This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

tennis

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by up the pool, May 15, 2011.

1. up the pool

up the pool
    Expand Collapse

i dont know if anyone here watches tennis but i just saw nadal and djokovic in the final in rome i think it was and i have to say djokovic is one awsome player he has won every match he has played this year he is some player he must be best in the world now:eek:

2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I was reading last week that he's close to breaking the record that Mc enroe has held for over 20 years for the most consecutive wins from the start of the season.
    It'll be some achievement if he breaks it..

3. up the pool

up the pool
    Expand Collapse

never knew that i saw the match with murray last night and that was a super match i dont know how djokovic came through it and then have the fitness to beat nadal today too on clay which nadal loves

4. Malzheimer

Malzheimer
    Expand Collapse

Anyone watching the tennis today? Two epic games in the mens. Come on Rafa and hope Rodge can pull off a shock (never thought I'd say that sentence). If Djokavic pulls it off he will equal or break the most games run in a row in tennis ever, not sure. I have Rafa at 5/2 to win the open before his quarter, mental Rafa that price on clay considering he has one 5 out of the last 6 French opens. Bookies are clearly scared of Djok.

I would give the lefty not to be in the office today. Beergarden, Kopparberg and the tennis a few of my mates will be enjoying this afternoon:(

Roll on 4 o clock.

5. torrard89

torrard89
    Expand Collapse

What time do the two games start

6. Malzheimer

Malzheimer
    Expand Collapse

11 and 3 I think. Rafa is 1st game, Djok is 2nd I think both on Eurosport.

7. torrard89

torrard89
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for that

8. barrydoherty

barrydoherty
    Expand Collapse

I have Nadal at 2/1 to win the French Open, superb price with the success he has had in the French Open, Murray will be no test for him today.

Nadal 3-0 :)

9. Malzheimer

Malzheimer
    Expand Collapse

Good price indeed, just shows the form of Djok. I think Murray will be a stern test for Rafa. He admitted himself he is not playing well enough to win it this year. Scraped through earlier rounds and the quarters is the first round where we saw something like the old Rafa.

I'm going to go 3-2 Rafa and 3-2 Fed.

10. prendy

prendy
    Expand Collapse

great day's tennis ahead, not often the top 4 seeds and in the world (I think) get to the semi's. Sponsors must be delighted!!!

Nadal in 4 sets and Djokavic to edge Federer.

think Djokavic will win it outright,he's playing unbelievable tennis this season.

11. Malzheimer

Malzheimer
    Expand Collapse

It hasn't happened in ages. For me mens tennis is as exciting as its ever been. Hoping Rodge has one or two more big wins in him.

The bookies would agree with you there on those predictions. You can't even get evens on a Djok, Rafa double today, joke. Them two are in a league of their own at the minute but my heart would love for Rodge to cause an upset today, he will be bang up for it.

12. barrydoherty

barrydoherty
    Expand Collapse

Nadal beat Murray 3-0, Win few quid off that. Hoping for a shock now come on Roger

13. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Absolutely delighted Murray is out.Not that it was ever in any doubt.

14. Malzheimer

Malzheimer
    Expand Collapse

Skyplussed the Djok Fed game and watched it til the early hours this morning with a few cold ones. Boy was it worth it Rodge you are my hero, what a match and a performance.

Some final to look forward to on Sunday now. My heart would love to see Fed do it his first title since '09. However I am heavily invested in Rafa at 5/2 so I will be cheering on the spaniard on Sunday to dominate once again on clay.

15. ecowarrior10

ecowarrior10
    Expand Collapse

Nadal V Federer Roland Garros final 2011

After months of anticipation it all comes down to the Sunday's monumental battle between the two greatest players to ever pick up a tennis racket. All of the hype and talk before this major was about the unbeatable man, Novak Djokovic. The Serbianator was in the form of his life and was on course to finally gain the world number 1 spot. Watching Rafa beating twice in a row on clay was something never seen before so people naturally assumed Novak would go on the claim the number 1 spot here and play The King of Clay in his last stand before losing his ranking. Things were not to go as planned though for him as the old guard stood up to be counted for.

The Return of Fed Ex
    Going into this event Fed was surprisingly confident. For this first time since 2003 he was not the favourite/second favourite for a major, in the past it seemed to bother him being in the shadow of Nadal going into certain events but now he seems to revel in being the slight underdog. The new balls and courts this year make the clay play more like a hard court and before his first round game he expressed his delight in how practicing has gone with the new balls. He took that form right through his games as he sailed through to the semi final without dropping a set. Fed went into the game against Novak with very little pressure on him, he made it clear that Novak was the man in form and the crowd would expect him to win. The added pressure of the streak and world number 1 ranking seemed to burden Novak a little and he started very slowly ad gave himself to much work to do. Take nothing away from Federer though it was the best he has been in years. He served better than I have ever seen and his backhand down the line was absolutely glorious.
    Whether or not he can do the same against Rafa remains to be seen.
    what Fed must do and avoid to beat Nadal
    Must Do: Fed simply has to serve as good as he did yesterday. As good as he has been playing this week he cannot afford to get into long rallies with Rafa, Rafa will do this all day and over the course of a game it wont win it for him. Nadal will plant his feet behind the baseline and wait for errors. Novak couldnt get near his serve and if he does the same against Nadal he can certainly win. He needs to get his forehand into play early and get Nadal on the run. If he can get his backhand going again he really has a huge chance here. He has been really aggressive as of late and any short ball Nadal gives him he needs to step right into court and hit winners. As long as he deals with the spin and can get a decent winners/unforced errors ratio he should be very successful.
    Avoid :He has to avoid letting Nadal run around the ball and whacking it down to his backhand. Its ALOT harder having a good single handed backhand against Nadal because the ball swerves all over the place. He mis hits the ball on that wing so often against Nadal because of this. Especially when Nadal hits it deep to that side. He has never learned to deal with it. Also when he does use the backhand it often goes very short, once this happens its over Nadal will hop all over it and dominate the point until fed cant keep it in play. He needs to end points on his own serve ASAP. Nadal is the best front runner int he game so if Nadal breaks early he is in trouble

He has lost to Nadal 4 times here so mentality he has to be ready aswell. 2005, 2006,2007,2008. The last time was in 2008 and Nadal killed him 6-1 6-3 6-0. He needs to get on the board quickly and get settled. The court will certainly be on side thats for sure.

The king of Clay
    By his own standards he has struggled a little on the clay this year. He has only twice but both is the most amazing person ever in straight sets were as clear cut as it gets when dealing with Nadal. Out fought and out played is a thing that has never been seen before on the clay but being the true great and warrior that he is Nadal has learned that great Roger Federer trick of peaking late in Majors when it really matters. The is the most amazing person ever in Madrid and Monte Carlo seemed to have upset Nadal's mind going into this event and with the new conditions he was on the brink of going out in the first round. Nadal managed to hang on though and has gradually improved with each match. Nadal has changed his racket since the Lljubic match and since then he has not looked back. He battered Soderling into submission and outplayed Andy Murray in large spells of their match. He seems to have the swagger back now which only bodes well for him. Nadal badly wants his 10th major here and he will tie Borg's record of 6th titles here of he wins

There isnt alot to say on Nadal and his gameplan going into this game. He will do as he always does against Federer. He will serve into Feds backhand wing 80% of the time and open up the court for his forehand winners. He will slice the ball back into play whenever possible on feds serve and draw him into long rallies. His gameplan is simply but hard to stop

COME ON RAFA !!!!!!!! 10TH MAJOR IS CALLING FOR YOU !

16. gowinit6times

gowinit6times
    Expand Collapse

Can't wait for this. These 2 greats rarely disappoint, I think Federer needs to win the first set to have a chance of beating Rafa on clay. However Federer has almost sneaked into the final unnoticed and if he wins this it could go down as his greatest ever triumph. Still its hard to look past Nadal over 5 sets on clay.

17. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

I like a good game of Tennis and Federer Nadal is class, but is it just me or do they play every day? Getting like the old firm at this stage...

18. Malzheimer

Malzheimer
    Expand Collapse

Today was the first time they met since Jan '09 in a major.

Nadal is an absolute hero, what a performance and thank you betfair for 5/2 on Nadal on clay with 8 players left, crazy. Having a skinful on Rafa tonight.

Good to see Fed back in finals too, mightn't be a bad shout for Wimbledon, he won't be 20-1 for that like he was the French anyway.

19. Malzheimer

Malzheimer
    Expand Collapse

Wimbledon will have an Irishman in the first round proper, nice one.

Ireland’s Conor Niland was tonight celebrating reaching the main draw of Wimbledon after a straight-sets win in his final qualifying-round match.

The 29-year-old Limerick player beat Croatian Nikola Mektic 6-3 7-6 (7/5) 6-4 to qualify for a grand slam for the first time in his career.

Niland is ranked 184th in the world and won four matches to complete his qualifying success, making him the first Irishman this century to earn a place in the tournament.

Niland’s success is made all the more remarkable by the fact he saved four match points in the first round of qualifying, before overcoming Josselin Ouanna of France 8-6 in the deciding set.

“It felt like it was my destiny to qualify after that win really,” Niland said.

“I was a set down in the second round too.

“I’ve always wanted to be part of the biggest tournaments in tennis and it’s great to be here at Wimbledon now.”

The match against Mektic was scheduled for Thursday but rained off, and then the players managed only six games yesterday, with Niland moving 4-2 ahead in the opening set.

With downpours affecting London again today, the match continued to be stop-start, but Niland did enough to fend off world number 274 Mektic.

“I came out and played good tennis after each of the breaks,” he said. “Rather than hang around the locker rooms, which were really busy, I went upstairs to get some quiet each time we came off.

“It’s the fourth year I’ve tried to qualify and I’d lost in the first round each time before this. I played pretty well each time but just missed out against some very good players.

“But I always felt I could play decently here and now I’m delighted, it’s made it all worth it.

“Of all the grand slams to qualify for this would have been top of my list.”

Niland expects a large contingent of friends and family to travel over from Ireland for his first-round match.

As yet he does not know his opponent but he said: “I don’t mind who I play. I won’t be too picky.

“I know I’m good enough to win matches in grand slams. I’ve beaten players in the top 100 before so I can do it again.”

I will be re-investing on Rafa at 9/4 anyway for Wimbledon even if the bookies seem to fancy Federrer

20. up the pool

up the pool
    Expand Collapse

congrats to conor niland it'll be interesting to see who he is drawn against best of luck to him anyway tis great to see:)