This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Property Market

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Captain_Morgan, Aug 20, 2013.

1. byrnetred

byrnetred
    Expand Collapse

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yep,we're a fucking basket case. I can literally see houses out of my window now that are up for 465k because they're in D15.They'd be not much more than 300k if they were a couple of hundred yards closer.

5. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I cant believe people staying our for days to buy a new house.

babbsnads likes this.
  6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Having recently been looking to buy a house in Dublin 15 I can honestly say that I do understand, it's a mess out there. The second hand market is all ex rentals which need massive work and the supply of decent family homes just isn't there.

Babbs I know exactly the homes you're talking about, they come with management fees too. I walked away from them about a year ago when they went from 350 to 400 for no reason in the second phase. Grand houses but nothing special.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Jaysis Ed,we could of been neighbours.Im not going to lie,I'm a bit hurt that you didn't think living near me was worth that extra 50k.

Garrett, honald_tdb, GaryMc and 2 others like this.
  8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I just couldn't handle the stress of the daily arguments, if I wanted Lyons tea you'd have wanted Barry's!

9. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

So,

We've a different party ruling the country, we've apparently learnt vital lessons from the last recession and property crash, and yet we're doing all the exact same things all over again:

- not building enough houses for a young and expanding population
    - not planning and developing our infrastructure in conjunction with housing needs and development
    - permitting property prices to rocket up without any controls in place

.... what was it Einstein apparently said about insanity ?

I'm genuinely sympathetic to anyone trying to buy a place to live as once again, it's a massive challenge.

Best I can suggest is to grasp the nettle, as all signs are that property prices won't be coming down in the next few years and ultimately, everyone needs somewhere to live so better to try and pay your own mortgage, than someone elses. If buying a starter home and hoping to trade up in a few years, buy where there's already a rail line of some sort, or at worst, near one of the proposed new Metro lines. This way, you should have some sort of reliable public transport in years to come, or the property will offer some level of attraction to tenants if you ever need to rent it out etc.

Buying in a farmer's field in the ar$ehole of nowhere makes no more sense now than it did when people were buying in places like Mulingar or Longford 14 years ago, unless you happen to have a very good reason to want to live in that location for the long term.