This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Shankly: Nature’s Fire

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by LKDAVE, Feb 24, 2016.

1. LKDAVE

LKDAVE
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I think we are in for a treat with this

2. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Niall likes this.
  3. LKDAVE

LKDAVE
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

The Cradle of Football, my @BBCRadioScot documentary about Bill Shankly's long lost birthplace, airs Sunday, 9.30am.

Niall likes this.
  4. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Going to give this a listen later tonight.

5. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Gie me ae spark o' Nature's fire,
    That's a' the learning I desire.
    ROBERT BURNS

6. LKDAVE

LKDAVE
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Attended the Shankly's greatest XI in the Shankly Hotel last Thursday evening, tickets were priced at general admission £55 and meet and greet £85,I did attempt to purchase the meet and greet but they sold out fast. Stayed in the hotel which was handy for the evening ahead.

Kicking off at 6.30 or so the meet and greet people met the players who were voted by the hotel to be Shanklys greatest XI
    Lawrence, Lawler, Stevenson, Smith, Yeats, Hughes, Keegan, Callaghan, Hunt, Hall, Heighway in a separate room before we were all invited into the rooftop restaurant in the hotel, excellent views of the city.

There was loads of memorabilia for auction on the night - both LFC and other sports for various charities, these were really aimed at the 'business' people or businesses in the crowd - some of the prices being paid was ridiculous - e.g. a evening meal with 8 Great British Sporting stars going for £1,800 (no names were mentioned - GB Water Polo team and back room staff it is) other packages included a signed O'Driscoll jersey and two tickets for a rugger match in Dublin - going for over £2000 but the drink was in and the dosh flowed. Happy days for the charities.

The team were invited in, with some exceptions sadly, obviously Brian Hall and Emlyn Hughes, Tommy Smith did appear for the meet and greet but no Roger Hunt or Steve Heighway - Hunt was someone I really wanted to meet/get a picture with. Will nab him at Anfield some day when not in a rush to get a flight home.

Kevin Keegan was his usual self, he stood up and did a presentation on his playing days and management career, sadly he mostly poked fun at himself for his failure in later life instead of concentrating on his football career, which of course was outstanding. But he's a good speaker and I imagine people want the humour - I'm sure he does plenty of after dinner speaking, so good luck to him.

Roy Evans did most of the introducing of the players and gave good insight into each player, plenty of chanting for St John who is looking more like his old self after recent illness. Ron Yeats doesn't look too well but the rest are in good enough health happily.

The players didn't hang around for pictures or signatures with one notable exception - Mighty Mouse himself - in fairness I'm sure it was too much for some to expect them to be around after 11pm, but Keegan would still be there now if given the chance, a top man, had time for everyone and managed to get that picture with a Liverpool legend and a few words about his holiday in Donegal last summer :)

Overall the event was a bit scatty with probably more in the room than there should have been, but the food was great and the booze flowed and to breathe the same air as these guys made it a priceless evening for me anyway. There won't be many more of them.

7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Colm75 and redabbey like this.
  8. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

9. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

redabbey and babbsnads like this.
  10. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Really looking forward to this, great clip from the programme http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05lk7gk

For those that don't have Sky, I'd fully expect it will be networked on BBC4 shortly.

11. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Bump for anyone who is not aware this documentary is on BBC2 Scotland at 9pm tonight.

12. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Have it on now, grown men and robots is very odd.

13. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Well that was the best 90 mins involving LFC that I've seen in a long time.
    Great words from Dennis law, "he thought me everything in football."
    Gates closed at 5:15 the night of the inter Milan game, must've been some night.

Colm75 and redabbey like this.
  14. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Fantastic footage, I've probably seen the tackle on Gerry Byrne, before but I could not remember it. Unbelievable to think that there were no subs allowed in the game in 1965.

If I ever get the chance I'd love to see John Keith's show on Shanks, his one on Bob was brilliant because unlike the modern ex-players gig's all the focus was on the manager.

That imaginary 5-aside team of the brothers would be unstoppable. Have also loved so many of the pics of Bill in his playing career at Preston where he always reminded me because of his hairstyle of the actor Jimmy Cagney.

15. mousey

mousey
    Expand Collapse

Super documentary. Watching how emotional some past players got speaking about him. That speech he gave after the 71 cup final was amazing.

Pity you can't record on BBC Scotland, would love to watch again over Xmas.

16. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll be absolutely amazed if this does not get networked across all of BBC, most probably on BBC 4 and yes, I too would love to record it as well.

mousey likes this.
  17. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Why could you not record it, is it a sky box thing or something?
    It's not something I normally do but I reckon I would've been able to record it on my satellite receiver.

18. mousey

mousey
    Expand Collapse

I cannot record on any channels I have manually added myself through 'other channels' on the sky box. I assumed this was the case for everyone.. maybe not?

19. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Sure no one pays for Sky on here!

mousey likes this.
  20. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I've never had a sky box, I can record any channel on my receiver.