This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Anfield Wrap

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by El Madrigal, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Bit annoying that, wasn’t it?

It looked like Liverpool had got things just right in terms of balancing the need to win today with the need to save legs for the big one on Tuesday.

At 2-0 up, the cigars were out. At 2-1 the Reds were still just a couple of minutes away from a 21st Premier League win of the season.

Rondon - and a West Brom team with their blood up in a last go at beating the drop - had other ideas. They love a set piece. And we let them have them.

Two points dropped then but it’s no disaster – let’s keep cool and keep context.

Liverpool have taken more points - and scored more goals - than any other side in the league against teams in the bottom half this season.

So there really is no need to trot out the “typical Liverpool” line when a makeshift defence loses two goals to a big physical side.

Typical Liverpool of 2018 has a semi-final of the Champions League to think of...

Jürgen Klopp had a pop at the ref at the end, and while Liverpool have to stay focused on the things they can control, the boss wasn’t the only one wondering why Dawson cleaning out Ings isn’t a pen, or why Hegazi stays on the pitch after having a game of MMA with Ings and Salah.

It was a mixed day for Ings. You’d need a heart of stone to not get a glow after his goal - his first for 930 days after a nightmare with injuries. But no one told West Brom it was a nice story, and they proceeded to boot him all over the pitch from then on.

He should have a second, he should have a pen. But it wasn’t to be.

Salah, meanwhile, showed how it’s done. Not his most effective of performances but another dink, another goal, and 41 up in his debut season. Player of the Year. Golden Boot. Get his name carved on both.

What else? Milner was bright and busy, it’s a great ball from Chamberlain for Mo, Klavan was decent given he comes in from the cold, Gomez too, the build up to the free kick at the end aside.

Karius has no chance on the first, and him and Lovren look nowhere on the second. In general though Karius’s front foot goalkeeping is working. Again, context not crisis. Leave the panic and manufactured fury to panels on the telly.

We move on. It’s done. It’s a point. And a very different Liverpool will line up on Tuesday. Then, no energy will be conserved, minds will be focused, the team will be the strongest and Anfield will bounce again.

Bring it on.

Enjoy the sunshine, Reds. Bring on yer Roma by the score.

Robbo

redabbey and 77kop05 like this.
  2. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Go back to Italy, go back to Italy, go back to Italy...

A simple ditty, an easy tune, but not a rhyme that enough know in 2018. That’s sound though, the sentiment is the same. You came, you saw, you were conquered.

Before the game as we clinked glasses to the Reds the age-old question went round, “what score do you reckon?”

Two-nil to the Reds was the most popular shout. That’s what the seasoned supporters calming nerves with a bevy were happy with pre-match.

So here we are. Five-two, 5-2. Liverpool scored five and could have easily had eight. Even nine.

Salah’s goals are magnificent, Firmino is magical and Mane is on the scoresheet once when it should have been three.

If you’re taking 2-0, you’re taking 5-2. Don’t be fearful, don’t be negative, think instead how we tore them apart at will. How we out-battled them and out-thought them and had more quality than them. What is changing in Rome? Are they never going to give up a chance? Are our boys going to lose the swaggering confidence that is flowing through them?

No one knows for certain. No one knows for sure. It’s why we love this game. But come on. Drink it in. Enjoy it. Live it. Love it. No one predicted this. We’re a more than achievable result away from Kiev. You’d have taken that when we were drawing away at Watford.

This side is a joy. There’s confidence, skill, audacity, work-rate and, yes, the unknown - good and bad. But the fact this has come from nowhere - well that’s the best bit, isn’t it? Never the favourites, never the fancied, but that’s how we like it.

Bring on yer Roma by the score.

Robbo

3. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Liverpool in a European Cup final.

Sounds good that, doesn’t it?

Now it’s real. And it’s Real. And it’s here and it’s happening.

For the first time since 2007 it’s not just a dream. The Reds ‘only’ have Real Madrid standing in the way of number six. And so the plans for Kiev begin.

Whatever you predicted for tonight it wasn’t that was it? The Reds were bananas there, frankly. The tie should never look so close. And the better side advanced. But in a religious city they had everyone praying there.

We knew they’d have a go, and they did, but the Reds should be out of sight. Man of the match Mane brought his shooting boots, others didn’t. At the back the Reds were rocking, and a threadbare squad looked knackered by the end. Too many bad decisions, too little sense. I’ll take Andy Robertson smashing people all day though.

But, but, but. Who needs gripes and groans? A European Cup final. Get in. Kiev. Yirse. A chance. A big one. Boss. We love being the underdog and here we are again. No one predicted this in August and take a look at us now: we’re signing and dancing in Ukraine.

And what about all that at the end?

Fans buzzing, players buzzing, manager buzzing. And all recognising the part played by the other. How it should be. The lads coming to the Liverpool end when it was all over was a great moment. Jürgen reemerging a moment ago for a fresh fist pump even better. We’ve done this together.

It’d be easy to moan about being herded around parks and onto hot buses and going through never-ending turnstiles and checks to get into Stadio Olimpico tonight. But you know what it was worth it. Every bit of it. This is what you do it for.

And now we can dream. Imagine it. That trophy in red ribbons on May 26. Make it happen, Reds. This is a club again. A proper club. And proper clubs win trophies.

Up the fucking Reds. Now any chance of letting us out, Mr Italian Policeman?

Robbo

4. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Some time there that you’ll never get back. What a grim watch.

For our boys you can make some excuses. The injuries, the energy levels, the hangover – physically, mentally and emotionally – from the Champions League exertions.

The squad is bare bones, and Nathaniel Clyne, making only his second start this season, showed that some of those bones aren’t fit for fighting right now. He struggled, should have been booked, was booked, then was hooked. Not his day.

He wasn’t alone. Firmino and Salah hardly see the ball. And when they did they were less than influential.

But what about Chelsea? OK, they won the match. But it can’t be fun watching that. For most of the game they sat in like a team from the bottom half, not one that lifted the title 12 months ago. They're allowed to of course. But you know.

The first half hour is all Liverpool, with Sadio Mane taking the fight to the side whose supporters have the biggest book of bellend songs in the league.

Steven Gerrard retired two years ago. Very few who sign on the dole can afford to watch Premier League football. And you know Hillsborough? They were the victims and it wasn’t their fault.

Chelsea's goal comes against the run of play, the cross taking a nick, landing between our centre halves, favouring Giroud, and you know the rest.

From there, it’s a horror show. Poor choices, poor control, poor final balls. Henderson injected a bit of energy, a bit of difference in the angles and approach, but it wasn’t enough.

Nothing was ever clear-cut, the Reds weren’t incisive enough, fast enough or clever enough to beat a side set and deep. And there wasn’t the requisite quality on the bench to change it either.

Some of that is injuries, some of that is Coutinho out and no-one in. Klopp has already suggested it will be Naby Keita and more come the summer. It clearly needs to be if Liverpool are to compete on several fronts.

After being 12 points clear of Chelsea not long ago it likely now goes to the final day to secure top four. One last push. Beat Brighton. Then it’s all about Kiev.

A European Cup final. It still sounds good, doesn’t it?

We've been to Hoffenheim and Maribor, Moscow and Seville.

And then we went to Portugal and battered them five nil.

Thousands went to Manchester, you’ll never walk alone.

Then we went the Vatican, taking over Rome...

Taking over Rome.

Robbo

redabbey, GaryMc and Colm75 like this.
  5. CHARMAC

CHARMAC
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Now we're off to Kiev to bring old big ears home

6. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Well in, Liverpool.

Top four, back in the Champions League next season and a chance to win the bloody thing in less than a fortnight. You’d have taken that before a ball was kicked in August, wouldn’t you? I know I would.

The progress of The Reds is clear under Klopp and this is consecutive seasons in the Champions League, and consecutive seasons with 70+ points, for the first time in a long time.

There was a scenario going into today’s match where Liverpool could finish fifth and the mouth-frothers would have their day.

No one told The Reds. And no one told Rafa Benitez either. What a guy.

There were no nerves at Anfield, no worries, and off the pitch and in the stands it was the atmosphere the occasion demanded - loud, fun and passionate.

For the passion see the reaction to the penalty not given. A season ends with Spurs getting more spot kicks at Anfield in the league than Liverpool. Another blatant-looking one turned down. It’s getting ridiculous now.

Thankfully it mattered not in the grand scheme. Liverpool carved out chance after chance and could, and perhaps should, be scoring seven or eight. But who really cares? This was a succession of good stories about The Reds across the course of 90 minutes.

Mo is the top scorer in a 38-game Premier League season. Dejan Lovren isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he grafts and toils and gives it his all - it was nice to see him score and nice to see him enjoy it.

It’s the same for Solanke and Robertson. First goals for the club are huge in a player’s career. And there they are. Something to cherish, something to savour. Something to build on.

The Reds looked back to the side we know and love today. Graft, guile, goals and some special moments. The week off did the trick. I can’t wait to watch back what Bobby does in the corner. Showboating at its finest. And why not? Liverpool remembered they were Liverpool - a very good football team.

Kiev then. The Premier League done. Big Ears winking at us from afar, pouting, waving. Close. Number six - imagine it, dream about it, picture the scenes.

The Reds have made us dream again. And you can’t ask for much more than that.

See you in Ukraine. We love you Liverpool, we do.

Robbo.

Rossie, redabbey and LFCRebel like this.
  7. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Question lads for the people who are signed up. Thinking of signing up. Is it worth the £5 a month? I generally don’t get a chance to listen to podcasts but would like to try start again.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think it's well worth it mate. I haven't bothered much with it during the summer as I'm not big into the pure obsession with transfers but during the season there's plenty there for a fiver.

Ron1892 likes this.
  9. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Thanks Babbs. I think for me it’s getting around to listening to them. I think I’ll subscribe and give it a go.

babbsnads likes this.
  10. Beanokelly

Beanokelly
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely mate. I listen while driving it beats some shit on the radio

Ron1892 likes this.
  11. DaveyC

DaveyC
    Expand Collapse

Definitely recommend it. Great stuff on it. Gets me through the day at work. The daily talking reds on you tube is good and free

Ron1892 likes this.
  12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Like the Anfield Wrap, however I got a little bit of LFC overload when I listen to all the shows, so I just listen to the free shows. Enjoy them a lot, but I prefer more general sport podcasts like Second Captains when paying a fee.

13. LayneVedder

LayneVedder
    Expand Collapse

I pay for both TAW and Second Captains, and usually get through everything, I listen to a lot of podcasts as I travel a lot though. If you subscribe, you'll probably find there are certain shows you'll prioritise or avoid for certain times of the year.

14. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

I would also recommend it. Excellent during the season and I would listen to it a lot in the car or when out running. The summer isn't great as others have said but plenty on it. A great interview with Andy Robertson with them just out yesterday.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

They've just put out an interview with the manager.

TAW Special: Jurgen Klopp 30 Minute Exclusive Interview
    https://t.co/zKrsfFZLDv

16. Dfitzpatrick

Dfitzpatrick
    Expand Collapse

Definitley worth it i pick and choose because of the amount of content and what i get to listen to time wise but the US tour interviews with andy robbo and klopp are top class along with all the endless amount of podcasts daily and weekly

17. Carlsburger

Carlsburger
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I pay the £5 per month and it is worth it, especially the reports / discussions directly after matches. I also like the Rider and some the shows about other clubs can be interesting. Don't think you will listen to it all.

I used to listen to loads of podcasts [the Stand, Second Captains, the Guardian, James Richardson, Off the Ball, Redmen TV & LFC Daytrippers, TED Radio, An Irishman Abroad]. Now I only listen to TAW & paper review on OTB.

18. eegorbishcan

eegorbishcan
    Expand Collapse

Might sign up myself, go through phases with the Liverpool podcasts and sometimes the 2 free shows a week are enough but between the Klopp / Robertson interviews and some of the stuff they'll do up to the start of the season I'd say it'll definately a 5er well spent this month, is it easy enough to cancel the subscription when you want to get out of it for a while?

19. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Thanks lad. Signed up last Friday and I am enjoying it so far. Have listened to a couple of shows. Enjoyed the Robbo interview the other day. Hopefully I’ll make use of it.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It's very impressive what they've done.Started out as mates talking about football and are now earning a living from it and creating jobs for others while producing top quality content and entertainment. I wouldn't hold something like that to the same standards as a lot of other things that look for a fiver a month in order to give it,but it reaches those standards anyway.

21. PureKlaas

PureKlaas
    Expand Collapse

I've subscribed for the first time and enjoying it so far. Will wait for the season to see how much it's worth it over just the free episodes. I only listen to podcasts on my commute so usually have a lot on the go but I can see myself listening more and more to this one and dropping others. It's the best LFC related podcast for sure.