This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

You've made some fair points Mick but the same people who are in that position that you've mentioned (homeless etc.) should probably still be more appropriately looking at what FF did to destroy this country for why more isn't being done to help them. We're in a time of massive economic success but the country is barely keeping it's head above water because of things that happened over a long lifetime of a FF government which culminated in us going bankrupt and having to subvert ourselves to foreign masters by way of the Troika which set in motion a lot of what we're seeing in the country right now. The 9 years that FG have had in power were eaten into massively because of this and even when they came out of this arrangement we were borrowing massively just to keep the lights on in the country, our expenditure has exceeded our revenue in every one of the past 10 years up until last year, it's very hard for any Government to get anything right operating under these circumstances especially coming off the back of the crisis that we did. FF operated in a time of unparalled fiscal opportunity and managed only to ruin the country and leave us with nothing better to show for it after they'd left, a third world healthcare system, an unfit public transport system and a school system that couldn't cope with growth in population that the country was experiencing.

FF borrowed from future generations to continue to get themselves elected and everyone fell for it and in my opinion they're starting to fall for it again here with all of this talk of a vote for FF is better than a vote for FG because it's something different. Voting for a change just for the sake of a change when the only other viable option is the party that destroyed this country, left thousands out of homes and scattered people across the globe as they tried to piece together their lives after the crash is not a good enough reason for me.

I've never voted for FG in the past as far as I remember but my best local councillor is Roderick O'Gorman of the Green party but I'm always worried that the Greens will just see costs increasing for most people but they are very much in favour of public transport and cycling infrastructure both of which I rely on most days of the week.

babbsnads likes this.
  2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Dismembered body missing the head found in a bag in Coolock today, hard to actually get your head around that kind of thing!

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Sorry Ed,but the FF wrecked the country excuse has ran out of road after 9 years and doesn't even begin to excuse the policy decisions taken by Fine Gael. We're talking about a party that instructed their MEP's to vote to allow refugees to drown in the sea. Their policy decisions on housing show a party whose putting vested interests above solving the problem and their behaviour with the children's hospital shows they'll put vested interests above the health service too,and in the next few years you're going to be hearing about more private companies who've found their way into the health service. They're adamant that the market needs to sort out the biggest problems we have so unless anybody can explain why they'd change their policies if they got voted in again then a vote for Fine Gael is a vote for not even attempting to fix the biggest issues facing the country,and only to maintain the status quo where people like me keep doing alright while the misery for those who aren't managing keeps growing and growing. It's not irrational to remember what FF did to the country while at the same time realising they're many peoples only hope of lessening the misery they're suffering(although far from a decent bet). Thats a horrible situation to find ourselves in but that's where we are.Now you might not agree with that analysis but I'm confident enough you wont see the theory that FG have no intention of doing anything that solves the housing and health crisis if they're reelected as too far fetched either. Now imagine for a minute you understand the damage FF caused to the country but you're also in a desperate situation(be it with housing or your childs healthcare). The continued punishment of FF would be very low down your list of priorities and removing the party that have been in power for 9 years and are ideologically opposed to doing what needs to be done to help people now on a human level wouldn't be a case of you being fooled,and it wouldnt be change for changes sake. The rationale that if you dont incentivise political parties to do something then they won't is very sound. And why would Fine Gael suddenly start caring about people they never have if they know FF will keep being punished by the electorate forever? It's not like anybody else can get enough seats to lead a government which is a tragedy in itself,because it means we're stuck with one or the other of two horrible parties and that means the electorate letting FF out of the doghouse is the lesser of two evils.

4. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

FF changing the spiel already, saying they provided "stability" to the country by backing FG for the last 4 years, no more mention of confidence.
    no way will I vote FG but I certainly wont be voting for a party who showed confidence in them either.

Colm75 likes this.
  5. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

This FG government has been the most right wing I have seen in this country in my lifetime and I've been voting for the bones of 30 years. It is all about economy and nothing about society. The obsession with PR spin is at a different level that has ever come before. They won't get my vote.

GaryMc, Gerry and babbsnads like this.
  6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I'll probably vote Sinn Fein as I see them as the only hope there is of a party getting into power eventually that isn't FF or FG and I'm hoping they'll gradually get to a place where that's possible,but it definitely wont be this election or even the next one. It actually baffles me a little how badly they've failed to make a real dent in the polls even with the media coverage they get. Anyway Paddy Power has FF at 8/11 and FG at evens.

7. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

I won't vote SF but I think Mary Lou doesn't cut it as the leader of the party. She comes across as abrasive and haughty to me. Strange as she was a very strong second in command. My gut says FG will still win it due to the continued backlash against FF but I would hate to see their policies being given a mandate to continue.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think FF will win. FG will take most of the brunt for the 8th being repealed imo and the Conservative Christian's will be desperate to punish them,a demographic they will have had a fair few votes with in the past. Put that with FF's toxicity levels being down since the last election and FG scoring more own goals lately than FF,and I think theres enough of a swing there. But I could be very wrong and a lot can happen during the campaign.

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It happened at 1 O'Clock yesterday. I dont know why but I'm going to give Eoghan Murphys campaign team the benefit of the doubt and assume they put that poster up before the incident and even they wouldnt put a poster of the minister for housing directly over a crime scene where a homeless man has just been banjoed by a JCB.

14. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

A random twitter user has claimed the poster wasn't there around 7pm yesterday, but the crime scene was.

babbsnads likes this.
  15. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I was actually coming on to post about John Lahart and then I seen this. I was out yesterday around 5pm and the rain was coming down sideways with sleet in it and this guys posters where going up on lamp posts. I thought there and then any cu*t that sends people out in that weather to stick up posters will never get my vote.

Of course the housing minister has to go one step further.

babbsnads likes this.
  16. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Apparently Leo made some comment about the DCC supposedly checking the tents to ensure that there was no one in them, before work commenced, but something went wrong... you either looked in the tent or you didnt right (and I don't believe that they did) ?

FG have presided over the county while more people have found themselves sleeping on the street (and let us not forget those who died as a result of this) , problems with lack of hospital beds, and access to consultants or surgery in a timely manner continues, people struggle to get their kids a place in their local school etc. FG have done little if anything to impress me during their term in government, their local TD in my area has done zero for the locality (despite being a Minister, with influence, if he wanted to use it), while their general arrogance and apparent sense of entitlement ticks me off, no end.

FF have given FG a free hand, whether they call it confidence & supply, claim they did it to help the country get stability etc. If they form a government with FG in any shape or form again, they'll effectively have merged. I can't see the grass roots supporters tolerating that. I can't see Martin as Taoiseach, and wouldnt like him as my Taoiseach tbh - regardless of anything else, he lacks charisma imho. Many of his TDs havent impressed either, doing almost nothing to challenge FG policies and some of them not even turning up to vote when required to do so.

SF aren't ready for government IMHO, recent issues with a number of councillors quitting SF with public claims of bullying re-affirmed this for me. They have yet to evolve into a party that I would entrust with running the country. That said, they've a few TDs that I would happily vote for, if they were in my constituency and I think would do very good individual jobs, if they were in power.

That probably leaves me with the Greens, SDs, possibly Labour and some local independents, who I expect will get most of my preference votes. Social issues and environmental issues are high on my list and clearly need more action at national level.

If only there was a way to take what appear to be the better politicians from across all the spectrum of politics and put them together in government.

#5276 Garrett, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:51 AM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 1:19 AM
  17. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Personally think Sinn Fein would have a better chance of doing well with Pearse Doherty running the show. Very impressive good communicator and seems to get stuff done.

The options are bleak. I hope people vote with what’s the best for the country as a whole and not what is best for them financially in the short term. Health, Housing and Crime are what people should be asking their local Candidates about. The current government record on all 3 is beyond a disgrace.

Garrett likes this.
  18. KopHaney

KopHaney
    Expand Collapse

People shouldnt bother their arse to vote in protest

19. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Agree 100% mate.

20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, but I disagree, everyone should use their vote, IMHO.