This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

2. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

No doubt that it's contributing to the lighter traffic around Dublin city this week, and proves that if the kids were starting school at an earlier / later time, then it would make a massive positive impact on traffic congestion, and by extension, the cost to the Irish economy.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

A bill to raise(yes raise) the legal age to be married in Idaho to 16,has been defeated. So it's still legal for a 40 or 50 year old there to marry a 12 year old. Great country.

4. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Would be interesting to see the breakdown of how many Republicans v Democrats voted against it.
    Although I'm not interested enough to spend 5 minutes Googling it.

5. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Something seriously wrong there alright, but it's similar across other parts of the world too ... one of those things where I reckon there should be a minimum age across the globe of say 16-17 yrs.

6. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know what the cheapest airport to fly into Idaho is?

babbsnads likes this.
  7. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Lots of parents really pissed off and scared because they might have to police their childrens time online. Thats right folks, youtube won't raise your kids, its either you or Momo.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

We'll see,challenge accepted.

this likes this.
  9. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Its all fun & games til one of them wants to take Cookie Swirl C as their confirmation name.

Stevie S and babbsnads like this.
  10. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

Keith flint found dead in his house

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

You see guys like this and John Barnes discussing issues so eloquently,intelligently and from a position of experience,and you wonder why it's not the norm for main stream media instead of the exception. You dont have to agree with everything being said here to see he knows what he's talking about.Example,I believe in harsher prison sentences but because I believe there has to be real consequences for peoples actions and so the victims can feel justice is done, and not because I think it will reduce crime rates,it clearly doesnt.Instead both here and In the UK we get the same talking heads over and over who very obviously have no real understanding of what they're talking about,instead applying the viewpoint and logic of their life experience to every situation. Being a contributor to news and current affairs shows shouldnt be a job that can sustain anybody(unless they're reporting the news) because nobody has the expertise or knowledge to warrant a platform on enough different subjects.

I've always found it infuriating that so many people who've never lived in poverty think they'd be great at it. Hopelessness,lack of dignity,the anger that goes with all of that leads people to bad choices but it also leads people to choices that might seem like the wrong ones to many,but are neccesary for so they can feel like they're actually living rather than just existing. What people in poverty do with their money is one that often comes up and used as a stick to beat them with. They're buying cigarettes or alcohol or their kids have nice runners etc. Everybody needs something for themselves to enjoy or look forward to and sacrificing something others might deem more important to do that is often not the wrong choice at all. What people living in poverty are eating is another big one that people think they have sussed,again because of a lack of understanding of other people's lives and circumstances.

red2005 and Dub13 like this.
  12. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Awful news coming out of Christchurch this morning .New Zealand is probably one of the last countries in the World where you would expect to hear of a mass shooting.

Stevie S and Gerry like this.
  13. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Terrible stuff

Its horrible to see such hate and evil in the world

And it seems to be on the increase too

honald_tdb and Colm75 like this.
  14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I heard a report this morning that suggested NZ was actually targeted because it was so unexpected! Absolutely shocking stuff.

15. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

That could well be the case alright. I was there around about 2001 and remember there being a murder.A British tourist I think.It dominated the main news headlines for well over a week.I was thinking that it must be such a rare occurrence.It seemed to be one of the safest countries to visit.

16. prendy

prendy
    Expand Collapse

sickening. there is some f**ked up people in the world.

17. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Bad crash down in queen street this morning with a bus and the luas, the tram was knocked over to the other side of the tracks, must've been some smack.

Garrett likes this.
  18. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

19. RedArmagh

RedArmagh
    Expand Collapse

Unbelievable what has happened in Cookstown. 3 Teenagers crushed to death. Have read an account on facebook from one of the girls who survived but lost her friend. Absolutely harrowing.

R.I.P

vodkacolly likes this.
  20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Terrible tragedy. RIP