This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

running thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SUPERFAN, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

megager likes this.
  2. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Legs still a bit sore after Saturday.
    Have kept it going this week, logged 65 km this week and 19 km last Sunday. But it has been probably my toughest week so far. Plan a long run (what ever coach Dub13 demands) this weekend then will wind it back a bit

Have been averaging about 90km a week so hopefully I'll have a bit more in tank than I did in cork.

Dub13 likes this.
  3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Did you do 19 km the day after the HM?
    Jaysus that's a lot, not surprised your legs are sore. :eek:

4. mousey

mousey
    Expand Collapse

I use Garmin Connect. Is there much difference? Is it possible to pair your device to two apps?

5. mousey

mousey
    Expand Collapse

It's pretty small.. handy for 8-10 miles maybe.. I have a bigger hand bottle that I have from training two years ago. Like yourself, I run out last few miles of my longer runs..

6. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

You can link your Garmin Connect to Strava, so any runs you up load to Garmin go straight across. I prefer Strava.

7. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I did yeah, but at a very easy pace. But legs have not recovered fully, so was a mistake. Intention was to do 10 easy miles (16km) but went a bit further.

How is your training going?

8. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Ah sure we all do that, the fact you were able to do that much the day after means you must be in good shape, I did nothing till Tuesday. :)
    Training is going well, did a 5 miler today and ran it 15 secs faster than 2 weeks ago on the same course, will do another 1 in 2 weeks time and then taper, hopefully go a little quicker again.
    17 miles tomorrow, luvly.

megager likes this.
  9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Did my second sprint triathlon yesterday down in Youghal, miserable bloody day for it but went really well. It was a 6k run at the end with two laps of 3k and my ankles are aching after the first lap but just kept pushing with the arms as the legs were totally gassed by that point after the cycle. Came in just under 5 mins per K which I was happy enough with. Need to work on the run side of things a lot over the winter and try get my injuries sorted out.

Dub13 likes this.
  10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

The gym I'm in do a triathlon every year and every year when that time of year comes around and I see them setting up for it I always say I'd love to do that. This year's event was on yesterday, defo going to do it next year. Nothing major, 750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run.

11. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Longest run done and dusted on this marathon plan, 22 miles with @megager and a few lads from the club over the hill of Howth this morning. We train a lot over the hill and you just cant beat it. We will do a flat fast 20 next Sunday morning and then taper.

megager likes this.
  12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

You should definitely go for it, they're great crack on the day. The different events really adds a new dimension to the whole thing. Being a good cyclist trumps everything in that game.

13. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I'm cycling all me life so don't think I'd have a problem there, would need to get a decent bike though, not sure if I'd go to that expense just for 1 event.
    If I ask nicely the gym might sort me a loan of one. ;)

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's great if you've a few friends that are into the different events, you get a great race where you've a swimmer trying to get a big enough lead to try and stay ahead of a cyclist or runner. 9/10 times the cyclist will come in. They're over for the winter now so can ease off on the cardio and get back to some weight and movement based training.

15. kaiser_del

kaiser_del
    Expand Collapse

Did my first 18 miles yesterday. God the last 2/3 miles were tough. My groins were killing. Have always had sore groins playing football over the years. Normally in pre-season then they get stronger and are fine. Suppose because i'm running distances i've never run before they will get sore.

Dub13, megager, Niall and 1 other person like this.
  16. megager

megager
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Fair play. I often think we are mad, getting up early to run crazy distances in all sorts of inclement weather conditions when most normal people are asleep. But enjoy it. When you cross the line and realise the scale of your achievement it's worth all the pain and miles.

17. kaiser_del

kaiser_del
    Expand Collapse

That's whats driving me on mate through the pain. Trying to foam roll my groins, fairly awkward to do!! Normal stretching doesn't help enough.

Was in the Phoenix park at 8:30 Sunday morning. Normally the missus and myself take turns at the weekends for lie-ins as we've 2 kids. Haven't had a proper lie in for months with the running!!

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Was in there meself at that time, were you near the polo grounds at any stage?
    Try soaking in (waist high) cold water for 20 mins, as cold as you can take. great for sore/tired legs, might help with your groin issue.

19. kaiser_del

kaiser_del
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tip mate.

I did the route for the Frank Duffy 10 mile a couple of times. Had a look at some clips of foam rolling abductors last night, has actually loosened it up so ill try that again.

SUPERFAN likes this.
  20. Daz

Daz
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Struggling to nail down a planned marathon target / pace. How did you lads decide a target for your first .?