This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Dub13, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Irish international John Egan moving to Sheffield United from Brentford. Club record 4m

LFCRebel and GaryMc like this.
  2. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

James McClean has completed his move to Stoke.

3. HappyRed

HappyRed
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully we give Ryan Johansson a cap soon:) would be great if he turns into a real talent!

4. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Burke on the scoresheet again for Preston

5. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

I watched it on Quest last night.

The lads picked him out. Had a good game and lovely finish for the goal.

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Declan Rice needs to consider his international allegiances and won't be included in the next Ireland squad. I'm never sure how I feel about these lads who play the whole way up at youth level and change when they reach senior. A part of me wishes that we just stopped trying these tricks with the granny rule and only played Irish born players but of course it's a results business and we don't want to try and do it the right way by supporting our local youth infrastructure so this is the only option.

7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Surprised at this myself. Listening to him he seemed it was Ireland for him and that was it.

8. HappyRed

HappyRed
    Expand Collapse

best to give them a proper cap as soon as possible:) wasn't he quoted as saying as much Niall and was looking forward to playing later in the year. I think he will be a right good player and maybe he is getting it in the ear from the club to hold out for engerland - if he gets an english cap he's worth a lot more..... not the first time this has happened in the last few years!

9. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't be surprised if that is him gone. Pulling out is quite a statement and it is hard to come back from that particularly as he has been playing for Ireland for years. Why the need to "consider" it now?

Looking at the squad, I'm amazed at how many have played LoI football. It's a pity that the FAI continue to ignore our domestic league rather than seeing that it should be the pathway to international football (via a player transferring to a higher league, of course, at some stage).

D7Hooper likes this.
  10. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Most likely the club and his agent in his ear telling him more money to be made playing for England. Shocked myself as one interview he gave you could see how much pride he had playing for Ireland and how is granny would have been so happy but in saying all that he is only 19 with people in is ear. I think he is gone now myself as well.

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I remember reading one of the Secret Footballer books and he said he was advising a talented young lad who had the choice between Ireland and England. His dad wanted him to play in an U21 game for Ireland but the SF told him it was a mistake as it would make a decision to declare for England harder.He took the player and his dad to a Nike rep who told them he couldn't give a fuck if he got 100 caps for Ireland but he'd give him a million pound deal with 1 England cap to his name.

12. mark buckley

mark buckley
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

if the lad can’t make his own mind up,what use is he,given his commitment will always be questioned.

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I’d say what has happened is that he is now in West Ham first team squad for the whole season. If he plays week in week out ahead of Wilshere or Sanchez, a fair chance he will get a call up for England. Money comes into it as outlined above, the rewards in terms of endorsements are significantly higher. Trevor Brooking could be an influence as he is big on England.

He was born in England and probably supported them growing up, so if he wants to wait on them, then wait. Had the likes of Mick McCarthy, Aldo, Jason McAteer etc had the chance to choose England when they were younger, I’d say they would have taken it, we got lucky they started at the lower end and were delighted to get any international call up.

Nowadays with the English talent filtering further down the leagues, any decent player in the PL has a chance of an England cap, espically in midfield.

14. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

I enjoyed those books, very honest.

It was alleged that the SF was Dave Kitson who also, I think, could have played for Ireland but who, like Mark Noble, declined saying that it wouldn't be fair to take the place of someone who wanted to play as he didn't feel Irish.

babbsnads likes this.
  15. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Listen to kilbane on,off the ball show this evening. He on about ur boy rice,end off the day we have been nicking players for years thru granny rules or players from the north or players not good enough to get in England team. Like of grelish and possibly rice, we can lose players aswell. We can't win all these players, doesn't matter if have friendly caps or not.
    Germany are culprit too

16. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Read Kilbane’s book (it’s very good) and he was brought up in Irish environment although in England. He knew from a young age if he made it, he would choose Ireland no matter what.

Don’t think that is the case with Grealish or Rice. As I said before back 20/30 years ago, these lads may have jumped at a cap for Ireland as path to England squad seemed very tough and a lot of time it would be mid 20s before you would get near the squad unless you were a Gazza. Nowadays it’s not as hard to make the England squad, so oppourtunity is there. Surprised Mark Noble never got a chance with England, however wondering if he has an influence over Rice also telling him to bide his time and he will make it with England.

17. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

The tweet by David Gold doesn't help the situation either. West Ham thinking about the commercial value of the player!

Rice won't play for us again. Good discussion on Off The Ball this morning

18. D7Hooper

D7Hooper
    Expand Collapse

The Engerland team's resurgence from the WC as something to be looked up to instead of the usual bi-annual embarrassment surely must have played a role here.
    He sees bog standard players like Slabhead, Trippier, Young, Stones etc being lauded as football legends with all the monetary possibilities that brings and thinks, fook that, I'm as good, I'll have some of that.

Can't blame him, if he feels Engerlish, then fair enough, but IMO it's the profile of being in that squad at the moment that appeals to his bank manager.

there's no way back for him now anyway, so just forget him and move on.

Two words for the prick: Jack Grealish.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I've no real issue with Rice holding out for England but I agree we should move on. We shouldn't let somebody play a senior international for us and then hold out to see if there's a better offer. It's ridiculous that a player can do that in the first place.A full cap whether it's a friendly or not should mean that's that. It makes a mockery of international football at a time when its regarded as a nuisance by many.

20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

You know what the worst thing about this will be, MON will gladly take him back into the fold if he were now to decide that he's committed to Ireland. I still think people would forgive him and the camp would get on with it, he's only 19 after all. He could just say that he had people in his ear about commercial endorsements etc and that he could have made an awful lot more money declaring an interest in pursuing a career with England but his heart belonged to Ireland. Fifa need to clear this up or else Ireland need to stop trying to poach players because it's embarassing, we're not a club where players decide if they want to sign or not, it makes a mockery of being an international team.