This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Most you put in 1 bet ?

Discussion in 'Gambling' started by Anthony1892, Mar 13, 2014.

1. mark buckley

mark buckley
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Few years back ..put 600 euro on Real Madrid who were 2-0 down at half time in a la liga match and got odds off 6/5 on them to win...think Khedira scored in last minute for a 3-2 win....nearly shit myself but was so worth it

2. Colm75

Colm75
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Off gambling 6 months now thanks in no small part to something a top fellow off the site said to me at Leicester away back in September.
    I haven't even logged onto a gambling website since then. It hasn't cured my insomnia but at least I'm not scrolling flashscores in the middle of the night checking up on the latest in the Bolivian league or some other rubbish!

mousey, babbsnads, padski08 and 12 others like this.
  3. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Fair play.

Colm75 likes this.
  4. dogrady26

dogrady26
    Expand Collapse

Had €800 in the Betfair account, risked it all by laying Birmingham at 5/1 away to Club Brugge in the Europa League in 2011 with the aim of having approx €160 profit to have almost €1,000 balance on PAOK at 1/3 home to Shamrock Rovers later on that night. Brugge went 1-0 up after 2 minutes, Thought it was in the bag then. Birmingham player got a bad injury near the end of the game at 1-1, 11 mins added on then if I remember correctly. Chris Wood scored the winner in the 10th minute of injury time. Couldn't believe my eyes. Birmingham were bottom of the Championship at the time too! PAOK beat Rovers then later so I should've had a lovely balance in the account if it wasn't for Birmingham!

Had €450 on Unowhatimeanharry in the Stayers at Cheltenham two years ago as well at 6/4. Two disastrous bets.

Stevie S likes this.
  5. liver06

liver06
    Expand Collapse

Fair play,as a compulsive gambler meself,i havent had a bet in 5 years,ill never forget me last bet,was ballymun in all ireland club final,if i recall right they where 11 points up at one stage only to be bet by a point,sickner at the time,looking back it was madness.Its a silent addiction in this country and destroys so many families.Thank god im grand now and i actually enjoy football and racing now.Ive never been tempted to place a bet which is great.

6. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

1000 on Hurricane Fly in the champion hurdle back in the day at 4/5. Lost, was on beans on toast for a while. I think the problem with gambling in this country is people don't actually know what they are gambling on. And by that i mean, how many people have you seen in a bookies lumping on a horse thats been backed from 10/1 into 7/2. Completely the wrong thing to be at. If you can back every 7/2 shot at 10/1 you will be in profit, its these mug bets that attribute to the problem gambling in this country. If you can stay disciplined you will be in profit. Too many people with no idea what they are at. Another thing bookies love is accumulators - the muggiest bet of all time regardless of all the massive wins we see on twitter etc. Think of Annie Power a few years ago at Cheltenham, how many people were waiting on thousands of euro had she won. Would be a completely different story had she jumped the last and alot of people would have won alot of money.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

No offence mate,but a post that starts off admitting to losing a grand on 1 fucking horse shouldn't really be so harsh on other gamblers. Anybody betting money they can scarcely afford to lose has a problem.

liver06 likes this.
  8. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

No offence taken, i was young and foolish had loads of money. You have obviously completely missed my point, nice one :rolleyes:

9. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Its all about being "In The Know". My cousin is a horse trainer and when at the track you will know in advance what horses are actually trying or not. Christy Roche & Tony Martin were great men for this. They always liked a good stroke.

Cheltneham is too competitive to be lumping on as all horses are trying to win.

10. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

Charles Byrnes, Barney Curley etc. You have to be in the know but there are ways of making money - a quick look on youtube for horse racing trading will show that.

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Was your point not that the biggest problem with gambling in this country that people aren't clued up enough? If that's it then I don't think I missed it,I just don't agree with it. There's many people with just as much knowledge as you have that have been destroyed by gambling addiction and staying disciplined ceases to be an option for an addict.

Colm75 likes this.
  12. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

Yeah exactly my point. Backing blind is ridiculous, or at least if you beat the price you have some chance. Ivan Yeats another example of a lad that hadn’t a clue when it comes to gambling and lost all his shops as a result. What part don’t you agree with? I’d like to hear your counter argument

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I've just given you my counter argument. People just as clued up as you have fallen into addiction and addiction is the biggest problem with gambling in this country.

14. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

Well I would disagree. Not having a clue is the biggest problem in this country. You wouldn’t jump into a car and try to drive it without not knowing what your at

15. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I rather laying a horse who isn't trying than trying to back a winner.

16. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

100% agreed. In an 8 runner race you have 7 chances of winning as opposed to backing a horse and having only 1 chance. Obviously odds etc have to be considered.

RedDaveO5 likes this.
  17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Extremely arrogant and extremely naive point of view and I hope you don't have to learn the hard way why that's the case. There's a lot of families suffering,many of them will experience their suffering get worse next week and there was a time for plenty of the addicts causing that suffering where they thought they had it all figured out. They had your cockiness and your discipline right up until the point they didn't. A person who can swim is statistically far more likely to drown than somebody who cant,there's a lesson in that.

liver06, Pfoley, Colm75 and 2 others like this.
  18. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Would agree with this.

I know a lot of lads who are well clued up on horses. They will know every runner in every race next week and probably back every race. Depending on how it goes they will either be up a few k or down a few k by end of the week.

I’ll know a few horses in the big races and will follow the odds. In grand scheme of things I don’t have a clue but Enjoy the big meetings as everyone will be trying and won’t lose the run of myself. Won’t be massive stakes. I’ll be between 200 up and 200 down by end of the week more than likely.

babbsnads likes this.
  19. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

Sorry now but anyone betting in every race next week is a recipe for disaster. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on gambling and I stand by my opinion that the problem is and starts with people not having a clue. The whole beginners luck thing is the worst thing that can happen creates a false sense of invincibility and inevitably ends losing it and back to square one. As I said everyone is entitled to their opinion

Honda likes this.
  20. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Would those that do have clue not be risking bigger stakes though? At least that is my experience