This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

The brits also left documents lying around in their embassy in Kabul that had then ames and contact details of Afghans who worked there.
    They had a policy of shredding all documents before leaving but obviously didn't bother. Too worried about their own necks to give a shit about the Afghans who helped them.

2. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Unbelievable ain't it. They have more black hawks than 85% of the world

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

No he very obviously wasn't but the law being as it is this is the only angle apparently open to them so they went with it, not great that it's the route they're forced down and fair point on trivialising genuine cases (I don't think many will confuse them though). Said it already the case is a farce but I hope the chap gets some money, the whole thing was to create a storm and hope to force a payout. Can't imagine how shit it must be if this something that doesn't sit well with you as he had absolutely no choice in taking part in it.

4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Simon Coveneys head is well and truly underwater, they don't have a smoking gun just yet but I feel like there's more threads to unravel here. He's definitely been caught lying and this smokescreen about his phone being hacked smells of desperation.

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I hope Coveney gets away with it. Yes he's lying but lying is ok if it's the only way of getting something you think you deserve, and if Varadkar kept his job then Coveney deserves to keep his.

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

On a serious note, Varadkar using his only talent again very well. Moving public scrutiny from him to somebody else. How do they sack.Coveney though? If they hadn't of thrown accountability out the window in order to protect Leo,Coveney would certainly be done but sacking him will raise as many questions now as not sacking him. Then you've the Barry Cowens and Dara Callearys etc. who went under the bus with very little hesitation. Micheal Martin has been a doormat for FG. I hope getting the picture with Biden and the bowl of shamrock next March is worth it for Martin because he's done more damage to Fianna Fail than any leader in their history, and when you consider their history,that's some going.

7. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

if the data can be retieved from the phone and it was discovered that he deleted the text after the foi requests went in simon is in a lot of trouble. its game on now anyway in fg, leo and the 2 simons have marked each others cards.

8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

cowen was invited to answer questions in the dail btw and refused so mm gave him the ruud gullit.

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It was 100% correct Cowen got the bullet,whether he answered questions in the Dail or not. The point (for him and so many others in FF anyway)is that FG TD's aren't being held to the same standards. If a FF TD had acted like Varadkar or Coveney there would have been consequences because Varadkar would have demanded it and Martin would have rolled over. The amount of political capital that has been expended on a leech like Katherine Zappone should be incredible,but it's not anymore. In their last term FG were happy to let the whole country lose all confidence in the Gardai rather than be seen to back down on Noirin O'Sullivan. Coveney must be gutted they used up the lost phones excuse on that one.

10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Zappone is the one that might be able to provide the full transcript on this if she wanted to do so.

11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

That’s what I was thinking, surely she has the phone record but probably can’t be returned via FOI request at as technically she is not in government?

12. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

ha, you wont see her back in ireland any time soon. has she revealed yet who paid for the shindig in the merrion or what it was for, i wonder is that in the sc/cz texts?

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Can't be forced to provide them but if Coveney wanted to provide them to comply with FOI request then they should be requested. If she has deleted them or is otherwise unable to provide them the whole thing starts to look incredibly suspicious, even by this Govts standards.

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

i wonder if any journos have been on to the merrion to find out who paid for the shindig? if its all above board i cant see why they wouldnt comply.

15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Leo turning up at a music festival in the UK is going to go down really well here! For any other Irish person I'd say drive on but for a chap who's ultimately responsible for live festivals not been able to take place here it's a shocking decision. The oul PR advisors must be on annual leave at the moment too.

16. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Really doesn't look good does it? Be interesting the spin put on this. They seem to keep putting the foot in it recently. Might speed up the festivals now, considering his last gaff got us music outside :).

17. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I actually think Leo doesn’t give a **** any more. He had his stint at leader of the country, he actually did well in early stages of pandemic at least in his speeches. Martin had to take most of the blame when it went from bad to worse. He knows this government is a bit of a sham and will ride it out as long as he can. Can see him bailing to some big European job when this government falls apart. He also played a blinder on Brexit with backstop so he has plenty of points in the bag with the big shots in Europe.

18. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Katherine Zappone was told of her impending appointment to a UN role by the Minister for Foreign Affairs more than four months before the matter was agreed by Cabinet.

Documents released by the Department of Foreign Affairs show that Ms Zappone thanked Simon Coveney for "this incredible opportunity" on 4 March.

The WhatsApp message details how the former minister asked how long the appointment would be for and what the next steps were.

"Thank you again so much Simon - especially when you have so much on your plate. I spoke with Paschal too yesterday," Ms Zappone wrote.

The documents released show that there was initial contact from Ms Zappone to Mr Coveney on 22 February this year.

On that day she wrote that "I know Paschal (Donohoe) has spoken to you about my interest to get an intro to Sam Power. About the possibility of working with her at USAID on women and girls/ gender equality issues."

Ms Zappone added that efforts to advance the "human rights of LGBTQ throughout the world" was "in sync with our/Irish Foreign policy too."

19. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

some buachaills, paschal getting dragged in to it now.

20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Coveney is the only minister we have that is intelligent and capable. It's shame he's involved in this because he's needed for Brexit and all that involves.

Shane_90 likes this.