This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Roberto Firmino

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by IanoM7, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

It could be just people assuming that he's tired or confusing it with his below par performances. I'm happy to trust Klopps and the fitness teams judgement on this one.

vodkacolly and Gerry like this.
  2. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Football Without Fans Is Nothing

I suppose there are too types of tiredness.

One is burnout that builds up over time. If a player is playing flat out week every for four/six months, eventually the fitness will deplete. Even a one or two game rest might not be enough of a ‘rest’.

The other is more immediate fatigue that could build up from a glut of games played twice a week over a few weeks, espically if you do a lot of hard running. A one game rest in that situation may help.

Even though players get to fly around the world in private jets and first class, travelling is something that could definitely be an issue for a player.

Remember seeing stats a few years ago around League Performances of CL teams in England after an away game of two time zones or more in CL. A serious amount of draws and defeats.

As I said above Firmino was flying before the International Break and has looked off sorts since then. Hopefully this next International Break will have the opposite affect, espically if he is not used much by Brazil.

3. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

Is he traveling for a Brazil game during the brake. If so I’d play Sturridge for sure against Newcastle hoping he can score a couple with the view to him starting against the manc. Bobby will be shattered be then.

4. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Sure wasn't poor old Migs rested because he was tired from having to stand still, only a few weeks ago... at least with Firmino, I can understand how he might be tired, given the amount of running he does every game (or maybe the new wife is making him work extra hard at night time ;)).

5. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

B12 low ?

6. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

Does anybody else think that it's time to put Firmino back behind a striker or out wide? Think he's been average but feel for him as he done a job up front last year but isn't a striker. Solanke or sturridge need to start Saturday and play firmino in his proper position.

7. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Just curious here, but if you keep him in the starting 11 what is your team. I presume Couthino moves back to our midfield 3...

8. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I'd play henderson, Gini, coutinho, salah , Firmino and probably start sturridge.

9. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

What about Can?
    If he shows up he is better than hendo or gini. But I guess they can all have stinkers so I can't say who I'd have first

10. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you on Firmino and would also rather see him play behind a striker.

Sturridge is definitely the most prolific striker, but he just doesn't seem to be able to match the requirements of the team in terms of fitness levels, or overall contribution. It's a real shame, because he's been injury free (touch wood quick) for a while now, had a bit of game time and still it hasn't clicked. I'm looking to try a few ideas at the moment so would give Solanke a start with Firmino behind him for a game or two, see how that went.

It's a very tough one when everyone is fit, because we have quite a few good attacking players, but sod all real options for defensive purposes.

How about the following for the next couple of games, while we've a couple of players still unavailable due to injury etc. ?

Woodburn--Solanke--Salah

----Coutinho----Firmino----

----Can (or Grujic)---Hendo (or Grujic)----

---Milner----Matip----TAA/Gomez

----------Ward---------

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Garrett that lineup would be a sure fire sign that our manager had completely lost the plot. I would agree with Solanke coming in if it happened, I can understand Lovren getting dropped and same for Migs but to change so many people and formation at the same time would be Hari Kari. I think you're letting some anger cloud your judgement here and looking for Klopo to punish players rather than what is best for winning this match and trying to get our season up and running again.

12. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

No Ed, I am not.

What I am trying to do is find a system that might help us revitalise the team and get us going .... it's very clear the current set up and a slight variation of it ain't working and with some of the other clubs showing they have figured out how to crack us, we need to change to win in the absence of being able to bring in new better talent overnight.

If Mane was fit, he'd play but he isn't so I propose Woodburn instead to play in the same position, he's got some skill and it's sticking with Klopp's concept of having two attacking wingers. Solanke is simple being proposed because he's young, eager, doesn't have the potentially tired legs or psychological luggage that some of the regulars current have. Splitting the midfield into two layers, simply helps ground some of midfielders near defense so they will help protect the back line - which has to sacrifice a player given the headcount, but gets cover from the suggested 2 players from the Can/Hendo/Grujic option. As for Ward, there's been plenty here suggesting he get a bit of game time, he's go the three best available defenders in front of him to help him and a chance to grab the No. 1 jersey, if he plays well.

Ultimately, there's two key things here - one is bring in a bit of youth with those players wanting to get their chance and prove themselves, the second is remove some of the regulars for a few games, let them see they have to earn their place on the pitch and won't just get it because of seniority anymore.

You suggesting it would be coming Hari Kari is just crazy - you've no idea if it will work or not (not that I am certain either btw), it involves a mix of our best players and our best young players, and given what's happened with some of our games to date this season, Hari Kari is something we've been committing already with a few of the senior players the key causes of it !

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Garrett you haven't even mention that you've switched us to a back 3 with one experienced centre half which was very obviously your most explosive change. That was the part I was referring to. I don't mind moving. The rest of your team is fine, our front 5 are usually quite mobile with only the middle 3 sticking to specific positions so I don't think there's much change there and Solanke has looked bright any time I've seen him so not a bad call bringing him in. I wouldn't dream of changing our shape to 3 at the back in reaction to last week, it would signify to everyone that we had hit full on panic mode. If Klopp freaks out and starts 3 at the back with Matip, Milner and Gomez consistently he'll be gone by Christmas.

14. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Football Without Fans Is Nothing

Could do with a league goal today. Was terrible last week

edcarroll02 likes this.
  15. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I have.

Judgement call Ed, I would but you wouldn't, I see there now being potentially 5 players staying back to help cover defense with the suggestion above so adds protection and helps keep the defenders close to our goal etc. As for signifying that we'd hit full panic mode - I think the fact that you've even suggested that, implies your panicing tbh fella. Our current defensive arrangements simply don't work, we've seen that regularly not just in the Spurs game. If something is clearly not working you fix it - replace the players, or change the system, we can't change the players right now due to transfers being closed and fancy a 5 man defense consisting of two layers being worth a go rather than just keep relying on the system and players that fail us regularly.

So you think changing formation will get him sacked quicker than continuing with the current strategy and conceding goals on a regular basis, resulting in dropping significant league points ? Showing that he's prepared to try and change things to fix the problems won't get him sacked, but sticking with a system and players that doesn't work may well do.

My suggestion may be a disaster, but I'd try it faster than stick with something I know isn't working and cannot be fixed.

Sorry, I know I've taken this thread way off topic now .. happy to continue this on another thread (maybe Klopp thread) if required Ed

16. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

A brace would be better :)

... actually, I think he's scored a brace a few times for us, don't think he's ever had the hatrick though.

Agree with you entirely, he needs a goal and preferably a good goal from open play, not a simple tap in someone else has give him for preference.

17. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

What Bobby can do is unbelievable. Even if doesn't score he runs his socks off..class player love watching him

18. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Overall work effort cannot be questioned, that's for sure ....