This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What attacking midfielder would you buy and why ?

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Garrett, Jan 6, 2018.

1. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

Good call on Fekir. I'd say that a few of the big guns have an eye on him though.

The thing is - Real, Barca, Bayern etc can't sign everyone. There is real talent out there. For example, if Pulisic goes to Bayern, Draxler, Lemar etc won't.

Similarly, Barca & Real already have Dembele, Coutinho, Ascensio, Casemiro etc. They can't have everyone!

Interestingly and slightly off topic:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...fer-news-rb-leipzig-timo-werner-a8254591.html

2. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Time Werner looks ideal for us, can play across the front there if required
    There’s a issue with his ears , had to pull out of games as the Loudness made him very ill .
    Not sure if it’s a permanent problem but Madrid have backed off over the issue

3. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

He'd never do for European nights at Anfield so :)
    Ya remember reading about that, strange one.
    Reminds me of the time Real said they wouldn't go near Ronaldinho when he was one of best players in the world as he was too ugly for them. Craziness.

ROCCO likes this.
  4. Gavlar

Gavlar
    Expand Collapse

Two players who would slot right into the liverpool way of playing football would be Son and Willian

Would love to see them at Liverpool

Dubred likes this.
  5. Dubred

Dubred
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Willian in particular would fit in perfectly.

6. Gavlar

Gavlar
    Expand Collapse

Son too

the work rate of the two of them is just phenomenal

If i remember correctly we nearly had Willian, only for chelsea to come in last minute and get him

7. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

I think Spurs were convinced that Willian had signed Gavlar only for Chelsea to pounce late.

IIRC, we were in for him but not really if you know what i mean!!

Gavlar likes this.
  8. Virgil

Virgil
    Expand Collapse

Apologies for the lengthy essay, but here’s a piece about a player I would feel would benefit our club in the attacking midfield position.

Born in Aachen, Germany on the 11th of June 1999. Fast tracking his way through the Leverkusen academy, Havertz made his debut for Bayer Leverkusen on 15 October 2016, coming on as a second-half substitute in a 2–1 Bundesliga loss to Werder Bremen. Upon entering the field of play, he became the club's youngest ever Bundesliga debutante at the age of 17 years and 126 days. On 14 April 2018, Havertz became the youngest player in the history of the Bundesliga to reach 50 appearances at 18 years and 307 days old.
    On 29 August 2018, Havertz was called up to Germany senior team for the first time by head coach Joachim Löw. He was included in the squad for Germany's UEFA Nations League match against France and friendly against Peru. Havertz made his international debut on 9 September 2018, coming on as a substitute in the 88th minute for Timo Werner against Peru, with the match finishing as a 2–1 home win for Germany. Upon making his debut, he became the first player born in 1999 to represent the national team.

Havertz has been described as technically-gifted, two-footed midfielder who is comfortable with the ball on either foot and adept with his head. The young German combines all types of passes with good off-ball movement and extraordinary behaviour under pressure. No matter if his team needs through balls, long balls to switch sides or quick one-touch passes in tight spaces Kai Havertz offers all. His versatility also allows him to play as a deep-lying forward or inverted winger additionally. Due to his role between the lines, Kai Havertz was often the player who passes the ball to the strikers into the open space. Last season he only played 1.1 key passes per game, still, the ability to play through balls is one of his major strengths offensively. 15 assists in 56 Bundesliga appearances are a clear indicator of his quality especially when you are considering his age. As I already mentioned, due to his intelligence Kai Havertz can play multiple positions effortless. At the beginning of the season, Bayer Leverkusen had serious injury problems. That’s why Havertz had to play in front of the back-four next to Dominik Kohr.

In my opinion I would feel that Kai Havertz would be a perfect fit to the Reds. In a similar play style to the Ox , Havertz would offer an attacking outlet which at times has seriously been missed this season. The youngster would be a big purchase and would make the midfield his own for the next 10 or so years and will show that we are building for the future. At 19 this man can only progress and showcase his ability even more to the footballing world.

9. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

With his performances with Hertha Berlin would it not be worth us bringing back Grujic, especially as Klopp seemed so reluctant to cut him loose at any stage.

10. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Could be back in for Brandt again this summer if Klopp hasn't gone off him.

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Funny how we've ended up this season, midfield has probably proven our achilles heel, given the lack of a creative midfielder or two.

Has to be on the shopping list this summer.

12. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Don't believe it is fair to say achilles heel. Let's see what we finish up with first, but even if we come 2nd with 91 points, there will 4 teams, including Man City this year if we don't win it, that will have ever gotten more points in the Premier League in 27 years, out of 540 potential candidates (all of those four would obviously have won the league). We are up against a squad that has two realistic first teams and won the league with 100 points last year. No matter what happens this is an excellent team. Make no mistake about that.

Skintown Red, GaryMc and Gerry like this.
  13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

You're right that no matter what happens in the remainder of this season we have been fantastic but even with all of that you will have to look at what can be improved and I do believe that our lack of penetration from the middle is our weakness in an incredibly strong team, if not our achilles heel then certainly the area that I think there is most room for improvement. We have seen numbers from our front three that would stack up with any other team but I just feel that we're not getting enough from the rest of the team and more specifically midfielders who you would like to see chipping in with 6-8 goals a season just to help balance things up. I thought Shaqiri could be that guy but he fell out of favour but in his short spells in the team he's probably our most prolific player behind the front three. We have had games this season that we should have been able to win most notably Leicester at home and West Ham away that we just lacked that killer instinct and if you've more players in the team chipping in with the goals it would have helped ease the burden on the font three a little.

There's is an argument to be made that because we want to keep our front three scoring that we play with a middle trio that are more workhorses that just create a platform for the guys in front to be able to work their magic but I have to believe that we can find more balance and get a few more goals from the middle than we're currently getting from Milner (pens aside of course), Hendo, Gini and Fabinho.

14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Agree with that Ed.

Call it our Achilles Heel, call it our part of the team in need of improvement etc. I think the issue is the same, it's where we we are weakest at the moment. The front three are very good, the defensive spine is excellent, but part of our midfield seems tired, not creative etc.

We still need a new creative player or two, Milner is going to need to be replaced soon, Hendo is becoming more of a squad player, question has to be asked about why Shaq isn't playing more regularly, Ox may or may not come back to what we saw before he got injured (and we can't forget his unfortunite injury record). Gini is decent, but not top drawer. However, Fab .. is ... proving to be fab, to give credit where it's due :)

15. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

When you compare us to City purely in goalscorers it does stand out a bit that our midfield is lagging way behind.
    Take a front 3 from City of Aguero, Sterling and Jesus - 28,19 and 17 goals (all comps) 64 in total
    against our front 3 Of Salah, Mane and Firmino 20,20 and 13 goals (all comps) 53 in total

When you get tho the second tier of scorers the difference is marked

Sane, Marhez, B Silva, D. Silva - 14,11,10,9 = 44 goals in total (another 9 between Gundogan and De bruyne)
    Milner,Shaqiri,Fabinho, Henderson - 6,6,1,0 = 13 goals in total

I'd argue a major reason City got to 100 points last year and despite us having the season of a generation, are right on our heels again this season is on top of having a potent striker set up, their midfield weighs in with a LOT of goals.
    If our front 3 dont score, the odds are a lot of the time we usually wont.
    Keita was brought in and I am guessing it was hoped to be a link between the midfield and attack, but it just hasnt happened. Be it a number 10, or just a more attacking/goalscoring midfielder I'll be surprised if something doesnt change over the summer. We just have to get more goals from midfield.

NotTooXabi and Garrett like this.
  16. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

I'm all for improving the team where we can. But I'm just wary of our own fans buying into the media painting of this as a bottle job if we don't win it. If we don't win it but get 91 points, 3 teams ever before this season have gotten higher points in the Premier League. Plenty of other fans will jump on the narrative but that point needs to be made. United have never gotten more than 91 points. Chelsea have done it twice. Man City have done it once. That's it. Remind any other clubs fans of that if it inevitably comes around. Not that we should need to when we have won the league in May though....

honald_tdb likes this.
  17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The bottle notion won't come from the points total at the end of the season and I don't expect any from any of the decent journalists but the bottom dwellers and clickbait types will be loving the fact that Liverpool are the only team to have twice not won having lead at the turn of the year. The fact that it's Liverpool would make their dreams come through but thankfully this race isn't run yet so we still have a small chance to write our own narrative on this one.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  18. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Small chance? Ever the optimistic Ed :)

robbie st leger and Niall like this.
  19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Can't be losing the run of ourselves in fairness, we're up against a serious machine in City. They've already reeled us in from 7 points ahead so 1 point behind looks tricky but we can only look after our own end now and hope for a bit of good fortune.

20. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

We are two points ahead.