This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

RTE's Premier League shows to be sponsored by The S*n

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Maldini, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Maldini

Maldini
    Expand Collapse

I can't believe they would be so insensitive to the biggest group (or maybe second biggest) of fans in the country.

I've sent an email registering my disgust to:

premiersoccer@rte.ie
    ryle.nugent@rte.ie (head of sport)

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/rte-joins-sky-parent-on-pitch-as-it-kicks-off-new-euro350000-sponsorship-agreement-2336299.htm

Independent.ie
    RTE joins Sky parent on pitch as it kicks off new €350,000 sponsorship agreement
    By Peter Flanagan
    Tuesday September 14 2010

RTE HAS agreed a sponsorship deal with a sister company of Sky Television, it was revealed yesterday.

The 'Irish News of the World' and the 'Irish S n', which are owned by News International, will pay €350,000 to sponsor the remainder of this season's English Premier League coverage on the state broadcaster.

News International is a division of News Corporation, which is controlled by the media mogul Rupert Murdoch. News Corporation also controls Sky, a direct competitor of RTE.

A spokesman for RTE denied there was any conflict in agreeing to the sponsorship deal and pointed to previous agreements with a number of other media companies.

"We've enjoyed a long history of print and broadcast sponsorship and media companies have regularly used it to expand their brands successfully," they said.

RTE have previously had programmes sponsored by the 'Sunday Times', which is also owned by News International, and the 'Irish Examiner'.

Under the terms of the deal, both papers will sponsor coverage on television, radio and online.

Sponsored

'Premier Soccer Saturday' on television will be sponsored by the 'Irish News of the World', while on radio 10-second ads will be broadcast with the live soccer updates on RTE Radio 1.

Sunday coverage of the Premier League will be sponsored by the 'Irish Sun' and will include ads into and out of 'Premier Soccer Sunday' on RTE Two as well as in the commercial breaks.

On the radio, 10-second ads will be broadcast on the live soccer updates on Radio 1.

The deal also covers sponsorship of soccer news on RTE's website and a variety of competitions across radio and television.

In addition, both papers will sponsor the 2FM's live broadcast from the Republic of Ireland's upcoming match against Russia at the Aviva Stadium at Lansdowne Road in October.

- Peter Flanagan

2. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

3. Maldini

Maldini
    Expand Collapse

Cheers, I think it deserves it's own thread though. We need to let them know how angry we are about this, it's the only way they'll do anything. I for one won't be watching or listening to their coverage as long as the rag is associated with them.

4. Fantana

Fantana
    Expand Collapse

Never watched it anyway. Too long and drawn out with too many ad breaks and bad analysis. Now there is a definitive reason not to watch it. MOTD and GOS are vastly superior shows.

5. Meijer the trier

Meijer the trier
    Expand Collapse

:confused::confused:

6. Fantana

Fantana
    Expand Collapse

Where's your confusion arising from young man?

7. midg23

midg23
    Expand Collapse

Lads whether you know it or not, RTE and whoever the **** else, doesnt give a **** ablut me, you, tom, dick, harry and liverpool and its support. Its all about the money these days no matter who does or does not agree with its principals

8. Irishlad

Irishlad
    Expand Collapse

Not a lot of difference in this and sky showing adds for them all the time.

Shit show anyway. I'd very rarely watch it over MOTD tbh

9. northside red

northside red
    Expand Collapse

still going to let them know how i feel, sh*ty little email asking for my license fee back, if they'll take their blood money they can give me mine back!

10. Alex Raisbeck

Alex Raisbeck
    Expand Collapse

Very rarely watch that show anyway, go to or watch most games live by one means or another.
    Out of all highlight packages I like MOTD2 the best.

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

It's a state broadcaster ...

let them have it lads, the more complaints, the more they will have to sit up and pay attention !!!

12. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Right,

I've sent the following, also asking my mates to do the same, via email and additionally posted this up on Facebook.

Please everyone, apply as much pressure as possible and ask all friends and family to do the same, then share the word:

Thanks

Garrett

premiersoccer@rte.ie
    ryle.nugent@rte.ie (head of sport)

Dear Sir,

I write to express my absolute outrage at RTE's decision to accept sponsorship of it's Premier League show, from the sun "newspaper".

One of the largest national fan bases of English Soccer, are Liverpool FC fans. Each and every one of us, as Liverpool FC fans will seek a boycott of your channels and to apply pressure on you as OUR STATE BROADCASTER - FUNDED BY OUR TAXES, coupled with protests to include protests at Donnybrook, Press Coverage etc unless you reconsider your decision to accept sponsorship from this rag of a so-called newspaper.

For fear that you, said to be an authority on sport, might not know the background to what that rag of a so called newspaper has done to Liverpool FC and it's fans, take ten minutes to surf the internet and do some research....

I'll even help you start with the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster - you will find the specifics about what this rag published, approx 3/4 down the page of this entirely independent and non biased website.

I look forward to hearing from you and seeing a fast reversal of this insensitive decision from RTE.

Yours sincerely,

13. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

e mail sent this morning im now boycotting RTE

Sir,
    I am writing to you today firstly to tell you that i am a big fan of you premiership highlight programme and i never miss a show.
    Unfortunatly it has come to my attention that your show is to be sponsored by the sun news paper and news of the world. As a massive Liverpool fan and a
    supporter of the clubs boycott of this paper because of the lies it printed about us after the events of hillsbourogh in april 1989 i am no longer going to watch this programme and will have to wait for match of the day on the BBC instead.I am not the only liverpool fan who feels this way and i am sure you will receive many more e-mails like this.Until the show is no longer linked with the sun i will no longer watch any show on RTE again,

Regards,Glen

#13 glen, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  14. trucker

trucker
    Expand Collapse

Ronnie Whelan the captain that day will no doubt sit there and take his money.

15. Beanokelly

Beanokelly
    Expand Collapse

Email sent just there

16. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Email sent.

17. The beard

The beard
    Expand Collapse

Email sent

18. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Sent. It will be interesting to see if we get any replies.

19. Raven136

Raven136
    Expand Collapse

20. dubit10

dubit10
    Expand Collapse