This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Nike Deal Confirmed

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by GaryMc, Jan 7, 2020.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

2. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

Whilst I understand that this is about revenue, I cant think of a recent Nike kit from any team that I've liked.

With the exception of Barca, they seem to be all "out of a catalogue" designs including City & England.

The Warrior/NB kits have been lovely designs and seem to have been all tailored for LFC.

I know that increased revenue means a greater chance of success on the field but I wont look forward to any iconic nike kits.

Garrett, Sib and Stevie S like this.
  3. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I dont find it encouraging that there was no swashbuckling/ headline grabbing figures mentioned?!
    Nike kits are awful looking alot of the time, just look at the chelski home shirt errrrrggggh !

4. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Love the current Arsenal Home & Away especially the Away made by Adidas.

5. bruschi

bruschi
    Expand Collapse

I wouldnt be a massive fan of nike kits either, but it would be hard to make a mess of an all red strip, so should be safe enough. I liked the darker red that NB had gone with, just freshened things up a bit.

6. sligo fan

sligo fan
    Expand Collapse

The indo says the deal is worth up to 80 million per year ?

7. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

I only like retro jerseys and haven't bought a new kit in decades so doesn't bother me who the kit sponsor is, the more exposure and money coming in the better for the club so happy days.

8. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

From. Echo earlier

Deal worth around £30m-a-year, guaranteed, some £15m less than the bottom line earned from their wildly successful agreement with current manufacturers New Balance.

However, the Reds feel the add-ons and exposure afforded to them by their terms with Nike - a company who posted a fourth quarter revenue increase of $10.2 billion (£7.92bn) in 2018 - will see their eventual income dwarf the fee from New Balance.

Garrett likes this.
  9. Carlsburger

Carlsburger
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Adidas had some great kits but decided to walk away when we were at our lowest. Warrior I tough was a poor kit. NB wasn't great to start, but some of the more recent kits were really very good ... but they seemed to be a victim of LFC success. For example the black GK kit. Great design but sold out straight away & never re-stocked.

I really like Nike as a brand & am looking forward to the new kit & apparel. Their running gear is excellent. The book by Phil Knight is a really good read & very inspiring. As founder of Nike he started with nothing but a crazy idea to make a better running shoe & eventually took on the big brands of Adidas, Puma & Tiger (Asics). I couldn't put the book down. He came across as a well intentioned character and was honest enough to own up to mistakes he had made & luck that had allowed the company to survive when it was close to failing.

My only worry for Nike / LFC deal is that we get crappy Air Jordan logo on some kits. It looks poxy on PSG kit.

10. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Can be sure that the money men know exactly what the deal will net them from extra sales generation. They didnt go through a court battle to get to Nike for the sake of it.

Having a good laugh at all the hysterics online about how "M'Bappe to Liverpool" is as good as done now that Nike make our shirts and MBappe is a Nike ambassador. All seem to miss the fact that PSG kits are also made by Nike so they already have him in their gear. I'm deliberately ignoring all the other reasons we will never sign a 250m player as all that seems to matter to these genius' is a classic case of adding 2 + 2 and getting fifty twelve.

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

A manc that I know claimed that they are getting £75m pa from Adidas .... is that true and is the gap still really that wide ?

12. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'd say they're in a different stratosphere with jersey sales than us, their success over the past 30 years at a time when globalisation was becoming normal will take time to wind in but we're definitely on the right track, the club would have secured the best deal available to them. I

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

14. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Historically, I wouldn't have been as surprised by the reported difference in numbers Ed, but now ... I'd have thought we'd have closed the gap quite a bit, and this is a new deal based on our current performance - where we're CL champions, World Club champions, finished the PL in second place last season, and are currently top of the table etc. so you'd think we'd be commanding top dollar (namely something close to what Utd are apparently getting, assuming there's no one significantly higher again).

15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The only ones that would know the inner workings of the deal are the club and Nike themselves but it sounds to me like we're on a deal wihch is about half of Utds kit deal. I take your point regarding that we have won a CL recently which is a better on field position than Utd but all Nike care about is how many jerseys they're going to sell on the back of this deal to make back their investment and that comes down to the global fanbase. Liverpool winning a CL last year and (hopefully) a league this year will hopefully start to see us bridge that gap but they did it for 30 years while we sat on the sidelines letting the modern game pass us by. Look at the numbers following each club on social media, the difference is vast so it will give you some indication of where the number of followers of each club are at on a global basis.

https://footballpredictions.net/social-rating/world/top-20-football-clubs

16. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Isn't Uniteds deal not fully guranteed? So that headline figure of 75mil a year is based on them winning trophies and being in the Champions League at the bare minimum. I'm sure the amount is scaled back an awful lot and they also probably don't get bonuses for selling x-amount of shirts/products. I'm probably misrepresenting this but at the time of the deal announcement there were a few analysts that were saying although it is a lot, it's contingent on them remaining wildly successful and they gave up rights that others didn't, like Adidas own the global production and distribution of ALL dual branded products. So in essence they can use Uniteds crest/name on whatever they like as long as there's an Adidas logo on it as well and United don't get an extra penny.

EDIT: Seems they are getting a 30% cut on their annual fee due to missing out on the Champions League for 2 consecutive years. They're now behind Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City & Chelsea in teams of yearly amount.

Garrett likes this.
  17. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Interesting to hear on Second Captains the quotes from Adidas head man in 2012 after they ‘dropped’ Liverpool. At the time I thought simply Warrior came in with a better deal but appears Adidas dropped LFC due to lack of EUROPEAN football success.

This link has the quotes from the time https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...erpool-fc-disappointment-after-adidas-3355414

the guy from Adidas back then now runs Bayern Munich

Chambers and Garrett like this.
  18. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

I may be wrong but I thought the £30 mil plus the percentage we get from each sale (which Utd does not receive) will mean our deal will work out better annually with figures of an estimated £80 mil quoted.

Garrett likes this.
  19. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

20. Happy Wednesdays

Happy Wednesdays
    Expand Collapse

A separate kit for the kids playing in the Cup competitions maybe!