This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

This is quality, the 2 Russian lads the UK said poisoned the Skripols in Salisbury. They appeared on Russian TV and let's be honest they cleared up any confusion.

He said: “There’s the famous Salisbury Cathedral, famous not just in Europe, but in the whole world. It’s famous for its 123-metre spire, it’s famous for its clock, the first one [of its kind] ever created in the world, which is still working.”

vodkacolly and Carlsburger like this.
  2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Mad scenes the other day with the Gardai backing up fellas in balacavas who arrived in an English reg van to evict people. Know the reasoning behind the eviction but why do they need balacavas on them. Are they that ashamed of their job?

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Yes quite probably they are Gary, they were going to end up on the news and all over the front pages and probably don't want their kids or family getting abuse on account of it. The Gardai were there because a court order was issued for their removal from the house and they were refusing to leave. The support for the people who are occupying these private properties is quite astonishing to me.

honald_tdb, £6.50 and Colm75 like this.
  4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

From my little knowledge of the situation, it's symptom of the general anger at greed around the city the moment. A lot of these evictions are being reported as due to health and safety concerns when in fact its greedy landlords kicking out long standing tenants, so they can may hay on the crazy rental market and this is handy way to get people out. They were happy enough for people to live in these gaffs when places were hard to rent to anyone.

My own view is that housing crisis in city is at breaking point, and although this one is a bit of reach as effectively the folks are breaking the law, it could kick start mass protests, gain some momentum and the government will be forced to act.

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

The occupiers had till 2pm yesterday to vacate the building, they left the last building they had occupied in Summerhill before the specified time so chances are they would've done so again. Honestly didn't see the need for the lads to go in all heavy handed and ballied up on Tuesday night but sure they cleared the building so job done.

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

That's undeniably true but occupying individuals private property is not the solution to this. I don't believe that this group had any involvement with the property before their occupation as it wasn't an eviction as such, it was the removal of protesters who were occupying the building, I think I heard on the radio that it's last use was as office space but I don't know how true that is.

If that's what comes of this then perhaps it will have served some good but I don't really know what the Government can do in the short term to alleviate this problem (quite clearly they don't either to be honest).

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I see there are plans to build 20000 homes by taking state owned land/buildings and giving it to developers. That could be a good thing however can also see a tribunal in 20 years time to explain all the backhanders that went on behind the scenes.

I think there is a definitely some rent controls that Could be put in pretty quickly and better protection for existing tenants. I wouldn’t be that in favour of a rent relief scheme as the vulture funds would use that as a top up. Higher rents means more taxes coming into revenue so not really in their interest of the government to halt the spiraling costs.

8. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The dangerous conditions and overcrowding that occurred in some of the occupied properties when they were rented sadly doesnt seem to cause concern for many

9. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The dangerous conditions and overcrowding that occurred in some of the occupied properties when they were rented sadly doesnt seem to cause concern for many

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Yeah your man who owned the properties in summerhill was taking the piss and absolutely coining it in.
    Imagine if there had been a fire in one of those houses?
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news...itions-threatened-with-eviction-36871811.html

Gerry likes this.
  11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I don't see anything that says the guy who owned the property was making the money. Looks just as likely someone had a lease and was subletting and it was when the landlord found out about this that they were evicted.

12. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

He was aware there was 40 people living in 2 houses, absolutely shameful.

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Someone was aware, not necessarily the owner! Happened in a house on Prussia street before where an owner had let his house to an Indian chap and that lad took in about 30 people who were using it as a halfway house for lads coming into the country! The owner didn't know for months that it was happening. Huge trouble getting it sorted after he did find out.

14. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The announcement today said 40% of all houses would be social or affordable. If a house is not affordable then surely it's unaffordable? How can the state justify building unaffordable properties?

15. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

:confused: Not sure if serious :confused:

16. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Watched that this morning...comedy gold.
    The interviewer said they looked nervous....bollocks.
    They were as calm as f*ck.
    Did not look like a couple of innocent lads whose world had been turned upside down.
    Appearing on tv was just another 2 fingers to the British gov.

17. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I am serious. The state has no business involving itself in houses that ordinary people can't afford. A couple earning 100k per year for example should be able to afford anything the states builds.

The idea of a state agency for housing just has alarm bells ringing for me, developers back in bed with the state won't end well.

18. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

The state does not have the expertise or business of building houses directly itself. That would be a much much slower, expensive process which would not give any value for public money. As for affordability, the idea is that the money from the "unaffordable" houses will go towards paying for the construction of the "affordable" houses.

The highlighted bit just doesn't make sense, how can a state build houses without a state agency and how can they do it without engaging builders. It's a great soundbite, god knows the state is about the easiest target to hit, but it doesn't add up in any way whatsoever.

bobby benitez likes this.
  19. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

They said on the radio earlier that 40+% of the people who got affordable homes during the period of the old scheme are now in arrears, if they are targeting these new affordable homes at the same people I honestly can't see how it's going to work.
    Heard an interview with a FG TD the other day and he said there's enough experiences on all sides of the benches in Leinster house to understand how to build houses because they have come from county councils.

#4559 SUPERFAN, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

What I want to see them is fund the local councils to meet local demand. They can then tender the jobs on smaller scales.

The idea of a housing department is well intended and would work at a time of normal supply and demand levels. As it stands with the current crisis the developers would run rings around this agency, they have the experience, money and nous to shape everything to suit them. Already they have an unhealthy grip over the country, stock piling land left right and centre. They will never build on that if the government are paying them to build on their land.