This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Jul 11, 2015.

1. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Fcuk me glad I swerved that one
    Absolute poison

2. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

So all of John Delaney’s claims that the stadium would be paid for and the FAI would be debt free next year 2020 is now wrong.

According to the FAI today it will now be at least a decade before they are debt free.

3. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I may be wrong but as far as I am aware FAI get in as much money each year as the GAA. The GAA have no debt on Croke Park and any large stadia throughout Ireland from the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick, Semple Stadium and Pairc Hi Caoimhe. The FAI don't own one Stadium, don't develop or support the local league. To much corruption and fat cats IMO.
    I was in Lansdowne as it was being built and the IRFU season tickets were all sold but FAI could shift f-all in reality as they were twice the price for the lower end ones.

4. Dzer2

Dzer2
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to burst your bubble but the gaa ain't all that. The stadium in cork really went out of hand and apart from Dublin Kerry Tipperary and Kilkenny most county boards are in a mess financially. Kildare were close to folding until Croke park stepped in. Without AIG Dublin couldn't afford the facilities they have for county team support and training. Any player with a county team gets discounts in most sports shops from under 14 up. The amount of businesses that que up to support teams and players that are in any way successful is crazy.

Stevie S and Dub13 like this.
  5. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

They would be far more commercially cute than the FAI though. I've dealt with both on this front and the FAI are in the stone age, Sure the FAI didn't introduce image rights until around 6/7 years ago

6. Dubfan

Dubfan
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

No bubble burst. Nothing I said wasn't true. I know PUC ran over by 20mil and am very aware of Kildare squandering money on centre of excellence and outside manager. There is still no debt on Croke Park, it is paid for and these stadia still do exist and club grounds around the country are developing. I am not claiming the GAA are perfect but using a so amateur organisation as a comparison to a so called professional one to highlight how poor the professional one is.

7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Luca Connell signed a four year deal with Celtic.

Fran74 likes this.
  8. Fran74

Fran74
    Expand Collapse
    Premium / Subscriber

Great move for him, hope he turns out to be top class. Not a hope he will do a Declan Rice on us.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

He is English so there's no way you can rule out him playing for his country if they really want him. It would be a huge embarrassment for the FAI if it did happen again.

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

If it was me I'd treat him like any other player in that he gets into whatever squads he gets into on merit and any time on the pitch based on the same principle. But if we're that way inclined it will probably be easy enough to lock him down to us. He's not getting a senior England call up any time soon,never mind a competitive appearance so just call him up for the next few squads where at some point you can throw him into a competitive game for 10 minutes and that's that. He could get out of 1 or 2 with an injury but he wont be near an England squad anywhere near quick enough to drag it out waiting for that call,he'd have to make a decision and there would be pressure from Celtic fans to choose us. I'll also say this is based on the chance he's not fully committed to Ireland and I'm not questioning his commitment.He could be as committed as any lad born and bred here for all I know.

11. Fran74

Fran74
    Expand Collapse
    Premium / Subscriber

There isn't a hope he gets picked for England while playing in Scotland even if he is unbelievable in the SPL. He will be capped by us pretty soon hopefully and by all accounts he's a decent lad, hopefully he will turn out to be as good as some people think he might.

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I didn't say one way or another that he would go for England or get picked for them but my point is that an English player that we're trying to poach for Ireland is always susceptible to choosing their own birth country if they are given the choice regardless of how nice a lad they are.

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Are we trying to poach him or does he consider himself Irish? Or at least as much Irish as he is English and all things being equal would choose Ireland anyway? I played with a lad who was born and raised in England but was always adamant he was Scottish,supported Scotland over England in sport,the whole 9 yards. He was as proud as any player who ever got a call up when he played for Scotland U19's.

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Kevin Kilbane is another. He turned down call ups to England underage squads if I'm not mistaken and never wanted to play international football for anybody but us.

Fran74 and xRedmanLFCx like this.
  15. Fran74

Fran74
    Expand Collapse
    Premium / Subscriber

My mate had him in his taxi last week doing a job for the FAI with the under 19's, Luca's grandparents are both Irish and by chance met in Blackpool apparently, he said there would be murder if he didn't play for Ireland. I get what you are saying but each person is different and I don't see this as us poaching rather than the lad genuinely wants to play for us.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.