This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

VAR watch

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by Dub13, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

I think there's an angle that shows it hitting Llorentes elbow first. An issue with the use of VAR seems to be to repeat the same angle over and over again rather than looking at alternatives

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

If it hits his elbow when it's tucked in at his side would it not still be a goal either way? Nothing in what Llorente did yesterday suggested to me anything other than a perfectly fine goal, even if it brushed off his arm.

3. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Unintentional but open to interpretation I think. If it doesn't hit his elbow it doesn't go in.

4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'm not even sure about that, it was only because his arm was in the way of his hip and that's where it ultimately went in off. He was being pushed in the back by a City player with both hands at the time too.

5. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I agree with concept of VAR however I do think over time it’s not going to be good for the game, in particular for those in the stadium.

I have often brought people to football games and they are bored out of their minds but I explain worth it in the long run for those massive highes of last minute winners or three goals in 5 mad minutes against the likes of City last year. For me it’s what makes football the most popular sport in the world, you are waiting for potentially 1 big moment in game.

It definitely will take some of the enjoyment of going to games were I have a vested interest as you will be thinking will it be called back for VAR. For games I have no interest in, it will more than likely make them more dramatic and enjoyable. Sport is all geared these days towards TV audience so any improvements in will be with that in mind rather than fans in the stadium

STEVE1978 and honald_tdb like this.
  6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I genuinely dont think the motive is to create more drama for a TV audience,just to make sure the big decisions are correct as often as possible. The goal know needs to be to make sure it's used in the way it's supposed to be and not allow it to be corrupted with different agendas like the way has happened with officiating as it stands. If that means an overhaul of the people who aren't using it in the right way then that's what needs to be done and they need to be ruthless with players who call for VAR on the pitch.

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Agreed the overall motive is ensure more fair play however how it’s used going forward will be tailored more for TV that those in Stadium. It’s nuts at the moment that those in stadium just see a ref looking at a small screen for 3/4 minutes and have no clue what the problem foul etc is

vodkacolly and babbsnads like this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'd do away with the need for the ref to look at the screen. Let the official in the VAR room make the decision and just relay it to the ref,like what happened for our first goal last night. If you're a qualified ref you're a qualified ref and there doesn't need to be a hierarchy imo.

9. petevans

petevans
    Expand Collapse

No big screen makes it even more confusing - at the Porto first leg in anfield there were two VAR reviews during the game that nobody in the stadium was even aware were under review - until a stadium announcement called out that the VAR review was complete. Thankfully neither decision went against us, if it did then it would have had attendees clambouring even more for their phones...