This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

other clubs transfer rumours and makey up stories

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by glen, Jul 4, 2011.

1. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0207/938956-depressed-mahrez-to-miss-city-clash/

Whilst it is a little pointless to speculate, a situation like this may have been on Klopp's mind when it came to Coutinho. I think that he alluded to a situation like this in a press conference when he expressed concerns that Coutinho might not have been fully committed if he had not been granted a move.

I see both sides of the Mahrez situation. He has given great service to Leicester who bought him for buttons. On the flip side, Leicester have made him the player that he is now and, of course, he has a contract to honour.

honald_tdb likes this.
  2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Players seem to be quite willing to do this now if they really want to force their hand, I imagine we're going to head towards a point where the length of contract that players are willing to sign will get shorter and shorter but how does a club justify paying a massive transfer fee for such a short contract. In US sports there's no such thing as paying for transfers, the money all goes to the players in their contracts.

honald_tdb likes this.
  3. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

The fake arm was a low point

4. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I'm just being precious, but Mahrez (or his mate whichever) saying he's depressed over not getting his move to City irks me.
    We all know someone or of someone who genuinely suffers from depression, and its a horrible situation for anyone to be be in, and unless Mahrez is unusually fragile I cant for the life of me see how depressed would best sum up his mental state. I'd be far more likely to go for "sulking like a 3 year old who couldnt get his way"
    As a previous poster offered - while we hope Coutinho wouldnt have behaved similarly if he hadnt gotten his move, you just cant tell. The players seem willing to sit at home for 6 months rather than bite the bullet and wait for the next window. Costa got his move and sat in the stands for 4 months, looks like Mahrez is perfectly willing to do likewise. Wonder does it ever cross their minds that what they see as a stand against their parent club could actually be telling the prospective buyer that the player is in fact a spoilt brat and do you really want that kind of headache when something invariably goes wrong if you do actually sign him.

5. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

I'm not standing up for Mahrez but depression can affect anyone, be they rich poor or whether we think they should or shouldn't be depressed. And apparently the same "friend" source says he was promised for 4 windows in a row by the club that they would let him go if a decent offer came in for him. Of course he is being paid fantastically well but they paid peanuts for him and were getting a fortune offered for him. He played great stuff for them, he stayed after they won the League for another year. He has obviously wanted out for a year at least but is tied to a contract that makes him play for a club he doesn't want to play for and live in a place he doesn't want to live. They turned down massive money for him and it's a relatively short career. At the end of the day he is human. Any other job you can pack it in and walk if you have alternatives.

6. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

I’m 100% convinced he will get his transfer this summer and I’m sure he knows that , if he thinks Leicester are messing him about
    He has the option of running down the last 2 years of his contract .
    Has to remember this window he gave them no time to bring in a replacement for his move to City .

Find it hard to swallow not getting a transfer has anything got to do with his depression if that’s true .

Not saying he doesn’t have depression as it can effect anyone
    But with 2 years left in his contract , he will geT his wish imo

7. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

I think that this is a very well made point but it is made as a LFC fan rather than as a Leicester fan. How would we feel if Coutinho had behaved similarly? We'd be spitting blood!!!

I can absolutely see Mahrez' point. Equally, I can see the club's also. It's a hard one to call.

What we also have to consider is how ruthless clubs are, including LFC, when they send players to the reserves or freeze them out when they have outlived their use. Don't think for a second that Rooney wasn't told that he was out once Lukaku was signing.

It works both ways - players are assets when it suits the club and liabilities when it doesn't. There are also players who will sit at clubs with no intention of moving off a lucrative contract.

Winston Bogarde springs to mind.

8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

No other job pays for you in quite the same which is why it's a different situation entirely. Mahrez is just as protected by his contract as the club are, if they decided in the morning to sell him there's nothing they can do if he is unwilling to to move, they either suck it up and make the most of it by playing him or they leave him in reserves or whatever but they are bound to pay his wages unless they're willing to buy him out which is a win win for the player I suppose.

It is for reasons like this that I really do think we might see the whole transfer situation changing a lot giving both parties a get out option, in the US players get contracts which have an element of guaranteed income and then clubs have a choice to either cut their losses, same goes for the player. The clubs are in a closed loop so transfer fees would be ridiculous so it's not really comparing like with like but if players are going to behave like Mahrez a new way of controlling contracts will have to be worked out.

9. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

As a general response, I was just pointing out the other side of the argument to the poster who felt he shouldn't be depressed and that he was acting like a spoilt child. I'm not saying he has depression, just that it can affect anyone regardless of their wealth or privileged position. And the fact that over a year of someone's life being in a place they don't want to be can be difficult regardless of what you are being paid, particularly if you felt you were being strung along with false promises. He probably feels he has served them very well, stayed three years and is being treated badly.

At the time Torres left us I felt in his demeanour and attitude that he was suffering from depression but that was just my amateur diagnosis.

10. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Mahrez should be told to fuk off to somewhere warm for a week's holidays to clear his head, then come back and he's playing. Anything after that week, he gets fined and disciplined.

He might be "depressed" with not having got a move to the PL leaders, on a big fat paycheck, but that's life ... he needs to get over it and move on. He's not the first it has happened to and it won't be the last. As things stand, some of the redtops are saying that he's pi$$ed off Pep with this carry on and now City won't come back for him this summer. His agent, or his family or friends, need to sit him down and tell him to cop on as he's only doing himself more damage here.

I don't believe that he's depressed, in the true sense of of the world, not unless it's a very very mild version of it. It's more likely some prima donna stuff imho.

11. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Hi mate,
    Just to clarify - I am in no way sugesting that Mahrez "shouldnt" be depressed because of his status in life being one that we would view as privileged. Depression is an illness, and makes no distinction between the rich and famous of the world and the faceless masses. If indeed he is suffering from depression, I would have the same sympathy for him I have for people I know personally who suffer from what is a debilitating condition. And I would hope for his sake he seeks and finds the help he will need to deal with it.
    It is only my opinion that using "depressed" as the reasoning for his actions just doesnt ring true for me. I very well may be wrong and the man may well be in a dark place in his life.
    Added to that depression tend to be a very - for lack of a better term - secretive affliction, not something that people tend to broadcast and I just think it was used as a throw away comment by his mate to excuse his actions.
    I have NO doubt Mahrez is unhappy about not getting his dream move, I just didnt like using "depressed" to describe his mindset coming from a mate - if it came from a health professional - me a culpa, and all luck to the man dealing with it.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

He's not depressed in my opinion and furthermore he's doing a massive disservice to people who do suffer from a very serious mental health issue by throwing this excuse out there as some sort of validation for why he is behaving like a child. He wants to move clubs, he doesn't want to honour his contract, he wants to win trophies, he wants to earn more money, he's fed up in Leicester all - these are all validways for him to feel but he is not suffering from depression.

ROCCO and Roll on 19 like this.
  13. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I was looking out for him in recent Atletico line ups and thought perhaps that he was injured. I only discovered that he now plays in China for Dalian Yifang. They got beaten 8-0 a couple of weeks back!!'

14. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Yeah him Gaitan and Fonte all making their debuts.

He is young as well so thought seemed to be that like Paulinho he would go there for a year or two,
    Get setup for life and then come back to proper football.

15. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Looks like Ronaldo is leaving Madrid

PSG imo

16. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Ronaldo in / Neymar out, in the opposite direction (although Neymar's also put a bit of bait in the water for City I see).

17. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Just hope it’s not united

Think it will see bale stay at Madrid if he leaves

18. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Sell both to pay for Neymar ?

... can't help but think that Bale would still bring in £100m, if he was sold.

It sickens me, but I'd guess that Bale would be Utd bound if he was on the move....

19. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Think they might keep Bale and guarantee him more games if Ronaldo leaves but if Neymar comes in , Bale could be sold as might see him in same situation as he is now .

20. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

That's my expectation tbh.