This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Nationalism is one word for it.

GaryMc likes this.
  2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Better to not get too emotional with the language, both sides start every debate these days with either snowflakes or Nazis, it achieves nothing more than turning it into an argument before you've even considered the points to be debated.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Nothing emotional about it mate. Racism is taking hold in numerous European countries and America under the guise of nationalism...cold hard fact.

4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Anyway whatever you want to call it the point remains the same, Europe is heading into a very turbulent political era with the right wing becoming stronger with every passing year. It will be interesting to see if the left is willing to compromise on their open borders to try and stem the tide. I don't believe they can, or will and in the short term I see nothing that's going to stop more of the Eurosceptic parties gaining traction, it's an easy sell for them at the moment.

5. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Not every nationalist is a racist and not everyone who wants stricter border controls is a racist.
    Nationalism and racism are not the same.

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Probably should save that argument for the people making it,because it's not me. I'm saying the far right are using nationalism as a stalking horse which isn't even up for debate and the "not all nationalists are racists" rhetoric from people every time it's pointed out is getting tiresome.Not all nationalists are racists but the countries where nationalism is on the rise is giving more and more influence to people who are most definitely racist. Salvini,Trump,Le Pen,Farrage,Johnson....all massive racists whove seen their influence grow because of supposed nationalism and the protection of their borders with the help of people desperate to blame immigrants for all the problems facing their country.

Personally I'm more concerned with calling out overt racism,than avoiding causing offence to the definitely not racist people who seem to have no problem voting for racist politicians or policies,and I don't feel the need to qualify every comment I make about it with a disclaimer that not all nationalists are racists.

honald_tdb and Liverpool-law like this.
  7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

https://newrepublic.com/article/147102/opportunistic-rise-europes-far-right

8. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

No problem. I don't think many, if any, on here would be offended.
    It just bothers me that the words nationalism and racism are seen as interchangeable these days.
    There were a lot of proud nationalists in Ireland until it became a dirty word.
    Maybe it's just a sign of the times that the meaning of the word is changing as it often goes hand in hand with racism.
    Semantics just grinding my gears I suppose mate.

honald_tdb, Garrett and babbsnads like this.
  9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough pal,and that was basically my initial point,groups appropriating terms and tainting them.

vodkacolly likes this.
  10. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Along with religion, nationalism is the biggest human created construct which has caused the most suffering in the world. If you're not in our club, you don't have rights, we don't even have to view you as human in some cases. We are a pathetic species, one white man can have more money than a continent and small children starve to death and are bombed every day. What a great system we have built with our imaginary rules of whose lives get to matter. Thank God I was born white and speak English...

11. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Not disagreeing with you but they are just excuses for human nature.
    Take both constructs away and we will still behave the same. We will just find create another ideology to use as justification.
    It is not exclusive to us either.
    Outsiders being mistreated is animal nature too.

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Both were just ways of legitimising violence against another group because they were different to you. If you can convince people that another race/religion are different to you then it's so much easier to justify violence against them as you can avoid empathy for them a lot easier. It's straight out of the Goebells playbook and incredibly successful too. There was a great quote about it being impossible to persuade the intellects because they'd always think about it but if you went for the emotional arguments the truth became irrelevant as you were actually brainwashing people to genuinely feel differently without having to convince them of anything.

Liverpool-law, Garrett and vodkacolly like this.
  13. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Trump is separating kids from their parents at the US-Mexican border and detaining them separately. I think of my own kids and separating them at that age from us for even a short space of time in that formal situation and the trauma it would cause. He is an utter scumbag.

LFCRebel, south, Gerry and 1 other person like this.
  14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Besides supporting state terrorism in Israel and provoking Hamas with his embassy stunt I thought it was hard for him to go much further but this is just utterly dispicable. What is very worrying is I imagine his appeal to his core supporters has grown, they voted for him on an anti-immigration agenda so they likely feel this is a man getting things done. It's getting harder and harder to have faith in humanity and a belief that most people are genuinely good hearted. It actually seems to be the minority these days.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  15. £6.50

£6.50
    Expand Collapse

I don't know much about trumps policies and truthfully I don't really give a sh#t what they are, but the USA can do whatever they want, they are not answerable to anyone unlike members of the EU. Why are families being separated? Are the people attempting to enter the USA legal or illegal?

16. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

He just can't help himself, his comments tonight about Germany will actually have the opposite effect than he intended. Scumbag of the highest order.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Ripping kids away from their parents and keeping those kids in cages.I honestly cant fathom how the mind works of anybody who'd condone that and I hope the cunt dies a very painful death,preferably soon.

bobby benitez likes this.
  18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/compare-theresa-may-comment-to-hitler-associate/

Britain is on a dangerous trajectory too.A group of politicians and newspaper editors happy to push Britain off a cliff for their own ends.James O'Brien knows he'll get Godwins Law thrown at him here but more and more that's used to try to delegitamise perfectly valid comparisons to the Nazi regime just like people are trying to change the boundaries of what constitutes racism by claiming it's concerns about security.Between Trump and the Tories we could see 60 or 70 years of progress eroded by scumbags who'd put a hit out on their granny to protect their own interests.This has gone beyond politics now,its the scum of the earth inflicting suffering on millions because they choose to.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

BREAKING. #Italy Interior minister and LEAGUE leader Salvini: "I've asked for a census of the Roma community living… https://t.co/xTZwvd5rGX

The same guy in the run up to the election,
    "Italy needs a mass cleansing,street by street,neighbourhood by neighbourhood". Not long after 6 African migrants were murdered and he's also on record praising Mussolini.

20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse