This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Loris Karius

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by flies, May 24, 2016.

1. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Would imagine we cant call back any loanee, as the loan term starts with the signing of the contract rather than if/when they play for the clubs they are loaned out to. Sky had a thing up earlier about the new loan rules and theres a couple of clauses specific to goalkeepers "to ease transition"

Clubs are permitted to sign a goalkeeper on a seven-day ‘emergency loan’ basis if they do not have a senior goalkeeper that has made five first-team apps.
    Clubs will be able to recall a goalkeeper at 24 hours’ notice from a loan at another club if they are unable to field two fit goalkeepers in their 18-man matchday squad.
    A player registered on a standard loan may continue to play non-first team football for his parent club during the term of his loan period

redabbey and babbsnads like this.
  2. Clerk

Clerk
    Expand Collapse

I might be off my game but l actually don't think this is the end of the World. Mignolet although not good enough and wildly inconsistent will need to step up, if he does great, if not surely that will be the final nail in his Liverpool career. Personally l'd love to see the back of him but if he does well happy Days so a win win. Just hope Karius's injury heels up ok. Nothing wrong with a bit of competition either.

3. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't expecting him to start the season in nets. Am I on my own in that?

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I doubt you were on your own Bob but I was convinced he would.

bobby benitez likes this.
  5. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The whole contract extension thing tells me Klopp rates Mingolet. He probably has some doubts, hence signing this lad but I still think he was number 1 until his next mistake.

6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

You could well be right,I'd forgotten about Mingolet's contract extension.

7. Skintown Red

Skintown Red
    Expand Collapse

Wasn't sure myself but then Klopp asked him to miss the Olympics. After I heard that I thought he was guaranteed to start.

Either way it's awful news for the fella...never nice to join a new club and get injured straight away

8. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That was also my own thinking, when I heard about Karius being persuaded to opt out of the German Olympic team. I only saw Mignolet starting the 2nd round League Cup tie.

As always just my own opinion but that was how It looked to me as well.

9. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Me neither in truth, but I know Mignolet cannot be relied upon and our only other option is an aging fella who some of us probably thought might have been joining the coaching staff, rather than the squad etc. It's an unncessary risk to go into the new season like this imho and on the assumption that we were not going to go and sign another keeper this window, trying to get Danny back made more sense to me.

I take your point about what might be best for Danny in the long term, but we need to put the club first. Also, who knows, if Danny got some first team games for LFC this season, that might be great for his confidence (assuming he played well). Lets not forget, we will play two cup competitions along with the PL games so there is opportunity for rotation.

10. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

When I heard about the injury to Loris Karius tonight I'd had still not watched the brief highlights of the game against Chelsea in Pasadena, watching in the last hour, the immediate thought that went through my head was did the goalkeeper suffer the injury punching Dejan Lovren in the head, sure enough that is the case as reported by James Pearce tonight.

Very unfortunate injury. Mignolet could not have been expecting the opportunity to line up as the Liverpool keeper at the start of the season.

11. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

No, if he was, he'd be still at the club.

Shane_90 likes this.
  12. stevieg

stevieg
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Extremely unlucky for him.

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to see Mignolet and Moreno playing together for us again - they will most likely be starting against Arsenal away now.

13. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Mignolet doesn't do well under pressure and I believe he plays better when he has nothing to lose and doesn't think about what he has to do in goal. I believe he over thinks things too much.
    Hopefully he'll see this as a chance where he has nothing to lose as it appeared Karius was going to start the season in goal and hopefully plays a blinder in the opening few months.

14. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

No. Still think that Simon will be 1st name on the team sheet unfortunately.

15. KOPSTAR

KOPSTAR
    Expand Collapse

F--k thats unlucky

16. Phil!

Phil!
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

We've all been saying a while that we needed direct competition or a replacement for Mignolet, we have competition now and Mignolet will know he has a got a bit of a pass for the first few games to show why he should be number 1 so hopefully he steps up to the plate.

17. RMG

RMG
    Expand Collapse

Like others have said I reckon Mignolet would still be number 1 until his next mistake, Karius in goal for cup games.

Huge blow for him though, never a good time for an injury.

18. CHARMAC

CHARMAC
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

19. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Good stuff.

20. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

A couple of mistakes tonight, that were not costly.