This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

VAR watch

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by Dub13, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I think we can do with a thread on this.

VAR has led to a court case in The Netherlands already.

Willem II - Roda for the cup a few weeks ago

STayed 2-2 and the team that had the goal disallowed was knocked out after pens.
    Court case was about replaying the match out after the this goal and the goal should stand.

2. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Its a farce as far as I'm concerned. That clip above is a joke, even if its handball its on the halfway line and the opposition had the ball after it. The game doesn't need it, it will be destroyed by VAR.

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Don't think the VAR had any choice but to pull it back, it was an obvious handball but you are right that the impact it had in the goal is zero but a foul is a foul and the ref should have stopped it when it happened but he obviously missed it. Not sure how I feel about it, every little incident could be looked at over and over again if they go down this kind of route!

4. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I don't understand why the ref asked for VAR.
    Was there something closer to the goal he was concerned about and then the VAR flagged the handball?
    I'm definitely not a fan of this tbh. I think it will bring more frustration and anger than a ref getting a decision wrong.

5. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

Don’t agree with var at all , love the little bits of controversy not having it brings even if it does cost our own team sometimes. Hope it’s scrapped

vodkacolly likes this.
  6. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I've mixed views on the video assistance tbh.

No doubt in my mind, that we've all to go through a bit of a pain barrier with regards to seeing everyone learn how to use it properly in the game. It cannot become something that's used too often in a game or it'll destroy the flow of the game and become something similar to American Football, which would be a pain in the ar$e.

That said, I do think it's important because there seems to have been quite a lot of mistakes made by referees over the years - mistakes that have cost teams points, trophies, players the opportunity to feature in numerous games, etc. etc. Something needed to be done to fix this and leaving things as they were, wasn't the solution imho.

Ultimately, I think I'm in favour of video assistance but once it's used properly and to get to that stage, I think we've a few years of learning ahead of us.

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

The Goal Line Technology is brilliant, so far this has been a disaster.

I reckon there should be a challenge system in play like NFL. Two per game would mean managers would not waste them.

The LFC West Brom Cup game is the only full I have watched with it. Even though the decisions suited LFC I think it affected the flow of the team and impacted the Supporters in a massive way.

Going to have a balls of the World Cup.
    Glad we didn’t qualify now :)

8. sullycarr

sullycarr
    Expand Collapse

Needs to be kept for incidents inside the box and only have 2 appeals r scrap it till a better way can be figured out

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

In the NFL every scoring play and turnover is reviewed automatically, it's not a fair comparison though because the NFL by it's nature is very stop start. If there was a challenge system how far back should it go? A foul at the other end of the field with no impact on the goal or just if it's something that clearly leads to the goal? I think soccer eill have a very turbulent future with this as the traditionalists will never support it and use every opportunity to run it down.

10. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Far prefer the Uefa model with the two extra assistants on the goal line than VAR technology. Sure there may still be some wrong decisions.

11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Think they are a waste of time myself. A lot of times things happen right in front of them and they do nothing.

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

My take on it too, I've never seen a more pointless addition to officiating. It was like they were told not to intervene no matter what.

13. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not disagreeing with that opinion. It's my preferred option and I am happier with in in Uefa games for the next three year cycle as well.

14. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I think people are mistaken about these guys, just because they don't wave a flag or run in the pitch to whisper in the refs ear doesn't mean they aren't doing anything useful. They are miced up, they just have to talk.

The standard of Reffing in the champions league is top notch, those guys have to be contributing to that.

Shane_90, GaryMc and redabbey like this.
  15. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@bobby benitez expresses an opinion far better than I have done myself. Yes, at times I have wondered about their purpose on the end lines. Yes, I have seen times where there have been wrong decisions and the extra two assistant referees have clearly missed infringements, but I'll take the extra two officials over video assistant referees as my preferred choice.

GaryMc likes this.
  16. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Penalty awarded during half time.

17. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Aside from Liverpool I don't really watch football anymore so I haven't seen much of VAR.
    From the highlights that I have seen where it has been implemented, I have to say I don't like it.
    As funny as it was last night to see City celebrating and then ...not celebrating, I think it takes something out of the game when you get a moment like Sterlings goal, and the bedlam, the joy and the disbelief it creates...and then everybody has to wait a few minutes, hoping, praying,....and then the decision is reversed.
    It takes the magic out of that moment. The whole thing becomes more sterile.

What if next time it's Liverpool who score a similar last minute 'winner'?
    I'll let out a roar but at the back of my mind I'll be praying to jeebus "please don't to VAR, please don't go to VAR"

Sometimes it's nice when a wrong is righted but it doesn't always happen with VAR, and sometimes when it does happen, it leaves a sour taste.
    I'm also thinking that linesmen will be more inclined not to flag for offside or whatever, as they know it can go to Var afterwards.
    But if they do flag (wrongly) and play is stopped...that can't be fixed.

I definitely think it was a good idea to try the technology, otherwise the argument for and against would have continued ad nauseum.
    But so far, I'm hoping it's going to be a short lived trial.
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be causing enough controversy or backlash from managers, owners etc. to suggest it won't continue.

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

VAR is here for good imo.

vodkacolly likes this.
  19. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep I think so too

I think it needs to be made alot clearer as to when it's used and what for and maybe keep people more informed

But I think regardless of what we all think of it

I agree that I think its here to stay

babbsnads likes this.
  20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Yesterday was an absolute showcase for how VAR should be used, another year and Spurs are wrongly dished out of the CL on a poor (albeit incredibly difficult) decision which a linesman will struggle to get right in the moment, VAR removed that doubt and brought the right result. That win must be worth huge money to Spurs so the justification for VAR has already been proven.

diceyreilly likes this.