This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

TV Shows to Look out for (General TV Show Chat)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Dub13, Jan 11, 2013.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Started Line of Duty last night.

Reminds me a bit of The Shield.

Good so far

2. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Just finished first series it's really good. I didn't think it would be as good as some were making out

babbsnads and GaryMc like this.
  3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It gets better too. Finished it last night,its brilliant.

Stevie S likes this.
  4. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

It's great when something flies under your radar and you only discover it when there's already a few seasons to catch up on.
    Bodyguard is written by the same guy who did Line of Duty and it's also a good watch.

Stevie S likes this.
  5. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yeah its really excellent.

6. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

If you like Line of Duty/ English crime drama's, check out "Collateral " and "One of us". Both are on Netflix and about 4 episodes long each. Easy watches and are quiet good.

Honda likes this.
  7. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Great call on Line of Duty lads, nearly finished the first season over the weekend and it's absolutely excellent. Looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

8. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Its fairly addictive.

9. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Finished Line Of Duty Season 2

Didn’t get the ending fully with Denton and the Ambush. Wasn’t clear to me how she was fully involved

10. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Just started 3 myself.
    The Guardian have a good blog on the series and recap on the explanation

GaryMc likes this.
  11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Nice one, just checked that and it’s explained now

Stevie S likes this.
  12. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Reckon line of duty is my next binge. Had very little knowledge of it or how popular it was until it wrapped up this season. Looking forward to it.

13. south

south
    Expand Collapse

Catch-22 is a decent black comedy by George Clooney. It should be arriving on Channel 4 in the not too distant future.

14. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

S2 of The Punisher was great fun. Plenty of blood and snot like the first.

S9 of The Walking Dead was the best season since 2 or 3. (I know that's not saying much)
    Black Summer is decent if you like running zombies. Not much in the way of characters though and some of the episodes were only 20 mins long which was weird.

Hanna wasn't as bad as I'd expected.
    S3 of True Detective was good. The two leads were excellent in it.

S6 of Ray Donovan was an improvement on S5 but I'm getting tired of the same formula each season.
    I didn't think I'd like Strike Back and I nearly gave up after a so-so S1, but S2 to S5 were decent enough. High production value and great locations. Just started S6 but it looks like a stinker.

I didn't think much of After Life. Actually only watched 5 episodes and haven't bothered with the last one.
    I like Gervais but most of his tv shows seem to be a vehicle for him to make un-pc jokes. (usually about disability)
    Jim Carreys show Kidding was also thin on laughs.

Almost finished S2 of Westworld. Quality tv. Production, cast and script all top notch. I've never seen each episode of a tv show feel more like a movie.

Finished Designated Survivor and looking back, it was only interesting for the first half of the first season. After that it went to shit.
    Yellowstone is a good slow drama with Kevin Costner typically great as a cowboy.

Yep... yesterday wasn't my most productive day.

babbsnads likes this.
  15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's my favourite book, I'm rereading it for about the 5th time at the moment, I wasn't aware that they were making a TV series. I really hope they don't ruin it.

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Not a dig mate as I know it's very common but this is another thing I find hard to understand,people not being able to separate a book from a movie or TV show. You'd never hear anybody get off the Pirates of the Carribean ride and go "it's not as good as the movie" or "it wasnt true to the films plot" and I think when you compare a TV show based on a book on that book,9 times out of 10 you're going to be a bit disappointed.

17. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

That's actually a rare case where the movie was based on the ride and not the other way around babbs!

babbsnads likes this.
  18. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately Babbs just part of the DNA of a reader. Most avid readers (I'd consider myself one) have been reading since childhood and develop a mindset about "their" books of how people, places and things look, act and fit into the world the author has created.
    Most readers will tell you that TV series "A", or movie "B" isnt a patch on the book (guilty your honor) - there are exceptions obviously, Jaws being the one that springs to mind for me in that about the only relationship the film has with the book is theres a ruddy great shark eating people - the book focusing more on the fact that Ellen Brody is playing around behind the Chiefs back than folk becoming yummy treats for a great white. Its one case where the book is - meh, while the film is a classic.
    The problem readers usually have is expectations are unrealistically high when favorite novels get to the big/small screens. Theres just no way you can take a 400-600 page novel or set of novels with all its interactions, nuances and character developments into what has to end up being an hour long tv episode or a 2 hour movie.
    Reading a book is escapism, your own imagination sets what people look like, act like and how they interact with their world (to a certain extent obviously) and because of the time invested in a book compared to a movie, you tend to get very set in your ideas of how those things are "supposed to be"
    Silly I know but one of my favorite novel series - "The Witcher" is soon to make its small screen debut and I ALREADY have the hump about some of the actors playing lead characters because they are not how I "imagined" they'd look.

So to sum up - dont try understand us readers mate - we're weird :D

babbsnads and Liverpool-law like this.
  19. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Another thing is when you love a book and they make a crap movie and you know people won't read the book which is excellent because the movie was crap; i.e. the movie/tv shows "kills" the book for a potential audience because they will think I'm not reading that, the movie was crap. Most obvious example I can think of for that was Captain Corelli's Mandolin which is an excellent book telling the story of the war in Greece and the massacre of Italian soldiers by the Germans when Italy surrendered, as well as a love story. They made a crap romantic movie with Nicholas Cage.

babbsnads likes this.
  20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I know you can quite clearly see that what you're comparing is as rounded a false equivalency as you might ever see but I'll park that for now and just focus on your first point.

For me it seems the most natural thing in the world to compare how a movie based entirely on a book stacks up Mick. The book allows you to paint a lot of the pictures yourself, visualise characters and create a lot of a story yourself in that way. When the movie/tv show comes along it is based entirely on the same book so it's interesting to see how the directors and producers see it compared to your own version. My hope in that they make a good job on it is nothing to do with being unable to separate the two but because I enjoy the book so much and it would be great if they could make a decent stab at it because it could be wonderful if they got it right but the book is so off the wall in the first place that if they get it wrong it could be just tragic and it would be a great pity.

babbsnads likes this.