This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

SF probably victims of their own success in having more of the spotlight now that they're the most popular party in the country. None of the other parties have any links to anything remotely as senationalist as Sinn Fein with their IRA links so always good for some media attention. Best to get as many of these skeletons out of the way in this election as possible so they can try and clear decks for the next run at this, they can't lead a Government now, numbers simply cannot line up for them so it's about massaging their profile for the next run at it to see if they can make inroads into a support base what would have previously just wrote them off as the terrorist party or something similar.

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Very worryingly Micheal Martin is already hitting out at the central bank rules regarding mortgage amounts with claims that they're trying to force the country into a lifetime rental situation. FF have not changed, they will do exactly what they did previously, house prices have stabilised somewhat finally and are still a long way short of where they used to be under FF, this is largely because of the central bank rules limiting borrowing. If we go back to unlimited borrowing we'll end up in the same situation again with house prices hitting nonsensical levels. One of the best things that could possibly fall out of the central bank limiting the amount that house prices can reasonably go to is that it might finally shift the focus away from housing being seen as an investment, if you can't make big capital gains on a house then hopefully investors just wont' be interested in the long term yield that renting a property offers and it will be less of a speculative asset and actually just seen as a home.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

:)

4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The Scottish minister for finance has had to resign for sending a few hundred text messages to a 16 year old boy!

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

speaking of the central bank, does anyone know what's happening there at the mo, the whole building has been evacuated?

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

7. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

8. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Sure who isn't saying that?

Sinn Fein get families out of hotels and off the streets quicker than any other party I have no doubt about that because that's who there electorate is.

If we have to bring in the Troika to get the banks out of the shit I sure is hell wouldn't turn my nose up at that been the doomsday scenario for a party getting homeless people houses.

When that's addressed I'll look to the economy and sustainability of the planet.

There's a reason we are seeing Paul Quinn's mother being used this week and that's the fear of the patronising powers that be seeing the electorate think for itself. I'm fucked if Leo or Martin are any more competent than MLMD.

9. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Rathdown is really a mediocre constituency as far as choice of candidates is concerned. .It's 3 of 4 at best more or less decided already and will probably only vote for the sake of it but can't honestly be arsed as nothing will change anyway!

10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Most constituencies typically fall into a similar category, typically a safe FF seat and a safe FG seat, SF are winning a seat in about every second constituency too. Then afterwards in a rural one you might have a very strong independent who's guaranteed a seat and one more seat that might change on occasion.

I'm in Dublin West which is Leo's constituency so he's certain to be elected and Jack Chambers looks quite certain to get enough from the FF vote. Then you've two seats left, one is currently occupied by Joan Bruton and the other by Ruth Coppinger. Rod O'Gorman (Greens) and Paul Donnelly (SF) are the other two in contention. - Bruton looks certain to lose her seat if polls are in any way to be believed with SF looking certain based on national polls to take it. O'Gorman or Coppinger is a toss up but I think Coppinger has a much larger national profile which should see her through.

11. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

Shane Ross may be in trouble so I'll be getting out to try ensure he doesn't get back in.....

12. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

That's a complete whitewashing statement imo Shane. You can't simply explain away their links to that brutal murder by pointing the finger at FG and FF for political maneuvering. There is no denying there are still links in SF, their own former candidates have admitted as much in the fall out from the bullying allegations. If you can look past that, that is fine but let's not explain it all away as a political football. I won't vote for SF while they continue to have links with criminal scum.

13. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

one count i'll be keeping my eye on, i'll be bleedin delighted if he doesn't get in.

14. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Come to the conclusion that FF and FG are faaaaaaaaaaar too busy bashing each other and SF to have time for anything else. 24 hrs till they all have to pipe down and start practicing their "quietly confident" look for the counting stations, and I have had precisely ONE knock at the door from a canvasser and the one that did call I was pretty sure I was voting for already.
    Theres 70 odd houses on our estate, and the one opposite has about 110 and doesnt look like those votes mean a whole lot in what is a pretty small constituency (Carlow/Kilkenny) where a few hundred votes will likely make all the difference in the final seats.

15. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

You're probably right Ed. I rarely follow any other constituencies pre election but usually follow the results as they are being announced. The only other I would have an interest in is Longford but there hasn't been a TD down there for as long as I can remember.

16. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Oh definitely. An incentive to get out and vote if ever there was one.

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'm actually looking forward to the count this year, first time I've really found the whole thing so interesting. There's a change in Irish politics with people starting to vote based on socioeconomic factors which has rarely happened before, it's pretty much the norm in Western Europe and I think it will give everyone a more equal voice but it also means we're stuck with minority dails for the foreseeable future.

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It's not mutually exclusive though is it mate? 13 years the MSM and the other parties have had to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Quinn family and help them look for answers. I'm under no illusions that Sinn Fein are completely clear of some of the legacies of their past but that family are being used as a political football and I really hope that they know it and are just taking full advantage of the podium that they're being given,because if Sinn Fein dont end up in government that podium will disappear very soon after that government is formed.

elvis likes this.
  19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Think Noel Rock is fucked in my constituency. 3 seats and Rosin Shortall and Dessie Ellis are nailed on. Rock has gotten himself a fair bit of publicity over the last few years but the lad from FF has put in years of groundwork. Only politician I've ever seen out canvassing out of election time,keeps a profile all year round and has pushed really hard on the issue of scramblers which will win him a lot of friends. Seems a decent skin who actually cares and a solicitor colleague of his runs a free clinic. Pity he's FF.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I often think what it would be like to have a run of the mill illness or your kids having one and trying to deal with it in temporary accommodation,but I couldn't even imagine this.

Gerry likes this.