This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

So What's Wrong at the moment...?

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Dub13, Feb 13, 2021.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think you're allowed 5 teams if a team outside the top 4 win the Europa, but if a team outside the top 4 wins the CL,4th place loses out. I'm not certain of that though.

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

This is a load of bollox in fairness Mick, when I got to panicking in December you swore blind that things would turn and all would work out fine and I'll be damned if I'm going to let you fall into the pit now so get some rose tinted glasses back on and post something more positive about everything being fine, the delicate microchemistry of this site hangs in the balance here!

babbsnads likes this.
  3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Didn't I save you 2 months of extra panicking though?

edcarroll02 likes this.
  4. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Naby can get a ticket and get in line because that's Joel's mantle

Shane_90 likes this.
  5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

That is probably true but the trust issues that will come out of this might not become apparent until many years down the line.

babbsnads likes this.
  6. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

I think 5 can qualify and 4th spot will only l lose out if an English team outside the top 4 wins the Europa league and champions league to add to the top 3
    1 million % certain that’s the case though could still be proven wrong :)

thenewguy and babbsnads like this.
  7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Yeah we would need Arsenal or Spurs to win the Europa and be outside top four. Maybe even United as if the Ev got 4th they might need them to slip or Fernandes to get an injury. I think Tuchel will get Chelsea there and Leicester look good for it.

8. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

I think utds next 3 games will tell an awful lot away to Chelsea,palace and city
    Not beyond the realms that they get little or nothing out of them and then it’s anyones
    Plenty of points left to be dropped by a lot of teams still to play each other at the top we just need to string a few wins together and we will be fine

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Jaysus that's very unusual to have 3 away league games in a row.

thenewguy likes this.
  10. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Pace and intensity completely gone out of the team. The team was coming to an end of its lifespan anyway as we knew it but in normal circumstances it had another massive season in it this year with lads still at their peak. We obviously have some great players but Jurgen also had us playing as more than the sum of our parts and this has come crashing down spectacularly

Anyway can't complain after 5 great years

Do people prefer losing on a Saturday or a Sunday as a fan? I was very much in the Sunday camp when we first went to shit so it wouldn't ruin the weekend but now I'm getting over it faster, so like to get the defeat out of the way on a Saturday. Sunday evening next week will be a bit of a chore

11. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I have to be honest, it's a good while now since a bad Liverpool result ruined my day/night/weekend, it's very meh the last year or so, like it doesn't count.
    Atletico Madrid was probably the last time

Beano87 likes this.
  12. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't bother me so much anymore but I used to hate losing on a Sunday.
    Saturday's shenanigans were forgotten about and would have to get an earful from the variety of other clubs fans in work the next day.
    Losing on a Saturday was eased by a good session that evening and whatever hijinks happened on Sunday.

13. Beano87

Beano87
    Expand Collapse

As well as all the above points, I think the lack of the fans at anfield also plays a huge part on our results, i know its the same for all teams but anfield is different. Last 6 home games, losing 4 and drawing 2, with only 2 goals scored is unheard of, especially for this team.

14. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Is it only

It counts alright, still for me. Lucky you.

15. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I remember a while back after the spurs game I watched the post match pint and one of the lads said he was on the kop and obviously the 2k or so fans were bouncing when Bobby scored but other than that it was shite, can only imagine how the players must feel.

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Is there any similarity with what the current Liverpool team is going through and what happened with Dortmund in his last seasons at Dortmund? I seem to recall some fairly dramatic collapses for extended periods of time but wasn't following it closely enough to be able to draw any comparisons.

I wonder if it's something to do with pushing the players to such physical and mental peaks for extended periods of times inevitably leads to an eventual crash and when you have a gameplan that is built around high octane energy you simply cannot afford to have a drop off in that intensity or everything comes crumbling down.

Interested to hear others thoughts on this, it might just be a total coincidence but the scale of the collapse just seems impossible to fathom on it's own, we still have a better 11 players on the pitch than most teams so all else aside we should be winning a lot of our matches.

17. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Some strange dynamic at play as they still turned in good performances away from home. Aside from Leicester game which they played well in for 75 minutes the away form has been very good.

Think it’s more mental than physical at home, it like that runner who trains for a marathon over a year, gets a personal best and might be that initial buzz to go again but mentally they need a break. These lads have been going flat out together for 3-4 years.

I am at peace with it, incredible improvement from 15-16 to 19-20, every year better and better. Nothing lasts forever.

pam, Sib and mushypea like this.
  18. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

The injuries, the mental drain, lack of pre season, lack of fans, untimely death (lord rest them), poor form it is essentially the inverse of the perfect storm we have stumbled across last season, the imperfect storm if you will.

Management have a bit to answer for here as much as players, and not its not the typical knee jerk reaction and I am not looking for a change of management or anything remotely similar to it, but they aren't above crititicsim. The areas of concern for me are the reluctance to get Mane off Robbos wing, it's not working, both lads are desperately out of form and running on empty. While it is defensively sound it is a glaring weakness attacking wise. Salah being isolated out right when we are in dier need of him being the talisman is frustrating. I don't hold all the answers on the imbalance if they switch wings or we go 2 up top, but in saying that I'm not on 7million a year to have the answers.

The other one I am not understanding a all is the insistance on the high line, bare with me this isn't a Carragher like assault on something glaringly obvious but last night. We have a high line to squeeze Chelsea but the clear tactic is to go over the top, as is theirs. What purpose does a high line offer for us if we are not employing the relentless press. The line is to suffocate the opposition and we aren't trying to do that because we don't have the energy levels. We are employing the tatics of last season with inferior personnel. It's foolish and alarming. Tuchel picks Werner sees it and exploits it. Chelsea were very similar to us last night except they had pace over the top. They like us had excellent build ups and passages but when they launched it Werner was a threat when we launched it they had 3 centre halves and no pace through the middle. We were out thought last night.

I am drained, they are drained, you are drained. Go win the champions league and give us a break in the summer.

No one is enjoying this, Chelsea are a a challenge to the top 2 next year if Werner clicks or they buy a striker.

The league is gone, top 4 is gone, when you accept that reality the downers get easier and ye don't get sucked in by the falls dawns.

GaryMc and Liverpool-law like this.
  19. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

My sports tv subscription ends next week and I am totally ok with that. I have had enough hours of sickening football matches for this season, could do with the break, like the players and management.

Shane_90 likes this.
  20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Get yourself fit and ready for next season, it's been a long few seasons!

Liverpool-law likes this.