This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

TV Shows to Look out for (General TV Show Chat)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Dub13, Jan 11, 2013.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Not a false equivalency Ed,an overexageration of the point that taking the premise behind one medium of entertainment/art and applying it to another medium will automatically make it something different.Fair enough on your explanation pal but its a bit different from the initial comment fearing they'd ruin it for you. The "its not as good as the book" shout has always been a pet hate of mine and I think one of the main reasons for that is that you never hear anybody say it was better than the book. I suppose cliches become cliches for a reason.

2. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Far worse than poor adaptations of novels/fiction however is the trend to change the facts to suit the movie in biopics. Even Oscar winning movies like Walk the Line, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, Braveheart and Bohemian Rhapsody. All of them made changes to what actually happened in real life to a greater or lesser extent to suit their story. It's worse because people largely believe in these cases that the movie has set out what really happened. Must drive some people who actually lived those lives or people who know the details absolutely bonkers at times.

3. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Saving Private Ryan is treated as historical fact by many, while the "Ryan" brothers are a work of fiction. If memory serves there were 4 or 5 brothers killed together on a US warship in WWII, and another 4 killed within months of each other all over the battle fronts which led to the US instigating a policy, Lone survivor / Sole survivor or something of that ilk to prevent entire generations of families being wiped out. Theses several stories/facts of last surviving brothers being pulled from action, and younger siblings being exempt from the draft, but while the Saving Private Ryan is an action packed bullet fest it never actually happened.

Side note - as a teenager I went on a school trip which included visiting Omaha beach where we stood atop the dunes/cliff where the Germans would have been while the landing took place.
    All I can say is Oh my God, how ANYONE made it off that beach is amazing. Talk about fish in a barrell.

4. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

The Sullivan brothers. 5 of them all served on the one ship and they all died when it sank. The American Army adopted their sole survivor policy as a result of their deaths. There was a movie about that too The Fighting Sullivans - it was made in the 40s but i remember seeing it on tv as a kid.

babbsnads and Roll on 19 like this.
  5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I remember that film too.

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Have to say,really enjoyed Cobra Kai. Definitely won't be getting on anybody's list of top shows but The Karate Kid was probably my favourite film as a kid and I liked the cheesey nostalgia.

7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Sure lets just retire the word false equivalency so Mick if the comparison of fair ground rides to books/films isn't one :)

I never said they'd ruin it for me, I said I hope they wouldn't ruin it and by it I meant the TV series by making a balls of it. The book will stand alone as one of the all time greats no matter what they do with the TV series and I'll definitely go back to it again and again regardless of how good/bad or indifferent the TV series is.

Yeah the "it's not as good as the book" shout is usually the same as someone who constantly must tell you that the liked a musician "before they were famous". I've never been able to say it about a musician as I don't know how the hell I'd ever hear of them before they were famous as I usually hear about them because they're famous but I trot out the line about books being better than movies on regular occasions, it's important people realise that I can read and that I'm obviously very cultured as I'd appreciate a book more than a movie.

babbsnads likes this.
  8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I cant help what part of a comparison you focus on Ed,I can only make the points I'm making. My point was that a film is different to a book even if it's based on the same premise like a fairground ride is different to a film. It was an exaggeration of the point but the point is that they're all different things that should be judged independently of each other so theres no need to retire any terms for this one mate. Case in point...the only way they can ruin a TV series is by making a bad one which is the case for every TV series no matter what it's based on. How it compares to the book is a different issue as it could be unrecognisable from the book and still be brilliant,unless of course we go back to where we started and you cant separate the TV series from the book:)

edcarroll02 likes this.
  9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Correct, and because I enjoyed the book so much and it's such a good story I'd love to see them make a good TV series which was where my original point started before you shot off on your tangent.

Anyway it's time to get off this roundabout we're on so I can get on with my struggles in the separation of tv and books at least I can rest easy knowing that there's people out there much worse off than I am who struggle to separate books/tv from fairground rides :)

babbsnads likes this.
  10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Heading back to Orlando next year and theres a new Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster opening. I love that film so I really hope they dont ruin it:)

11. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Heard its nothing like the original comics mate - give it a miss, they ruined it

babbsnads likes this.
  12. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I presume you liked it because of it's portrayal of the flawed hero Johnnys' battle against the unbalanced and violent Daniel, and the child batterer Mr. Miyagi? :)

babbsnads likes this.
  13. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

What do people think of Black Mirror? While individually there are some excellent episodes I find I can only watch one every now and then. If I watched a number of them together I think I'd end up clinically depressed. There is a real sense of dread and foreboding in nearly every episode (that I've watched anyway, which is about 5 so far)

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Started Chernobyl. Scary

Liverpool-law likes this.
  15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Hated it for the exact same reason, eventually just gave up on it. Bloody grim show, I think the last episode that I watched was when I was absolutely dying one sunday afternoon and that was the end of that!

Liverpool-law likes this.
  16. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Watched the first one last night. Genuinely terrifying. I'm old enough to remember it happen at the time, from my memory the first few days it was the end of the world, then the propaganda was out that it was nothing to worry about and wasn't a big deal. It wasn't until a few years passed that the true extent of what happened started to get out. Nightmarish. I can't wait to watch the next one.

babbsnads likes this.
  17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Finished it last night. Masterpiece of a series.

Skintown Red likes this.
  18. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Last episode is the best of the lot. Great stuff

19. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Same.
    I would only watch it if there was absolutely nothing else to watch and I was in the mood for something depressing.
    This doesn't happen very often so I've only ever seen 3 episodes which I would say were hit and miss.
    I can see why it is highly rated but definitely not something I would watch regularly.

20. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

Great TV, I couldn’t stop watching it.

I see the Russians are going to make their own cause they don’t agree with the US one surprise, surprise! Supposedly they lay the blame with the CIA they they say infiltrated the staff

Stevie S likes this.