This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Awful news

Her poor family and friends.

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Jesus that's unimaginable, the poor girl. Sounds like whoever done it was interrupted by two other women who arrived on the scene so if nothing else the guy should have no hope of escape. I'd support the death penalty for him.

3. cantish

cantish
    Expand Collapse

So so sad about the girl in Tullamore. Most horrific story I have heard in years, incomprehensible and devastating. RIP.

4. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Broad daylight, 22, goes out for a run and gets murdered. It just beggars belief, you cannot even think this could happen. The poor girl, her poor family, her life ahead of her. So sickening. I can only assume the guy is completely mental given the public place and in the middle of the day. They say it was random, he was probably going to attack regardless, this poor girl had the misfortune of being the one he attacked.

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The guy they were holding has been released and is no longer if any interest to their investigation. Disappointed that it wasn't an open shut investigation.

6. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Frightening for the locals up there

7. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

He was found guilty fairly quickly on social media.
    Guilty until proven innocent for some folks it seems.

Tarabuses, Shane_90 and GaryMc like this.
  8. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

There's obviously the fear that the guy is still out there but also raises the question as to whether the attack was so random or whether it was planned/stalker type attack. Apparently she ran there routinely. I had thought that the two women who came upon the scene had pretty much identified the guy but obviously not.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

They were on the other side of the canal and could only provide a description of the attacker so it appears that neither of them recognised the attacker. There's a bike in the mix now that they're trying to track down the movements of. I really hope this is put to bed quickly, if they get the guy there's going to be heaps of evidence at the scene I'm sure.

10. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Lucky they didn't hang the Romanian lad yesterday as many on different platforms wanted.
    I hope the guilty person is found quickly
    I can't stop thinking of her parents and friends

One cruel world at times.

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Police hung him out to dry in fairness by releasing the details they did about it, I thought it was odd they had released the nationality of the individual! They've had to be really strong on their point that he's not involved and not a suspect anymore, they're obviously worried about retribution from people who might never believe that it wasn't him.

Tarabuses and vodkacolly like this.
  12. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

The nationality thing does smack of a bit of racism or prejudice with the speed he was taken in and he obviously had nothing to do with it. I saw somewhere it said he had an alcohol problem and often hung out on the bank. That is hardly enough detail to justify making him an instant murder prime suspect. That poor man is now tarred with the murder suspect tag when he was not involved at all.

vodkacolly likes this.
  13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I hadn't heard that, no doubt he's down there drinking all the time and people are naturally suspicious of him and as soon as this happened everyone jumped to the same conclusion. I hope nothing happens him as a consequence, more collateral damage in an already horrific situation isn't needed.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  14. MrMo

MrMo
    Expand Collapse

The problem now is that the killer is still out there, and possibly with a 24hr head start on the guards. AGS record in tracking down killers like this, where they are not a family member/ known to the family, isn’t great is it?

What are the chances as of him ever being found?

15. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I'd be hopeful the eyewitnesses can point him out on cctv (it's hard not to get snapped these days).
    But as you said, he has a head start and could be out of the country by now.

16. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

There was a small vigil here in Lusk earlier. This one is particularly hard to take.

Please God the animal is caught.

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

So another somewhat unusual announcement by the Gardai that they have another definite line on someone but they're in hospital getting treatment for a number of injuries at the moment. This person seems to be linked to the bicycle. I really hope this is the guy and that this gets closed out quickly.

18. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully the killer is a jilted lover or an ex.
    If it's just completely random then it says something grim about Ireland today.
    And it will scare the shit out a lot of ordinary people going about their daily business.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I understand what you're saying so please don't take this as me having a pop at you,but there's another way of looking at it. If it's somebody she knows then Irish society could just go back to where we were beforehand where violence against women is far too easily accepted as part of everyday life. As tragic as this is,it's no more tragic than any of the other women who've lost their life to male violence. Its not that long ago a woman was murdered in Dublin city centre in a random attack and it didn't lead to country wide vigils and huge pressure on the Garda/government to do far more,but she was a foreign national which doesn't have the same impact on hearts and minds. A woman was murdered at home in Finglas recently around the same time it came out that the Garda were ignoring many 999 calls. How that wasn't the type of scandal that ends career's at the highest level,I don't know. The level of revulsion we all felt when we were sure it was a random act of violence is the level of revulsion needed for things to get better for women who were already scared before this happened.

The most important thing is that the killer is apprehended(whoever it is)that he's taken off the streets and that poor girls family gets justice,but this turning out to be a situation the public can feel a bit more comfortable with I don't think is something we should hope for.

20. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully the Guards didn't miss anything early on thinking they had their man pretty much straight away.
    As said above its the most horrific thing iv heard of and its cause we all can relate to it. Our partners, daughters, sisters all go for a walk around public places like this. We have seen women go missing and murdered in this country before go unsolved. Hopefully they catch the bastard.