This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Movies 2019

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Dub13, Dec 31, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Just on her line of "CW is prepared to bet no one has watched My Left Foot this century, but they will have watched when Harry Met Sally at least four times"

My Left Foot was/is part of the English syllabus in secondary school and chances are students will watch/be forced to watch that multiple times. I did myself, I have never seen When Harry Met Sally either, let alone 4 times.

But I do think the point that is made is interesting, and I'd tend to agree with it, all movies should be considered for an Oscar.

babbsnads likes this.
  2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I think no matter what year you use as an example it's still very subjective and she's gone for probably one of her favourite comedy films and one that would be considered an all time classic,and while I cant say if WHMS deserved a nomination ahead of any of those films(the only one of the film's that were nominated that year that I've seen is My Left Foot) imo it still does illustrate her point. You'll often hear people years later talking about it being a travesty how certain dramatic performances weren't recognised,but it's rare to hear the same about comedic performances. Even when Marisa Tomei won for what was a fantastic performance in My Cousin Vinny,almost immediately rumours started to circulate that there had been a mix up and the wrong name was announced.

Maybe it comes down to personal preference but the idea that you're probably more likely to watch a comedy over and over,or that it's the one genre you'd go to because you want to feel a certain way,struck a chord with me. And also how some of the required characteristics of film making are ignored when it comes to animated movies too. For instance the idea and writing for Inside Out imo is one of the most brilliant and clever I've ever came across.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  3. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse

Her broad point is very true, comedy is seen as "lesser" or at least "less-worthy", whereas most actors tend to agree that the ability to do great comedy is one of the toughest things an actor can pull off.

It's also true to say though that there are 100s of movies you could point out that didn't do great box office or didn't get great reviews or were dismissed as genre or date movies which are only seen as classics a number of years later. WHMS is a classic though and well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

babbsnads likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry
    Expand Collapse

Took the kids to see Mary Poppins and they loved it.

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Thought green book was very good, really enjoyed it.

carramagic likes this.
  6. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Yeah me too. Watched it today

Honda likes this.