This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Transfer Rumours And Makey up stories (V2)

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Dub13, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

I recall him going to Barca - and there was a bit of a stir about him. He was just "Arth-uuuuuuur" according to the Spanish commentators at the time.
    You make a great point about Mane, Robbo and Jota - very few Liverpool fans were doing the happy dance when we pulled those signings - maybe Mane had caught some eyes, but we are all happy that we did.

I think a lot of fans automatically equate a last day signing to a panic buy. There is NO way that the analytical team pulled Arthurs name from FIFA 2020 and just hoped he might work as a warm body, his name wouldve been on a list with plenty of stats and information about him and for his name to be even on a list at the club means the backroom staff feel he can and will fit in at the club without too much dificulty.
    And of course of great importnace, as with most Brazilians players - his missus is a cracker

Thiago is Italian born, but to Brazilian parents and his brother Rafinha of PSG WAS born in Brazil

2. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

Spanish?

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

you don’t think the owners rubber stamp the signings and that Ward has final say on ins and outs? I’d be very surprised. When Klopp is talking about a bit more risk in signings is he talking about Ward or Owners?

4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It would be nuts of FSG to not do that, nobody with money gives full responsibility to someone else. Whatever input they have if it's just pushing the button or if it's reviewing a whole business case they 100% feed into it in my opinion.

5. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

He's naturalized Spanish. But born Italian. His father was playing for Lecce in Italy when he (Thiago) was born.

Both his and his brothers journey is some of the most convoluted stuff I ever read in football.

Born in Italy - moved back to Brazil - then back to Spain signing with Barca aged 14 spending 7-8 years there which is where I THINK the Spanish passport came from. All the moving around was following his fathers career

He was eligible to play international football for Brazil, Italy and Spain

Skintown Red likes this.
  6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think he's talking about Edwards and then Ward but it would be a lot more convoluted than Ward having the final say. Nobody will come in the door without Klopps approval but I can't see a situation where they come up with the Melo idea between them and John Henry goes, "nah,I don't think he's worth it". Maybe I'm doing John Henry a disservice,but I doubt he has the ability to analyse a player,he can't tell Jurgen Klopp what the squad does and doesn't need and he can't tell Klopp the best way to manage the finances available. Its not a slight on Henry,very few people have that level of knowledge and expertise. Maybe they do have to rubber stamp signings but as long as it's not outside of the clubs financial parameters I'd imagine it's just a formality,because what criteria could they use to tell the highly paid team of experts they've hired to run the football side of their club, that they know better than them?

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I get ya but let’s say in the week before the deadline the budget has been spent. Salah new contract, Darwin signing and even with outgoings, the business was done. Some of the lads you’d be looking to move on either via sale or on loan are injured (Keita, Ox) and Arthur was an exception outside the finances so Henry may have had to give the go ahead.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yeah mate, I agree that if it's outside the financial parameters then it probably would be more than a rubber stamping exercise. But given there was money there to sign Touchameni and there's another window in 4 months where it wouldn't be hard to recoup the 7 or 8 million outlay on Melo, it would be strange to me that the owners would only agree to it after Henderson got injured.

9. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Do you think the transfer would have happened if Henderson hadn’t picked up a injury .

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I do. I don't think Klopp would have been saying the things he was to the press before the Newcastle game if he wasn't expecting to do business on a midfielder.

11. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Any chance do we think that the seeming "reluctance" to go after a midfielder could be down to the fact that the world cup is truncating the time before the next window and it is effectively going to give everyone and extra 4-5 weeks (except for a week at the end of December) to work on transfers with no club football going on.

Added to that its shortening the time you have to bed in a new player before the opportunity to sign another player in the January opens up again and theres a lot of reports saying we have the hard yards done with Jude Bellingham and think there might be a chance of getting him out of Dortmund in The Jan window.

I fully expect 2 if not 3 midfielders to be signed in the next 2 windows - its not a case of want, its a case of need.
    I also think that while Melo may not have been on a "buy immediately" list, we wouldnt have included a buy fee in the deal if we didnt thik he may be able to be one of those midfielders.
    I only hope that we can get the Bellingham deal done, because theres no doubt that if he IS on the market next Jan or summer, everyone and their mother will be looking to sign him

12. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Thinking similar

Excited about this lad , glad it’s a loan though looking at his injury history .