This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Jul 11, 2015.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Don't think anybody is claiming Kenny is innovating. I reckon most of us aren't even sure if he should still be in the job at the end of this campaign. What's getting people energised and interested again(imo anyway)is the change in attitude. Players aren't being sent out with the message they're not good enough to have a proper go. During the most exciting period in Irish football history we were one of the most direct teams in the game. We're ok with goals from long balls and crosses,we just want a set up we can identify with.

Liverpool-law and SUPERFAN like this.
  2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

the goal on saturday reminded me of ireland 30 yrs ago under big jack.

3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Great days

4. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

For what its worth I think the constant crossing is still the worst aspect of our game and I think the sport has moved on to a large extent from that constant "get to the by-line and cross the ball" methodology. I'm sure statisticians will confirm it is a low percentage option, definitely worth using of course but not all the bloody time. But attack is always the last thing to improve when you are trying to change the way you play. I don't think anyone is touting Kenny as a genius but I just back the sentiment of trying to play. As someone said above, it is probably the next manager who will properly benefit. What is it about Ireland though that in a game which is all about trying to score a goal, we can't seem to produce anyone that can take a decent shot on goal? :)

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

in my opinion attack was the first thing to improve when klopp arrived.

6. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Are you disagreeing with my point, or just giving an example of an exception to the rule? Think it's fair to say most overhauls lead to reduced output until the players get used to the system. The old cliche would be that you start from the back etc.

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

McClean sums up the crossing for me. His whole game is kick and rush and fire in a cross. He did have one really good ball that was further out last night but over the last two games, he must have hit 10 or more crosses that hit first man. We may need him in the team at the moment as not enough quality however we won’t have moved on until himself and Hendrick are out of the team. Hendrick had our best chance of a goal which was free just outside the box. It was a pathetic attempt. He did Ok in general in the game but I am hoping replacements are going to come from somewhere.

Callum Robinson is a player who I think needs to start. He was decent in the Premier League and has something different about him.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  8. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Chris Hughton sacked by Forest- is he an option to replace Kenny if he doesn’t get kept on??

9. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

No. Not at this stage. I previously thought he would be a suitable choice, but I don't think his style of play suits the current squad an upcoming players