This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Athletic - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by steve_r, Sep 30, 2019.

1. steve_r

steve_r
    Expand Collapse

Wanted to get peoples thoughts on this. For those who haven't seen it, it's an American subscription website which gives daily longform articles and has club specific journalists, so James Pearce for LFC. They also have established journalists like Michael Cox, and Adam Hurrey. They also have a huge amount of american sports coverage. All the articles are ad-free and new content goes up dailly.

So that's the good. I've been subscribed a month, and I've read a good bit on it. There's been interesting interviews with Rafa, good coverage of stuff like the Kit wars etc.

However I do get the sense that some articles are long, for the sake of being long. There's criticism out there that the way they use their model is to get people to signup, then let go the journalists that encouraged us to sign up in the first place.

I'd like to know what the rest of you think?

Carlsburger likes this.
  2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Don’t have the attention span these days to read long articles online for free never mind subscribe. Can just about read A regular article in a newspaper. Don’t buy papers but they have them at work so will sometimes read them.

Used to get Four Four Two read it cover to cover, these days though it’s podcasts all the way for Footie news and interviews

3. Carlsburger

Carlsburger
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I signed up a while ago and am a bit underwhelmed. The articles are over long, I though the Rafa stuff was a bit boring (I am his biggest fan btw) and I also though there was a negative vibe towards the club in some articles. Notably the Shef Utd one last week. The article about LFC getting turfed out of League Cup was something about nothing. The way it filters the topics also means you get LFC stuff and nothing else.

I'll stick to the Sunday Pink!

4. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

I absolutely love it. It's Pearce and Simon Hughes given free reign to be creative regarding Liverpool however I have all the Liverpool news in the world so more often than not don't read the articles unless there is a take on it that I like.

I've always had an interest in articles by beat writers around the league's and have found some brilliant articles in this regard.

I've huge interest in NFL so get loads of good content but for 30 for the year I find it great value tend to read 2-3 articles per day and I'm happy out with that. Find the writing to be of far higher standard than tabloids which I haven't bought or read in years.

5. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

For 30quid for 13 months full access to all the articles and podcasts is great value. When I'm on public transport I'm reading up to 6 articles a day. It's got excellent coverage of American Sports. I have all my favorite teams logged, as well as leagues and sports I'm interested in, so I don't just see LFC content. I love the app, it's fully customizable to suit your needs, you can change the color scheme, the text size and the fonts.

I like the Q&A's that the journalists and guests host and I've even had a few questions answered.

I like that they offer fantasy sports content too.

I really hope they didn't use a lot of writers just to generate some pull, and then dump them later.

There's some absolutely excellent articles on it, and the writing is of a high standard.

Customer service and development team are really responsive with issues, questions and bugs. (except the one below, seems it might be a forced sales ploy)

Downsides:
    It's not free.
    Some of the articles are too long.
    When you click in to an article, see it's too long, but want to come back to it later, it logs the article as read and it's really hard to find again later.
    When you click a link to an article, it doesn't automatically open in the app, it tries to get you to sign up even though you already are, then forces you to get the app which you already have, so then you have to go back see who tweeted the link and then search for that journalist manually to find the article.

steve_r likes this.
  6. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

How do you get that offer?

7. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

For year long memberships: your free trial month added to the 12, making it 13 months.

There was a 50% off link on their twitter the other month. I could have sworn the deal ran until sometime in October.

Alternatively, if you have a student email address you can get it for 50% off.

Finally, if all else fails, there's a referral program where you get 40% off and someone gets a £25 Amazon gift card.

redabbey likes this.
  8. steve_r

steve_r
    Expand Collapse

Redmen have an offer as well, plenty of ways to get value on this

9. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Got the same offer as Eric. First month was free and then got 50% off for the first year.

I love it been honest. Some of the articles from other teams are excellent two. I like the MMA section too.

10. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Signed up myself recently and have to say enjoying it so far. Some great articles on Liverpool and other clubs. I follow certain journos like others. I follow MLS as well so great to have articles on the league.

11. Rossie96

Rossie96
    Expand Collapse

I've been subbed for a month, and it's honestly great value. I love the long form pieces, but each to their own in that regard I guess. If you're sick of click baity articles, it's well worth the sub.

Shane_90 likes this.
  12. Carlsburger

Carlsburger
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Starting to enjoy this much more than i did at the start. The articles are quite long so you need to set aside a bit of time to read through them. But in the main they are very good, insightful & different to the standard click bait on other websites.

LKDAVE likes this.