the ones that inevitably mop up the money which as you've said is only right as they are the product that they league are selling but the clubs will be constantly pushing to increase money coming in so they can keep a margin. I know you're totally against the idea of a salary cap from previous discussions but it's the only way that I can see the game protecting itself from a huge collapse at some point if the market ever did decide that it couldn't maintain the current levels of TV money but at present that doesn't look to be an issue.

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

If I thought a salary cap would make things better for football fans as a whole then I'd be all for it but theres no evidence it would and it would definitely create more ways for those at the very top to benefit. It's the same point,they now what their product is worth and they're going to extract maximum value for it every step of the way. Maybe football needs to collapse at some point for football to stop taking the fans for granted because I dont believe taking that away from players would solve that issue and it would create more problems in the process.

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The biggest problem with a salary cap is that it challenges the status quo and none of the big established clubs would like that and UEFA etc. certainly don't want it, their product is far more profitable while Barcelona, Liverpool, Bayern, Real, Juventus are competing at the business end of the season, keeps the sponsors happy which makes the whole thing tick. A salary cap would begin to see smaller teams levelling the playing field just a little bit which is why it's never going to be seriously considered plus how do you get agreement from all leagues to actually introduce it.

Back to the players wages I suppose as a fan it doesn't matter what's driving your increases, at the moments it's the players wages mopping up the increases via the owners pursuing it with TV deals, if a salary cap was introduced it might as you have intimated still continue upwards unabated as it has recently with the owners just keeping a larger portion themselves which nobody wants to see unless they use it to lower ticket prices which there's little to believe it actually would so a more hollistic approach to the entire process would be required.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Did you know if you buy a pair of prescription Ray Ban sunglasses at the opticians,you cant have the little Ray Ban logo in the corner of the lense unless you pay an extra 180 euro? I'm far from flashy but the tiny pretentious part of me is a bit gutted. Let's be honest,you can get a pair of sunglasses that look and do exactly the same thing as Ray Bans for a third of the price so anybody who buys them sort of wants people to know they're Ray Bans, and I dont know if I'm more annoyed that mine wont have the logo on the lense or that something like that annoys me so much. Wanker.

Stevie S and Colm75 like this.
  16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Is this because if you want the logo Ray Ban have to make a bespoke lens for whatever your specific prescription is and the ones that came as standard are generic prescription lenses? I've a pair of "Ray Bans" that I bought in Zanzibar a few years back with a little sticker in the corner that is transferable that I'm not overly attached to that you're welcome to.

Stevie S likes this.
  17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that's basically it.

I appreciate the offer but I already hate myself for being such a prick,and that would take me well beyond prick into cunt territory.

Colm75 and Stevie S like this.
  18. click22

click22
    Expand Collapse

I got a pair of green ones in a market in Tbilisi few years ago for 25 Georgian lari:D:D.. the gentleman wanted 30 but after some hard barging I got him down to 25 :cool: only realised after I’d debated over something like 80cent!! Broke after 1 day when someone sat on them ;)

Totally pointless story and irreverent but brought back memories when I seen ray ban:cool:

babbsnads likes this.
  19. this

this
    Expand Collapse

LFCRebel not starting the match thread for the European Cup Final yet.

LFCRebel likes this.
  20. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Whoever started it last year is banned from even posting in it this year :)

Actually just checked and they are banned. It’s a sign :cool: