This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

running thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SUPERFAN, Mar 14, 2013.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Completed it today......or thought I had. Put up a tweet and all because I was proud of myself. Only Id miscounted hadn't I? Was only on 99km. So had to get the treadmill back out and do the last one. The missus isn't happy with the extra washing but job done. Hopefully keep going now.

2. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Good man babbs. You should be proud. Keep her lit

babbsnads likes this.
  3. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

I started running during the 1st lockdown. Couldnt run for 1km without stopping but kept with it and kept improving all the time. Running got me through the lockdowns. Every day I was running and if I missed a day I would feel guilty.

Its the best thing I ever done and I love going for a run now. More the feeling after but sometimes during a run I just switch off and totally relax.

Not running as often now that I am back working but trying to get a few 5K runs in per week just to do something.

I hope you keep it up. I think the hardest part is starting it. Well done

Dub13, Joedared and babbsnads like this.
  4. maloneavic

maloneavic
    Expand Collapse

With running I think the hardest part is defo starting and along with doing to much to soon n then injuries.

Tunes and the right gear for me is crucial. Even a shit playlist can affect me .

Never a fan of them gels you take n I heard awful stories of ppl who took them.

Got a light jogging belt n I stuff it with jellies on long runs n it's brilliant.

One of the lads actually started cycling n says it strengthens your legs n makes you a better jogger.
    Every so often I think about doing a ironman or a half even but the time to train for it I'm not sure I could get and their very pricey to . Think it's well over 500 euro for a full one.

babbsnads, STEVE1978 and GaryMc like this.
  5. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Definitely can get very expensive. I've a Carbon bike. Light as a feather and addictive.

Enjoying my 5k runs every second day. Was great to be out running on the beach when in Wexford last week.

@babbsnads Fair play. Keep it going. Its tough starting off but you can't beat the feeling when you finish.

babbsnads likes this.
  6. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Would 100% agree with the running during lockdown. I would have played Astro twice a week for years and a few k a month running if I had a race or something to aim for. With no Astro, running was what got me out of the 3-4 times a week. Agree with John above, get right gear so you are comfortable, good pod casts or playlists and you just switch off. Out of nowhere last week I got a PB for 5k and 10k in the one run. My mind was wandering as I had second vaccine a few days prior and was thinking about all the plans for the rest of the year. Usually I’d be clocking the split times thinking I’d be going too fast etc.

Dub13, babbsnads and mushypea like this.
  7. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Fair play babbs, it's great for the head space alright. Some people say they struggle with anxiety but I don't, anxiety comes quite naturally to me ;)

babbsnads likes this.
  8. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Parkrun is back on September 11th. I cant wait love a parkrun

GaryMc, diceyreilly and Niall like this.
  9. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

i am absolutely over the moon with this. Was supposed to do my 100th one in Cairns Australia in March 2020. River Valley September 2021 will do just nicely. Been waiting for this news for ages.

10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

What time they usually on in St Anne’s ?

11. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Are they not 9.30 nearly everywhere here ?

12. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

9:30 am they all start at. They are really good and St Anne's is one of the best around and gets good numbers. Just register for free and get a barcode and off you go.

GaryMc likes this.
  13. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I've probably a better chance of winning the lotto tomorrow but I just entered the ballot for next year's London marathon, applications close tonight.

GaryMc and diceyreilly like this.
  14. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I am in as well. But I just registered for the Manchester one.