This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Swissramble Kieran O'Connors Blog

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by redabbey, Dec 1, 2010.

1. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

2. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Announcement - Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry

As some of you might have noticed, I have been taking an extended break from blogging, only managing to post one article in 2014. Trust me, this is not because of any lack of interest, but the cold, hard realities of a highly demanding job (plus a demanding young family) have impacted my ability to write anything this year. As you might imagine, my type of analysis requires a lot of research and frankly I have not had the time to review football clubs' finances in any sort of detail, so I decided that it was not worth continuing.

I have occasionally managed to post a summary of a club’s financial performance on Twitter, but it’s not really the same thing. Gratifyingly, quite a few people have emailed me to ask for a return of the blog in some form or other, even suggesting that the Twitter summaries on the blog would be better than nothing.

I have given this a lot of thought and, like an ageing heavyweight getting back into the ring, I have decided to return to the blogging scene, though I will have to amend my style to reflect the limited amount of time available – either that or somehow work out how to survive on a couple of hours sleep a night.

Therefore, Swiss Ramble 2.0 will not feature the exhaustive analysis of days gone by, but I will try to pick out some key points that I think might be of interest to a club’s fans.

To be honest, I’m not sure whether this will work, but let’s give it a go.

In the next few days, you can expect to see pieces on Manchester United, Everton, Manchester City, Norwich City, Stoke City and Bayern Munich. After that, who knows?

http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/2014/12/announcement-crushed-by-wheels-of.html

3. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Very good Blogger and his pieces were always excellent . Sit down with a cup of tea and read his piece as it would take a while . Good to see him making a return . One of my favourite pieces he done was the Porto one .

4. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I am glad he is back.

5. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

6. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

7. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

8. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Very interesting blog on Chelsea published last week

http://swissramble.blogspot.ie/2016/01/chelsea-accidents-will-happen.html

They really have some sugar daddy in their owner. I know in a thread here a few months back the wages of Liverpool to turnover were debated. I was of the opinion that the percentage having gone down has been a good thing as other income streams rise. Here is a better graph that the last one I posted. It will be interesting to see where Liverpool feature after the benefits of the increased capacity at Anfield in future accounts.

[​IMG]

Dub13 likes this.
  9. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Very interesting as usual. Chelsea are too wealthy and talented to be this bad again next year. Working on the assumption they finish top 4 next year I wonder would it worth biteing the bullet now and paying the extra few quid for Texreira? Champions league money next year is massive, for the sake of 7 or 8m surely it's worth the gamble?

10. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This post goes against the bread and milk post from earlier. The new Premier League deal will be massive next year but going on past experience regardless of where Liverpool finish in the table the prizemoney is always high based on the fact the team feature so often on the box. Yes, Liverpool need to be back in the Champions League but next year that contract will not change from this year's one as it will be year two of a three year cycle. This might sound a strange idea from me but the fact that Daniel Sturridge has been kept in cotton wool and only handled with kid gloves for the last month leaves me thinking that he could yet be a major factor this season.

Personally speaking I would like to think that the club have higher aspirations for player signings this summer. There is no doubt in my mind that the manager will be backed big time.

11. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

It does go against what I wrote earlier, it does appear to contradict what I said but that's if you base it on what I was saying on Texeria only. I was writing in reply to Gavin and Garrett's overall statement that we should just pay up and be done with it when we want a player. I whole heatedly disagree with this approach to running to a football club, however there are individual circumstances that can change that. For example in the summer when we were haggling with Villa when clearly they wouldn't sell below the buyout clause, that was dumb, we knew £32m was the figure, if we thought he was worth £28m then its worth just getting it done. I think the situation we find ourselves in justifies throwing the rulebook away one more time.

12. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Fair point on the haggling over Benteke. Yes, that was crazy when he was targeted last Summer.

13. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dub13 likes this.
  14. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

padski08 and Dub13 like this.
  15. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hope he does something on us soon with the new stand helping big time.

16. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Doubt it, until the next set of accounts. Even then we will probably have no idea how beneficial financially it is.