This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Rugby Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ajeffares, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Decent win for Munster tonight although Gloucester were awful

2. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

I think a big part of Gloucester looking poor was the quality of Munster's defence. The try that Gloucester scored 10 mins into the second half took 35 phases, back and forth. 4 penalties and 10 minutes trying to get over the try line. Munster scored most of their tries in a couple of seconds once they were in Gloucester's 22.

A very good win for Munster. Neutrals will put them down as contenders for the title now.

Munster will depend on Edinburgh not winning 1 of their 2 remaining games, for Munster to finish ahead of them in pool winners and secure a home quarter final.

redabbey likes this.
  3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It shouldn't only be neutrals considering them as contenders now, they are 100% contenders. I can't think of many that would fancy a trip to Thomand with them in this kind of form and if their away form is steadying they'll be a very tough draw for anyone.

Gloucester were dreadful in defence but that's not Munsters fault, the English teams really are quite dreadful at the moment with the possible exclusion of Sarries.

I'm still furious about Carberry being moved west, he was already the finished article and clearly a much higher ceiling than Ross Byrne, no idea why or how Leinster let it happen. Looking at Tadgh Beirne too would leave you with questions but he at least wasn't really performing when Leinster let him go and his spell in Wales was the making of him.

Leinster could well suffer a home loss today, we're hoping that Toulose revert to the old French teams not travelling well mantra because we're without too many of our top players for a game of this magnitude. It won't be easy for Toulouse still but at +9 with the bookies i i think that looks a banker (I'm a horrificly poor gambler mind).

4. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

As a Munster fan I see us as a contender too, but I suppose I do that each year! Mainly based on seeing us beat everyone and anyone at home. A home quarter will be a big difference, rather than having to play someone like Racing or Saracens (or Leinster!) away. It's likely we will be either home or away to Pot 5 (Edinburgh or Montpellier) imo.

I think RTE will have to release breaking news that Carberry is now the sports player of the year, and not Johnny Sexton! ;)

Maybe it's because I'm a Munster fan, but I can only see a Leinster win today. At home to Toulouse in a crucial game. Leinster have proved how good they are after winning both Europe and Pro14 last season.

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

They did indeed but at the very top level in these tests you need to have your generals on the field, Henshaw, Toner, Leave, Kearney and McGrath all out injured is a massive loss to any team, then losing one of the best No.10's in the world on top of that is nearly impossible to compensate for. Leinster can only win this game up front, if we kick aimlessly to their back 3 we'll be shredded so I exoevt to see us going hard up front and trying to grind them down. A popular theory is that Toulouse have about 60 minutes in them but I think that's leinster fans being a bit overly optimistic.

Carberry has been a breath of fresh air to Munster but still a long way to go, he's played very nicely behind a pack gojbv forward with things going well but he's going to have tougher days and managing them games is where Sexton and O'Gara and players of that ilk really stand out. I think he'll get there for sure, hopefully when he comes home to Leinster :D

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Again I don't know if leinster we're very good or Toulouse just very poor, hardly matters either way I suppose. Irish teams looking likely to go very deep in this, I nearly expect one of them to win it

7. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Leinster defending was immense today apart from the last minute try.

2 big displays so far from the Irish provinces along with Ulster currently beating Racing at the moment

8. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Big win for Ulster. Munster and Leinster may get home quarter finals now.

9. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

A big win for Ulster. All 3 teams should qualify now. After Edinburgh winning in France away to Toulon, it looks like Munster could have an away quarter in Edinburgh.

10. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

11. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Claims of racist shouts from the Ulster fans

12. xRedmanLFCx

xRedmanLFCx
    Expand Collapse

Knowing Zebo, who apologised on the pitch and on twitter afterwards to an Ulster full back, after pointing his finger at him while scoring a try (basically saying "you won't catch me" as he scored). To tweet again that he heard racist abuse makes it almost certainly true.
    Zebo: "Also I hope my ears deceived me with some comments directed my way from the crowd #NotOn. Django wins in the end."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.in...-coach-calls-for-info-from-fans-37709972.html