This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Social Distancing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Joedared, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

I wanted to start a thread on this matter as I thought it may clog up the Corona thread.

So anyone any views on social distancing?
    How long may it last?
    Will events be able to take place?
    Relationships. How can they manage with social distancing?
    How can contact sports continue with social distancing?
    Football? Rugby? GAA?
    What sports can take place?
    Cricket, snooker,golf,rowing.

If the government is recommending no licences for public events over 5000, does that mean pubs will be able to open again?.

2. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

I have to say our house is awful for kids getting chest infections, colds, flu, vomiting bug etc. My youngest lad is 6 and was unwell as a new born and his immune system is quite bad. He's constantly missing school and has an awful time with been sick. Since he's been out of school and basically stuck at home our house has seen no illness at allthankfully. But would I stop him playing on his football team or playing with friends in the school yard? No is the answer. Who knows what the long term impact of social distancing will be and how much of the practices we are doing now will stay with us...

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Key thing for me is antibody testing and some form of confirmation that you can’t get the disease twice and ultimately a vaccine. Until then we are going to see social distancing for sure and limits on crowds.

Hopefully once it’s confirmed that once have it once, it can’t come back, there will be an opt in free system to get a test to check if had it. I’d say a lot of people have had it and never knew, especially young people.

A vaccine will be found before the end of the year, problem i see is that opportunists and politics will play a role. Whoever comes up with it will potentially go down in history as saving the modern world. I hope America don’t find it as you know Trump would use it somehow in his campaign. Would be unbearable if he was somehow able to take the credit.

Also think companies where WFH is now in place and working well will change their office strategies and ultimately will benefit society. Less commutting for work and less business air travel will help the environment however if I owned commercial office property I would be worried as the office space will become cheaper. A lot of companies are seeing an increase in productivity. People are not spending 2-3 hours in their cars, trains and planes and you can get a better work life balance as people are not working 9-5. Can also see an impact on likes of crèches. A lot of couples who are both working from home are balancing their hours mind the kids and questioning if really need to pay 1000s in childcare each month. I know we Definitely won’t be going back to full time crèche.

One thing that could become a thing of the past is the simple handshake.

4. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Personally wouldn't be touching a rushed vaccine but I can understand why others would.

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I don't think a vaccine will be ready in anywhere near that timeline and I'm not sure what kind of % of people would sign up for one that was created on such a short timescale. I've read some interesting comments from a professor in Hong Kong who basically thinks this is here to stay and that this current phase is just a system to slow the spread in the hope that you keep your hospitals from becoming bogged down with cases. The WHO have come out and said there's no confirmation that having antibodies in your system protects you from this virus, I guess it will take a few waves of this virus coming before you'd know more about it, sadly I think healthcare workers are going to be the ones that will face this reality first as they're going to have to recover and jump back on the front line again.

Think you're spot on about WFH though Gary. This will be here long enough that habits will be changed for good. I'm not sure you'll ever get to a point that people are happy squeezing onto busses and trains again. My company fought WFH with everything they had with systems locked down so they only worked when you were physically in the office but everyone is now working from home and after an initial lull because nobody knew how to get things done we're now nearly at full capacity again.

Just to go one further on this it could bring a fundamental change in housing too, if I could work from home 4 days a week I'd have no issue with a much longer commute and maybe people will look at completely remote working and then they're not even bound by country borders. Satellite shared office space could become big business in regional towns.

6. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

I agree to a degree but we've all built up relationships with people we work with in the office already so easier to engage and continue. Much harder if start from scratch to do so. I work closely with team in Zurich and took while and trips to meet in person to get used to people. But I'll be certainly looking at WFH once a week as normal I think going forward.

Also think more broadly the last week likely sees not required decrease in cases closer to 5 May and therefore a continuation before gradual reopening shops, golf courses etc mid-May to June.

No contact sports until Sep I'd guess.

Be surprised if vaccine in place this year so think just have get slowly back to some level of normality. Probably be better uptake if takes little longer anyway.

7. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

So is football a contact sport?
    In my view it is.
    So no resumption of premiership in sight at all.
    Even behind closed doors.
    It puts players and their families at risk.

8. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I don’t think there will be a mass vaccine this year for general public but think they will be well advanced in getting one and it will be politics and money that will decide how it eventually gets distributed.

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

When a vaccine emerges it's in every countries interest to spread it far and wide and as quickly as possible.

10. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

If there’s a vaccine. To date there’s no vaccine for HIV.

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely in every countries interests Mick but politicians don't always see that bigger picture. Trump for instance might want the America first angle to keep his campaign going strong. Johnson too could do with a very pro UK story coming out of this. I'd hope whoever discovers it just opens it up universally and every pharma company can just roll it out but I'd be surprised if it's that simple. You might end up with different countries promoting their own drug over others regardless of the scientific evidence because people will always be people.

12. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Its going to be interesting how airlines will get past the social distancing going forward. Can't see how removing the middle seat is going to make a whole lot of difference. Face masks will become mandatory and you probably won't be allowed enter the airport without wearing one. Will temperature be checked before boarding Queues at security will have to be limited also Can see some being put off flying altogether if the country you're flying to has a 2 week quarantine period on arrival. Obviously not all that important in the greater scheme of things but in the next year or 2 can only see people traveling for essential purposes.

13. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Was only thinking the other day, what are the things that will become the norm.
    I'm in Poland at the moment and face masks are mandatory once you leave your house although you can take them off in forests.
    Restrictions on the amount of people in shops has been eased but sanitiser and gloves are at shop entrances.
    People working at supermarket checkouts are protected by plastic screens.
    I think all of the above will be very long term.
    Was thinking if face masks became the norm everywhere would we be watching tv and movies in the future with all the actors/characters wearing them outside too. :)

14. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Nobody is really wearing masks here in public. Take the daughter for a 15 minute walk around the block most days in buggy and probably seen 3 people in all that time with a mask on here.

15. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Plenty wearing them in supermarkets. I guess that coz theres a greater amount of people there

16. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Mad that every country has it's own solution to the same problem.
    We've had restaurants doing deliveries and take aways here the whole time. Doing a lot of business too. Surprised to hear they were completely shut in Ireland.
    Plenty of yanks were stuck here at the start of the lockdown. Some of them were dreading going home though when they saw the lack of restrictions in the US.

17. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

There are plenty of restaurants doing delivery as well as call and collect. I'm not sure what gave you the impression that they are all shut

18. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I read that Supermacs was going to open soon for delivery/take away and that other restaurants had reopened recently.
    Also saw a comment on FB a while back about all the fast food/ take away restaurants being shut.
    I got the impression they had all been closed for some time.

19. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Disgraceful amounts of kids and teenagers out their parents really ought to be fined.

Garrett likes this.
  20. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Supermacs has been closed alright but is reopening shortly for drive through as far as I know. I don't bother with food deliveries myself but plenty of restaurants have kept going throughout. Some pubs are even offering take away carveries. Anything they can do to for their business to survive I suppose. They'll be the last to open their doors when some sort of normality is restored.

vodkacolly likes this.