This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What position will LFC end the 18/19 season in..?

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Dub13, Aug 7, 2018.

?

What position will LFC end the 18/19 season in..?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2018.
  1. Winners

59.1%
  2. 2nd

36.4%
  3. 3rd

4.5%
  4. 4th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Below 6th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

xRedmanLFCx and £6.50 like this.
  2. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

3. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I can't for the life of me understand how he things momentum is a myth? Any example were a team has won a cup he uses just the final for his example, Chelsea were 9 points clear, Arsenal had already won the league etc. Surely the games they won on route could be used to point out momentum was beneficial? Why exclude the champions league from his exercise, either winning football matches is good or bad for momentum or it isn't? The type of matches don't mean much.

For what its worth I couldn't give a shit about either cup, this season I'm kind of half arsed about the champions league too so he's preaching to the converted in this case yet I still can't agree with him.

Momentum is what got us into a league title challenge in 2014, it's what won City and Chelsea the league in the last 2 seasons. It's absolutely vital to any team that wants to win the league.

AWB89 likes this.
  4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I don't agree that momentum is a myth either,its a common belief among the stats guys though and Id imagine its because they've a distrust of anything they can't measure.What I do 100% agree with is cup runs have a negative impact on points totals and momentum either positive or negative only exists in players minds. But there's a lot of things that only exist in our minds,pressure and confidence being two more examples but I'm pretty sure nobody would ever claim they're a myth.

I'm not sure if it was where he was going with it but what I took from it apart from whatever momentum can be gained from a cup run having far less value than measurable benefits like less games, is that there's a line between momentum pushing you along because you keep winning or you're winning because you're better than everybody else. How you gauge that,I don't know and I'm sure they don't have to be mutually exclusive.But the moral to the story seems to be winning a domestic cup won't propel you to league glory, if you're not good enough without it you won't be good enough with it and I think hes right.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  5. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

A very long read, but a great article.

Momentum in the league does not come from momentum in going further in domestic cups, that's his point. And yes, it's based on stats, but that's what I like, and it's what makes better sense than some opinion of "Winning vs Wolves in the cup means you're more likely to beat Man City in the league".

6. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I think momentum in the league is just confidence in that how you are playing is going to keep getting you over the line. Once your confidence is dented or you stop believing that how you are playing will get you over the line then momentum is gone.
    Cup runs are funny as it is momentum would seem to be based on the any dog can have its day scenario due to one off games and once you believe you can do it once you can do it again, this I feel is also coupled to the nothing to lose scenario for underdog's so is what for me used cause the famous upsets of years ago.
    Looking at momentum being different for one type of competition to the other shows the affect of one on the other is negligible as far as I am concerned. How else can you explain excellent cup runs and even wins with getting relegated.

7. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Seen this on another site.

A measure of how fantastic this team has been this season:

[​IMG]

8. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Even City's 56 points now is only bettered by 1st spot last season. Just looking back at 2008/9 season and Utd appear to stay on 65 points for 3 games straight, I take it game 27 was our 1-4 win and then Fulham defeat was game 28 but as far as I remember they didn't drop points in game 29 so this is a mistake? if anyone else can clarify. I'm well aware I've too much time on my hands :)

9. Darragh1

Darragh1
    Expand Collapse

The game that worries me is United away. Lose that and I feel that the league could slip away from us. Losing there would be a huge psychological loss although with the way they're playing now may play into our hands instead of the Jose park the bus tactic

Dub13 likes this.
  10. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Without poo-pooing Leiester's title season completely, has there ever been a worse league campaign in general. We're 21 points off their winning total after 23 games!

LFCRebel - youre right mate, Utd lost to us 1-4, then 0-2 to Fulham, and then won 7 and drew one of their final 8 games.

LFCRebel likes this.
  11. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Would imagine the majority of our support are now resigned to us to finishing 2nd. If a poll was taken tonight I'd guess it would come out around 55%/45%. Plenty of games remaining so no need to panic just yet, especially as we're the ones 3 points ahead with less fixtures to deal with. A long way to go still.

12. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Yea I would tend to agree, hope we are wrong.

13. Terry

Terry
    Expand Collapse
    LFC till the day I die and beyond!

1st come on Redmen, f**k city, we will win on Saturday and we will win the league!

14. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

#94 Dub13, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  15. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Let us know what you get, not going to post mine as its not good.

16. Terry

Terry
    Expand Collapse
    LFC till the day I die and beyond!

We win the league by 2 points

Dub13 likes this.
  17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Liverpool 94 City 93, Spuds 86 and Utd 81.

Just answered on gut instinct the whole way through it with my first reaction to every game, we're looking grand again!

Dub13 likes this.
  18. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

We win, City second, Spurs third, Chelsea fourth, Arsenal fifth and Manc Utd sixth. All only separated by a few points as you go down.

19. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Don't know why I bothered with that. Liverpool 101 pts, City 98, Spurs 88.

Dub13 likes this.
  20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Liverpool 96,City 95,Spurs 81,Chelsea 72.
    All over the shop.