This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Tom tom sat nav

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gerry, May 16, 2018 at 4:07 PM.

1. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I borrowed a sat nav from a family memebr and done tje the suggested update

I need it for france next month

Tom tom are asking for 50 notes for french maps

Will it work as it is now in France ?
    I have had in in england and wales before and it was sound

I would rather not pay 50
    So if anyone has any advice or tips please let me know

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Gerry my apologies if I'm missing the point of why it has to be the Tom Tom but I've used my phone for navigating around Spain, Italy and France using just Google Maps and I've never had a problem with it at all. With free roaming now I don't see any real need for the Sat Nav but perhaps I'm missing something as I've only ever really been using it for general directions but found it spot on all the time. If it's because of patchy coverage you can actually download the route on Googlemaps before you depart.

I'd do a lot of things to get me through a road trip before I'd consider paying €50 for the priviledge of a Tom Tom.

3. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I was just saying the make so as it may help if anyone has had similar

I know i have a phone but i wanted to see if anyone had ant previous experience with a sat nav in France

4. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

People find driving in France tricky given the tolls and speed cameras around the place. A sat nav should identify these for you better than Google maps but it depends on your own preference.

I'm happy with Google maps but equally would use a sat nav but I'd say I'm an exception to any rule!

Not sure if you have any French maps loaded on it but if you do, there wouldn't be a huge difference in road construction but again it's down to your preference/assessment of getting lost :)