This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Movies 2019

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Dub13, Dec 31, 2018.

1. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Bought tickets to see him in June for some reason, actually quite looking forward to it now. Must check out the movie.

2. Terry

Terry
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Godzilla poor
    Aladdin very good

3. donnacha

donnacha
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Hotel Mumbai - well worth the watch. I'd give it a 4 out of 5. Was half thinking of posting this one is documentaries though its really a thriller based on the Mumbai attacks that happened at the Taj Mahal in 2008.

Garrett likes this.
  4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Off this week so got to go to see Diego Maradona this morning in cinema. Excellent although not as a good as Senna.

Also watched Vice this avo with Christian Bale about Dick Cheney. Good movie

5. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Where did you see it..? I looked last week and it didn't seem to have a wide release.

6. donnacha

donnacha
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Going to be watching Free Solo tonight. Have had it recommended to me by loads of people so hoping it lives up to the hype.

7. Sib

Sib
    Expand Collapse

Watched it in the lighthouse the other day. Very good, even the missus enjoyed it.

8. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

10.45am in Cineworld

9. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Toy Story 4 getting great reviews from anyone I know who has seen it.

10. Carlsburger

Carlsburger
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

The Irishman

Due out later this year, based on a book "I heard you paint houses". Fascinating book about the life of hit man Frank Sheeran, I read it a few years ago. Excited about the film as I'm a big fan of Scorsese. The 'hits' Sheeran claimed to have done are unreal.

GaryMc likes this.
  11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Al Pacino, De Niro, Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel.

Should be good.

Been a very poor year for films. Been looking to go to cinema for last two months and nothing worth Going to unless it’s kids films

Stevie S likes this.
  12. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I swear you say that every year but tbh, you're probably right.

I was reading a piece about how 1999 is often considered the best year ever for movies and when you look at a list of some of the movies released in 1999 it's crazy how much quality there was in just 1 year.

"Being John Malkovich, Magnolia, Fight Club, Election, The Green Mile, Rushmore, The Matrix, The Sixth Sense, Three Kings, Office Space, The Insider, The Talented Mr Ripley, The Cider House Rules, October Sky, Kikujiro, American Beauty, The Hurricane, Girl Interrupted, Boys Don't Cry, Angelas Ashes, All About My Mother, Arlington Road, Martin Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead, Kubricks' Eyes Wide Shut, David Lynch's The Straight Story, Spike Lee's Summer of Sam, Mike Leigh’s Topsy-Turvy, David Cronenberg’s Existenz, Jim Jarmusch’s Ghost Dog : The Way of the Samurai, Milos Forman’s Man on the Moon, Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow.
    Wim Wenders’ Cuban music documentary, Buena Vista Social Club, was a sensation.
    And genre movies – thrillers, romantic comedies, family cartoons and horror movies – weren’t doing too badly, either. 1999 was the year of The Thomas Crown Affair, The Mummy, Notting Hill, Bowfinger, American Pie, Drop Dead Gorgeous, 10 Things I Hate About You, Toy Story 2, The Iron Giant and The Blair Witch Project.

If 1999 was the year when everything went right, it might also have been the year when everything began to go wrong.

The release of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace proved that long-dormant series could be lucratively revived. Toy Story 2, the first ever Pixar sequel, proved that cartoon follow-ups needn’t be straight-to-video cheapies, but major, money-spinning phenomena. The Matrix proved that digitally-enhanced superhero action could attract audiences of all ages. And The Blair Witch Project proved that found-footage horror in particular, and microbudget horror in general, could be a gold mine.

As wonderful as those films may have been – The Phantom Menace excepted, obviously – they taught Hollywood some toxic lessons. Instead of continuing to bet on young mavericks, studio executives twigged that there was a fortune to be made from superhero blockbusters, Disney sequels, merchandise-friendly franchises and cheapo horror movies. And that’s what we get in 2019, week after week. "

13. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Hotel Mumbai is a decent watch.

Shocking stuff from the attacks there in 2008

vodkacolly likes this.
  14. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Once upon a Time... In Hollywood

Really enjoyed it, a wee bit long maybe but Leo and Pitt are top class in it.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Blinded By The Light is very good. Worth watching for the soundtrack alone.

16. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

This could easily fall under documentaries either , but I watched Diego Maradona today. What a film. Brilliant. I would suggest if watching it, watch it alone as it’s all sub titles so you need to focus on it. It was only released in June but you can get it in HD in all illegal places if you get me.

17. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Saw it in Cinema. Brilliant film. Made by same team as Senna which was even better

18. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Thoroughly enjoyed Joker. Absolutely fucked up.

Pheonix is excellent.

19. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Agree if you see one film in cinema this year, make it this one

mushypea likes this.
  20. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

See the latest Fast and Furious has finished filming. I'm an absolute sap for that franchise.

The franchise is such a money making machine, I cant see any way they EVER stop making them (Fast and Furious 84 Vin Deisel chasing some bad guy around in his tricked out mobility scooter)

Just looking at the cast, and theres a few surprises. Jordana Brewster (Mia) is back after basically missing the last few movies as I suppose it was hard have her in it without Paul Walker.
    Helen Mirren is back, but no listing for Statham, Evans or Kirby (Mirrens kids) or the Rock - maybe moving them all to the Hobbs and Shaw side of the franchise permanently since theyve created a big bad for them to play with?

Charlize Theron is back too, and wait for it.....John Cena seemingly has a big role.