This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Watford away

Discussion in 'Match Day' started by glen, Aug 3, 2017.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Definitely a bit of anger on my part mate.I like Wijnaldum and I agree he's happy to go into a tackle but theres definitely an issue in certain defensive situations when he's heading the ball.He's an excellent header of the ball when he's not worried about getting a smack.I also think he has a tendency to go missing in games like today.Can and Henderson were very poor in the first half but both consistently tried to make themselves available to recieve the ball and thats another type of bravery.I think what I said was harsh but fair but im very happy to agree to disagree mate.

kopdub and bobby benitez like this.
  2. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Matip had a made, our midfield in first half was shocking. We just hoofed the ball up front..2nd half major improvement but that wouldn't been hard..our defence musten do any defensive work in training..

3. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Just after watching the full match. Was not able to see it earlier. I'm probably in a minority of one in my opinion (and I have not read this thread) but I am going to say I saw lots of encouraging signs today. Yes, defensively there were multiple errors that led to the goals but not errors that can not be fixed. The two points dropped were to me more about not taking chances going forward.

The club has a serious talent on the books in Trent Alexander-Arnold but in my opinion it is far to soon for him to be played in successive matches at this level. If Nathaniel Clyne is not available, I would not play him midweek but give him the starting slot against Crystal Palace with Joe Gomez against Hoffenheim.

Irishkop96 likes this.
  4. kopdub

kopdub
    Expand Collapse

Can't agree mate, if we're conceding three goals a game we need to score four to win the thing! I know that's bleeding obvious statement! The forwards did their job today, the defence did not! But you are right in so far as there are positives to take from the game! It's game one at the end of the day,

Irishkop96 and redabbey like this.
  5. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Football Without Fans Is Nothing

Unfortunately Lionel, the majority of those contributing to the defensive shambles have been at the club years so if the errors are not gone by now, it's hard to see them getting any better. I include Henderson in that,
    For their second goal he lets Clevery go. Moreno, Lovren, Mignolet are good players in their own right however I don't think any team will ever win the Premier League with them playing more than 10 games. I don't see Matip being that much of an upgrade on Sakho or Skrtel having been around a year now.

Crystal Palace had a nightmare today however you can imagine Zaha and Benteke looking at that dross today thinking Palace can win at Anfield again.

6. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

If you need to score 3 goals to win a match you are asking for trouble, matip definitely getting away lightly with that performance, if lovren/moreno put in that tripe there would be meltdown on here
    Forwards did all they could but fcuk me origi looks like that Ali dia lad that hoodwinked souness at Southampton we handed the initiative back to them with our subs today and don't get me started on Joe fcukin Gomez ,

7. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

I actually think the midfield are more of an issue.
    If we have players in midfield who are not capable of retaining possession, passing forward, penetrating and keeping the opposition pinned back then with our full backs so high up we will always be caught out.

Today, whenever our midfield 3 give the ball away we are left 2 on 2 at the back. As carragher said, if you have Baresi and Maldini in their primes in there they would look foolish in our set up at times. My thinking on it is go and get actual midfielders that can penetrate and keep the ball.Yes, the 3 of them will press and all that, that's great but they only have to press cos they have given the ball away in the first place.
    Coutinho is the perfect midfielder for us now, Lallana to a lesser extent. One or both of them or a similar type player with one or two of today's three to do the running is what we need.
    If we haven't upgraded midfield by September it will be another frustrating season.
    Coutinho and Lallana are pretty injury prone, good chance one or both will miss games. We have to add!

Obviously, VVD should help the defense but if we only had 60million to spend i'd go with midfielders.

I know it won't happen but Sakho would help defending corners/ set pieces. He was brilliant at it for Palace last season.

8. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Yep or they're confidence is rock bottom after today and they expect to be easily defeated. But 10 minutes into the match after 3 clear cut chances they'll remember theyre playing against our paper tight defence and will run our boys ragged for afternoon

9. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Gary, respect your opinion as always, last season the gloom and doom around the bad performance at Burnley, which was the 2nd league match of the season on this forum was unbelievable. I saw bad errors that day but at the same time I saw correctable individual errors and I was not panicking about the season ahead..

I still think new players need to be signed who can immediately contribute to the squad.

GaryMc, Colm75 and Niall like this.
  10. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

11. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Indeed 100%, we knew this back in May once season had finished yet here we are in new season and we're still waiting. 3 players sold, 3 players bought and Coutinho wants out. We need quality and quantity

12. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Well the first half earlier was easily the worst half of football we've played all season. The 2nd improved significantly and I know some will disagree but I'd even go as far as saying it was our best 45 mins of the league campaign.
    Need to improve defensively for Palace, hope todays defeat is the start if a bad run for them.

Stevie S likes this.
  13. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

I still can't get over the hoof tactics.. Defender hoof too forward in first half

14. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Hope they go down

15. maloneavic

maloneavic
    Expand Collapse

To be fair I thought Arnold was solid . Mickey mouse defending for the 2nd goal but I thought matip and lovren actually did well.
    No doubt you'll quote me and do a big reply which people will just say well done Mick.

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

If you dont want me to quote you pal,not replying to me would make it a lot less likely.If you dont like my long posts,don't read them.If it bothers you that people sometimes agree with me....well thats just fuckin weird but I hope you feel better having gotten it off your chest at 1.56am.

Irishkop96 likes this.
  17. the 18 yard box

the 18 yard box
    Expand Collapse

The exact point I made to anyone I was talking too about the game yesterday. Some of those players have been making the same mistakes for the past 2/3 season so yesterday was never going to be any different nor will Tuesday or palace on Saturday. Whip the ball accross our box and your guaranteed goals unfortunalty. Dissapointing that we have to go again for another season with the same players. Will be a long season with our current squad I think.

18. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

Well said mick :)

babbsnads likes this.
  19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Great post! Nail on the head.

babbsnads likes this.
  20. Irishkop96

Irishkop96