This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

#WHCA Statement to Members on Annual Dinner https://t.co/8DKoHNxpNi

What a shower of cowardly cunts.They're terrified of the Trump administration and Michelle Wolf called them out for what they are.

2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Football Without Fans Is Nothing

What do folks make of the two molesters tied up and covered in paint in Armagh and beaten with iron bars? Only medience for them in my opinion, as they were openly going to where kids where playing despite them being all over social media.

Reports They were at a GAA football pitch in Monaghan earlier in the week when young kids were training, as in actually walking Around the pitch. word spread within minutes via community watsapp group as someone recognized them from FB. They seemingly were saying they were working on maintenance of the dressing rooms and then did a runner.

Jail is too good for likes of them, they should put to hard larbour breaking rocks for next 20 years.

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Castration should be part of the solution for those convicted of child abuse (or rape).

As a nation, we are far too soft on crime, with people walking the streets despite having dozens of convictions, or hardened criminal gangs intimidating the prison officers and essentially controlling the prisons.

Excuses about the lack of prison cells, or the need for more councilors to help Little Johnny get over the fact that his parents separated when he was 9 and that's why he's got 87 prior convictions, don't cut it for me. Cut back on the quality of life for prisoners, stop giving them pocket money, pool tables and sky tv etc. and that all frees up money to be put towards more prisons. Add to that some compulsory manual labour for those in jail with income generated to go towards the cost of keeping them, and we're back on the right road again.

Until we seriously toughen up on crime, things will just continue to go from bad to worse, and we'll end up seeing more vigilante type groups taking matters into their own hands as they try to protect society from the bad guys.

#4383 Garrett, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  4. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Garrett I'm afraid the evidence shows that what you are suggesting simply does not work. If we want to tackle the problem as a whole, reduce crime etc., more prisons and more prison cells won't prevent or reduce it. You can't say that without being seen as soft on crime but the system as we have it simply doesn't work.

5. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Afraid you've actually left me a little confused by that post mate, as in part of it you are basically saying I'm wrong but then you go on to say the system we currently have doesn't work (the system being that we release too many criminals without appropriate punishment for all sorts of reason) ?

On a more general point, people produce "evidence" to support every point of view - so telling me that the evidence shows that being tougher on crime, ensuring we've sufficient prisons and making them less comfortable for prisoners etc. doesn't work when we don't actually have that option, doesn't fly with me.

Having criminals out on the streets with numerous convictions, simply because we've too few prison cells or because some ejit tree huger decided pool little johnny deserved yet another chance is nonsense. Repeat offenders are just that, repeat offenders. Letting them have the freedom to continue to offend is simply a non-runner in my book.

6. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

The system of incarceration with little else doesn't work yes.

Not getting into an argument Garrett, this is a football forum so I am not going to get into too much detail on a subject on which there are countless volumes of books written on it. But until we change the way we view the whole structure, we are caught in the same circuit. It has nothing to do with being soft, it is about saying, we are not getting results, we are no safer, are there ways that can make things better? If it ain't broke don't fix it, if it is, can we do something about it?

Garrett likes this.
  7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse

You are totally correct that something needs to change. At the moment there is little incentive not to reoffend. In some cases you have people with over 100 previous convictions still committing crime and coming before the courts. It may be petty crime however some of those folks probably have a better standard of life in the Big House. On the flip side you have serious criminals that have no fear of going to jail as they know they could do a few years and still control their rackets from inside. It’s not ideal but standard of daily life may not be too bad.

If it’s clear that someone has no interest in going back into society as a law abiding citezen and they reoffend or are found guilty of serious crime, they should be made do hard manual labour while inside. When they come out they think to themselves I don’t want to end up on in there again. There are some people that unfortunately programmed or wired to commit terrible crimes so probably no help for them so they need to be monitored.

Garrett likes this.
  8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's only my opinion but if something happened to me or a family member and it was committed by a person who had something like 50 previous convictions I couldn't really blame the person anymore, it's 100% on the judiciary. That person has put their hand up 50 times previously that they were not going to be a functional member of society and the judiciary failed to do anything about it, when they got released again on their 51st I would feel like the judiciary had once again failed me. That could be taking them off the streets long term or some sort of rehabilitation to stop them offending but at some point you have to say that they have had enough chances, put them away for 10 years, if they come out and re-offend after that it's a full life sentence.

You'll find statistics from all kinds of places with all sorts of different methodologies about rehabilitation V punishment and there's ones that work in both cases. The Danes pride themselves on their very lenient sentences and comfortable prisons with little "punishment" and a complete focus on trying to get the person ready to engage appropriately with society. Compare that to places like Dubai where they've set the deterrent so high for petty and serious crimes that you just wouldn't fathom doing anything which is out of line. Both are places that I've been where I have felt very safe and witnessed very little petty crime.

If, for instance, you took every heroin addict in Dublin City centre off the streets how much would crime go down by? How many fewer muggings would there be? Obviously it's not going to happen in this country but the streets would become vastly safer in an instant but it's not a palatable solution in this country because we'd feel guilty about treating people like that when the addict is seen as a victim of the drug and everything they do gets washed under the carpet because they're on that drug.

Garrett likes this.
  9. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

That's cool, wasn't looking for an argument either mate.

I think that we've different points of view here in terms of what changes we'd both make, and as Ed has correctly pointed out, there are other parts of the world that show extremely different solutions being implemented and all appear to be more successful than the current Irish arrangements, so perhaps you and I can just agree that the current system is failing us all badly ? :)

The really sad irony here Ed, is that Ireland it it's wisdom is actually going to start providing places in the middle of the city for them to shoot up, so it's actually drawing in more druggies and the scumbag dealers into the city center to add to the problem further.

Personally, I'd rather house them in some of the ghosts estates in remote parts of Ireland, where they can avail of shelter, there can be safe needle disposal or clean syringes provided, we can have volunteers go help them all they want, but equally they are kept well away from the large majority of the population so restricted in the level of crime they can commit against the rest of us, the level of influence they can have on new people starting to take drugs etc.

#4389 Garrett, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  10. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

What's going on in Israel/Palestine at the moment is an absolute affront to modern society. Whether the relocation of the US embassy was a calculated move by Trump to directly cause trouble or just a reckless act brought about by his complete lack of knowledge of international diplomacy it is shocking how little anybody seems to be able to do to to dissuade Israel from wiping out the Palestinian people. The callousness of the situation and the complete disregard that the US seems to show for a situation that they have directly caused is quite incredible, it's not even just the republican party at fault on this, there seems to be almost complete cross party support for what is happening.

Obviously the easy answer that is being peddled is that the Palestinian people shouldn't be protesting at the Israeli border but it shows a complete lack of knowledge of how the situation has developed over the past 50 years and the insensitivity of carrying out there ceremony on this week of all weeks where tensions and emotions were already heightened. I see the current Israeli state as little more than a terrorist state with a war mongering leader bent on wiping the Palestinian people off the planet and with Trump in his pocket there's very little the world can do as the UN will be vetoed in it's attempts to do anything.

honald_tdb, Garrett and babbsnads like this.
  11. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Its make you wonder why they need a wall to stop Mexicans. Why not just send up drones and tear gas them? Failing that just open fire on them.

12. Dzer2

Dzer2
    Expand Collapse

It's a lot easier to shoot a slow moving target climbing a wall than one that's running through brush and rocks. And a lot less chance of shooting themselves

13. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

It's disgusting and given the importance of the 70th anniversary of Nakba, it doesn't bide well.

The treatment of Palestinians is inhumane in my opinion.

babbsnads likes this.
  14. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse

Been busy all this week so not seen anything in the way of news. Just went onto Independant website and the top three stories in Irish news are

14 year old girl killed in Lucan
    Gardaí arrest man and woman in relation to a baby’s death
    Man charged with beating uncle to
    Death

Its bad times we are living in

15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

That girl who was killed went to the school that I went to and was last seen in a park where we used to play football as kids, to see something like that happen so close to where I grew up makes it feel so much worse. Frightening story, the sheer brutality of what I've read is completely out of normal proportions and on a 14 year old girl, completely sickening. I would expect that they've already got a good idea who they're looking for.

16. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, as she was with some other kids at the time last seen I'd say the cops must have some solid first party testimony to get them going. When did she leave you, was someone with her, where was she going, did she say she was meeting someone, did you see anyone hanging around etc. etc.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Tragic story and when you've girls of your own who are only a few years from being teenagers,it's terrifying.
    May the poor girl rest in peace.

GaryMc, honald_tdb and bobby benitez like this.
  18. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like a woman abducted in Wicklow aswell.

19. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Shots fired by the garda in cherrywood near where they found the SUV.

20. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Word is he is dead, no news on the girl.