This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

running thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SUPERFAN, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Were does Superman & ET fit in...?

2. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

That'd the last thing you need to be doing with a football team. Keep it specific to the game, when do you ever jog continuously for 4.9k in a game?

3. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

we play football 2 other nights a week and some of the lads already do the 5k run so some others wanted to do it as well so i made it a weekly thing from tonight for the next 4 weeks until our evening games come in

4. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Superman is for when you're at home trying to motivate yourself out the door, he came from krypton to save us, what more inspiration can we mortals need.

5. kop75

kop75
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone used that place in bray that checks your gait posture running style etc? Thinking of retrying to run again but hoping a place like this might be able to help with the pains I get in hip back n knees after a few k was a daily runner maybe 6-7 years ago but due to pain I quit. Still play footy though so hoping I'm not too unfit.

6. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Never used that place but I did use the gait analysis service in runways in parnell street.
    You should look in to using those minimalist running shoes,I had problems with hip and lower back pain for years but since I switched to minimalist shoes I've had no problems.

Ran that race in malahide last night,jaysus me legs were like jelly after it.the cycle home was tough.:eek:

7. kop75

kop75
    Expand Collapse

By minimalist you mean like flat trainers with no support arches etc ? I do recall one of the Irish runners a few years ago endorsing those

8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

The ones I got have some support but very little,the lad in the shop recommend I go with them for 6 months before going to totally flat if I want to.
    The shoes I have are called saucony kinvara.

9. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

I'm not saying 4 weeks of it would do any harm but I personally would do something more game specific. But if you are getting everyone out and they are enjoying it together then why not.

10. STEVE1978

STEVE1978
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Done just over 5k today, sub 30 mins. That mightnt sound too hot to all the Usain Bolts on here, but fook me im delighted with it!

11. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done Hego

12. STEVE1978

STEVE1978
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Cheers Ger. im tinkin of changin the route, its a 5k route but a major hill included in it, which is a killer.
    Anyone any suggestions?

13. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

That's great going for starting out Steve.A mate of mine was delighted when he ran under an hour for 10 k a few years ago,he's ran the Dublin marathon twice since then.

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Don't know how close you are to the phoenix park but the main road in it is 8k down and back.fcukin gift,I use it all the time for my runs.

15. STEVE1978

STEVE1978
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Im quiet close to it Willie, and have done chesterfield ave a few times. I just find it too straight and borin, and then ur comin bak on urself on the way bak up.

The reason i was doin the Operation Trnsformation 5k was its more like a course and not too borin.
    Maybe wen i get to the chapelizod gate, i could just turn bak and continue til i reach the 5k point.

16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I run it all the time and I honestly never get bored with it,the thing I like about it is the km markers all along the road.

17. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Just seeing this post now,fair play con,I'd be up for this if there was enough interest for it to go ahead.

18. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I took your advice and for the last week or so I have been doing it.I was getting board doing my 5k & 10k runs and wanted to mix it up,this is what I am doing now.

Times in miles.

5 min warm up @ 6.5

2 min @ 6.5
    1 min @ 10.0

2 min @ 6.5
    1 min @ 10.0

2 min @ 6.5
    1 min @ 10.0

2 min @ 6.5
    1 min @ 10.0

2 min @ 6.5
    1 min @ 10.0

2 min @ 6.5
    1 min @ 10.0

2 min @ 6.5
    1 min @ 10.0

2 min @ 6.5
    1 min @ 10.0

5 min cool down.

I run on average 35k/40km per week and it was just becoming mundane and I was not feeling as much pain after as I should,the body must have just gotten used to it.But after a HIIT session I can really feel it,I do a little on a cross trainer,bike and sometimes rowing after but not to much its the running that takes it out of me.

At the start I was doing 3 min breaks and sprinting was only 9 miles an hour but it was not hard enough so I jumped up a level.Cheers for the heads up.

19. Con

Con
    Expand Collapse

You'll be amazed how quick you will see the improvements. But even at the minute that is some going in mph! Mixing the sessions up is key.

20. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Did a 10k below 50 min midweek, was chuffed with myself as I got there a month ahead of schedule, then really struggled to do an 8k today, had a few days of eating a bit to access and a bottle of wine last night, so bound to have had an affect as I was panting after 4k today.