This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Horrific news around this family in Limerick involved in a pedophile ring.

Sounds like the arrests are part of a long running investigation and concerns were raised over a year ago. How the fck does it take so long for something like this to get to the arrest stage

2. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I'm amazed there were no injuries as a result of the fire in Ballymun.
    Fair play to everyone involved in getting people out safely.. it could've been so much worse.
    There was also a fire in the Beacon Apartments in Sandyford but I don't think it was too serious.

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Yes, very fortunate that no one was injured.

That hotel in Ballymun was a fairly recent build, so how the fuk was it not built with inflammable materials ?

4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Inflammable literally means easily flammable!

I believe there was a Simpson reference involving doctor Nick at one point.

On the tower is it not a success that this has been restrained to so few floors? I am no building expert but no fatallities and only fire damage on 2 floors seems like a good outcome.

Garrett likes this.
  5. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

That rugby rape trial should be over soon, seems like its on a very long time.

6. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Think there's been delays for all sorts, ranging from snow to some of the witnesses getting their bikini lines done.

My guess is a decision next weekend ?

7. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

All four defendants in the Belfast rape trial have been found not guilty on all charges.

Ulster and Ireland rugby player Paddy Jackson has been acquitted of rape and sexual assault, while his tema-mate Stuart Olding has been acquitted of rape.

Blane McIlroy has been found not guilty of exposure. Rory Harrison has been found not guilty of perverting the course of justice and not guilty withholding information.

The jury reached their unanimous verdicts on all counts after three hours and 40 minutes of deliberation.

8. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

No surprise there. Would be hard for any jury to convict them beyond reasonable doubt given none of the versions matched up.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely insane the way the lads were named and shamed in public, subjected to trial by media all before they had any guilty findings against them. There's no rationale for protecting the victims identity without the same protection for the accused, it's a crazy hypocrisy.

Garrett and bobby benitez like this.
  10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Jackson’s lawyer does not think enough was done to protect her and I’d agree. From the prosecution case to the public nature of the trial, it was a circus. Hopefully not a sign of things to come with court cases becoming a Version of reality tv show played out on twitter.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news...tect-the-complainants-anonymity-36754184.html

11. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I wonder is this rally in Dublin will get a big crowd or not.

12. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I think they are planned in other counties also

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

What's the protest about, I just looked out the window in the office and there's a few hundred people outsside the GPO, didn't see anything on the news about protests.

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

In solidarity with rape victims.

15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

With a bit of luck this whole mess will serve as a wake up call for a lot of people on what is and isn't acceptable.

To be honest the level of vitriol that I've seen aimed at the girl involved in this case online is quite sickening. We'll never know the full truth of this but the mob on both sides have decided that they're 100% right, she's either some slut that regretted what she did afterwards or the two boys are rapists who have just got away with one because of who they are.

16. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Very true.

Innocent until proven guilty is all well and good in theory, but these lads have been accused of rape and despite the outcome of the trial, their names have been tarnished.

I wonder if a civil case could now be taken by one or more of the lads, against the girl, for slandering them ? ... one for Liverpool_Law next time he's passing through, I suppose.

Sadly, none of the parties come away from this experience in a good way. For different reasons, I feel sorry for all of them.

17. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I highly doubt they would do that Garret. They will be keeping the head down hoping this goes away. Imagine they took a civil case and new evidence came to light that did not look good for them.

I see they could be taking proceeding against BBC for releasing their names before they were charged.

Unfortunately the current media news cycle demands instance news as it’s so competitive for revenue that if your not first your last, if you may be are potentially breaking the rules .

I saw on twitter certain journalists getting pats on the back from their Peers for their excellent coverage of almost live tweeting of the entire trial. In my opinion that should be banned and is part of problem that creates the hysteria. A few folks I know basically spent the last two months following it day by day on twitter in every detail. Don’t why anyone would be arsed. Just because they are well known, people become obsessed with them.

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

More chance of her taking a civil case than them imo.I totally understand why the jury arrived at a not guilty verdict,there was obviously a reasonable doubt but how anybody could read the evidence and be even close to certain they didn't do it is beyond me.At best we're all taking educated guesses.I agree that the defendants names shouldn't be released before the trial has concluded,as much for the alleged victims benefit as there's,but apart from that I have no sympathy for these lads.One thing that was proved conclusively imo is that they're horrible cunts.

On a sidenote this was the directions the judge issued to the jury before deliberations.Im sure it's all legal and above board but when you look at this while taking into account not just the huge burden of proof on the prosecution in court,but also how solid a case has to be before it can even get to court,then it's easy to see why less than 1% of rapes end with convictions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...first-day-of-deliberations-1.3441925?mode=amp

19. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

To be honest Babbs I think the judge was going as far as she could to tell the jury that they really had no choice but to find them not guilty. Based on the evidence and the weight of evidence that must be presented to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt it was the only verdict they could reach and I'd say the judge didn't want a Shakey verdict on such a high proile case.

With regards to the lads taking legals cases I'll assume that's just a random thought out loud because it's absolutely never going to happen. Even from a technical point the girl didn't take the case against them, she was the victim but the state brought the case. To be honest it never should have made the courtroom when you see how many holes there were in the prosecutions case, they've done a disservice to the victim by dragging her through it with the knowledge that they had no chance of a conviction.

20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

From what little I know of this type of situation, a ruling in a criminal case tends to "almost" set a precedent for how the ruling in the civil case would go (albeit, it doesn't mean there's definitely a pay out, if the victim is proven right).

I don't think new evidence would be brought to a civil case, it would be brought back to the criminal courts when seeking an appeal of the original decision, I'd imagine - given that the supposed victim would only be the defendant in a civil case taken by the lads, so have nothing to gain. I'm obviously open to correction by one of our legal eagle friends here though, this is just how I would see it.

The fact that the case involved high profile people, who were accused of rape but not found guilty, and it's likely resulted in reputational damage for them, maybe impacted on their ability to earn in the future (like possible loss of sponsorship deals) etc. There's potential grounds there for them to take a civil case imho. Ed's point about who actually took the case might be a consideration as to who the civil case might actually be taken against, but I'm out of my dept here so won't go any further.

You are dead right about the media, but then the rules should either be changed so all parties can be named, or else strict enforcement with tough penalties when the media break the laws. As things stand, I think the media generally tend to get away with small stuff, to a greater or lesser extent.

IMHO, I don't think the odds would be anywhere near favorable for her to win a civil case, having lost the criminal case. Again, I'm open to correction here, but you'd essentially be asking the civil court to find that the criminal court was wrong and I couldn't see that happening given the circumstances.

I'd say that's a very tough one to call, if you've been approached by a woman claiming she was raped and looking for justice.

When I did jury duty for a case in the past, the judge gave a somewhat similar explanation of how to come to our decision, I think they probably have to do this, given a lot of people sitting on a jury would not be very familiar with the legal system and how we are supposed to come to a decision. Emotions will always play their part in decision making, so perhaps it's to try and keep everyone focused on facts, rather than allowing emotion could judgement.

I think one of the pivotal moments in this particular trial was when that other girl (Dara ?) gave evidence saying that when she walked in on them, it didn't look like a rape, the alleged victim didn't appear to be struggling, didn't cry out to her for help, and then Paddy Jackson invited even her to join them etc. The fact that the witness was another woman and gave that evidence, certainly had a strong impact on my own thinking of whether it was rape or not.

#4380 Garrett, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018