This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Tour de France

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by redabbey, Jun 29, 2013.

1. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

But you do shave or wax?

Two phenomenal days in the Alps. Still the Tour not decided, but Chris Froome has to be confident on being on the top step of the podium on Sunday in Paris. He is such a good time trial rider that the advantage should lie with him in Marseilles.

I was very impressed with the first Slovenian to ever win a stage on the tour yesterday. It is a great story Primoz Roglic only started cycling 5 years ago at the age of 22. Up until then the sport he competed in was ski-jumping.

It was a shame that the Green Jersey contest ended with Marcel Kittle having to abandon after a crash. The French must be delighted with the form of Warren Barguil and Romain Barget, too possible winners in the future. Dan Martin has show that he has huge courage, spirit and bravery.

This has been a great 'Le Tour' and the organisers decision to have less mountain top finishes has made the race so much closer.

2. Horan01

Horan01
    Expand Collapse

Dan Martin rode 12 stages with a broken back, fractured two vertebrae in his crash on Stage 9 with Porte… finished 12 more stage and still finished sixth overall. Just goes to show how tough pro cyclists really are. Hardest sport in the world by far

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Don't you know Hurling is played by the hardest men on the planet;)

redabbey and Horan01 like this.
  4. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Unbelievable, the man could hardly walk.

In many ways it was a strange Tour. So close for all the GC contenders throughout but no massive drama's within the race to win bar Chris Froome's recovery ride when punctured in the Massif Central.

The smallest of margins did decide 3rd place for Romain Barget. Don't know of any other event where etiquette dictates that the last stage in Paris is really only about the sprint finish.

Horan01 likes this.
  5. Horan01

Horan01
    Expand Collapse

Strange move this

Dub13 likes this.
  6. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Been a mostly boring 1st week of the Tour but not today. The 15 sections of cobblestones incorporated into today's stage made it a very memorable stage. Dan Martin is one tough man who said he loved today's stage after his bad crash yesterday. The Alps on Tuesday after the rest day tomorrow.

7. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I have been away so have not seen much of it so far this year.

8. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Alpe d'Huez never disappoints. Epic day in the tour.

9. Heraldo

Heraldo
    Expand Collapse

Great stage. Feel sorry for Nibali, to come back to within 13 secs of the win after coming off the bike was brilliant. Now discovered he has a T10 fractured vertebra and going home tomorrow. Despite what Thomas says he's not going to play for Froome. He needs to build up a lead to beat them in the TT.

redabbey likes this.
  10. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Have not looked ahead to even know what the terain for the individual time trial is even like. Froome can produce great performances consistantly over the course of the tour, Thomas is under huge pressure regardless of the brilliance of his performances so far. Paris is a long way away, the Pyrenees still to come. Looking forward to the rest of the race, and hopefully it will not be decided by a medical injury that results from a crash to any of the GC riders.

11. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I would say they are glad of the flat stage today.

12. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Pace was very high all day. Peter Sagan is the master of the uphill sprint.

13. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The toughest men in world sport. Philippe Gilbert rode to the finish after this crash.

south likes this.
  14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

They are hardy lads alright, though they'll get little credit credit for anything thanks to the drugs cheats who have tainted cyclings reputation forever!

15. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I stopped watching the coverage for years during that era. I do agree that there will always be some doubts about the acheivements of all riders because of the shady past.

16. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Not massively up on the current situation but are the current crop not shady also? Every now and again on Second Captains they are taking about the suspicions about Team Sky and there have been protests this time around.

I thought ages ago that they would be safer letting some sports use whatever drugs they wanted as then it might be a more level playing field. If everyone is taking them, then the best man wins

17. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The Froome and the asthma drug test from the Spanish vuelta last season looked very damaging to the rider, however so many medical experts have said that their could be a spike in the results for this test at anytime and Chris Froome as the leader of the race was tested on all the other days of that race after that positive result.

I want to believe.............

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I honestly don't know how anybody can get excited about any win in this sport when everything points to that win eventually being disgraced. Everybody has asthma.In my school the lads with asthma were shit at sports.

19. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Geraint Thomas has no medical exemptions for asthma or any other condition as far as I am aware.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I was being a bit facetious but how confident are you that he won't eventually be exposed as a cheat?