This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Trying to fix glaring socio economic issues with criminal/judicial solutions is a sure fire way to continue a never ending spiral to the bottom where you'll eventually end up losing entire sections of society forever, you only need to look to the States to see the blueprint for what not to do. Finding a balancing act between protecting society from dangerous criminals and rehabilitating criminals is a very tough job and you'll get people foaming at the mouth if you suggested that more money needed to be spent to improve conditions in prisons and more to re-educate them to try and cut the vicious cycle. Even more foaming of the mouth would be done if one were to suggest even more radical social agendas that might help to actually address these huge socio economic disadvantages to try and address this growing significant minority of disenfranchised people that we have in our society. Lets face it there's no surprise in the areas that these things happen and the complex factors that feed into what causes that and even more complicated is to try and find solutions that will actually work but I'd rather we tried to tackle the problems rather than constantly treating the symptoms with more Gardai and longer sentences because you've already lost if that's your only solution.

2. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

More community Gardai is 100% a part of the solution though. Not US style fascists with guns, but a local presence who people know are there to help as opposed to punish.

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Just saw the videos. Seemed to be a good crowd about cheering before the cops arrived so must have been some organized drag race.

Stuff like this is not new but the whole video/Snapchat aspect is new and fuels it even more. Most of those hanging about are videoing it and ironically that helps identify the people involved.

4. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

The deep rooted causes of these problems will never be fixed. We've seen over the past 40 years how many political leaders look out for themselves and their mates. They don't give two shits about the common man.
    40 years ago young lads were joyriding, killing themselves and innocent bystanders. They are still doing it today and will for as long as I live.
    It won't be cured so all we can do is minimise the damage.
    More police and tougher sentences would be a deterrent.
    I believe Gardai, firefighters and hospital staff deserve more protection. A six month stint in prison would absolutely make people think twice about assaulting them.
    The general perception is that Ireland is soft on crime. That needs to change.
    Look at how New York was cleaned up in the 80's/90's. It took a lot of different associations, organisations, security depts, etc all working together. It wasn't just about policing.
    I can't ever see that happening in Ireland

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I 100% believe there should be tougher sentencing, but there's mountains of evidence that says harsher sentencing doesn't reduce violent crime rates.

vodkacolly likes this.
  6. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I agree it's fighting a losing battle but that's the reality.
    Coming up with a real solution is one thing.
    Having the power to implement it is another.
    People in the communities affected by this sort of crime have a real desire to change and an incentive to find a solution.
    But what can they actually do?
    Those with the power to change things have very little of that same desire or incentive.

7. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Video doing the rounds tonight of a 10 year old boy in China, choking his grandmother to death.
    Video starts with the granny slapping the boys head a couple of times. It ends with the mother coming in and hitting the boy repeatedly instead of checking on the grandmother. Fucked up family.
    Poor aul wan.

8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Would seem the Gardai are dealing with similar issues to the health service. Lack of focused resources making front line jobs unbearable for many. People always jump straight to blame the unions in the HSE for these issues which for the most part is absolute bollocks, but they don't have that excuse with the Garda.

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Census figures out in the North. Catholics outnumber Protestants for the first time.

11. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Here. We. Go.

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Got the upper hand now, challenge them to a massive scrap for the 6 counties!

Shane_90 and Irishkop96 like this.
  13. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

What stage does border poll happen? Personally I don't think any time soon.dont think so in next 10 years.

14. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

Border poll in a few years but planning and discussion needs to start soon

15. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

If I was a betting man I'd say around 2029/2030 towards the back end of what I expect will be SFs stint in government

16. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Some serious shit going on in Iran.
    I smell a revolution.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think it's important not to force it. It's a huge landmark that in a state designed to be protestant,that there's now more Catholics but I don't think religion isn't the issue it once was, and that's a good thing. The nationality demographics are probably more important now and the way they're going would make your dates very possible. I also agree with the other comments saying it needs to be prepared for. An informed referendum where people have a good idea of what a United Ireland means for everybody(or at least as much as that's possible) is the only responsible way of working towards it. The last thing anybody needs is another Brexit situation where everything is up in the air. In fairness it seems like almost everybody except hardline unionists are happy to act like grown ups about it.

Shane_90 likes this.
  18. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Surely the numbers point towards an independent N Ireland?

19. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

There hasn't been a functioning executive in years, sections of the community can't stand each other but they are going to head off into the sunset "alone together" in their own idyllic paradise? :D

20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The old biblical tale of chopping the baby in half and giving 2 mothers half each is Northern Ireland. They will all agree to the worst option so none of them are happy.